Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Overtime... leave it alone or change it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Overtime... Four extra minutes of basketball. A last-second shot from half court or a tip-in as the buzzer goes off to send a game to overtime. Some of the best fan and player reaction videos you will see come from a game going in to OT.

Some games take three or four OT's to decide a winner. Four OT's is sixteen minutes of extra play, that's an entire half (duh). In the district or regional tournament, that can really take a toll on a good team that doesn't have a deep bench or even a team that does have a good bench if some players foul out. Yes, I know kids should be in shape by mid-February, but a Friday night regional semi-final game that goes to 4 OT's followed up by a Saturday championship game can make any team play terrible.

Here's my topic of discussion.
- Should we leave the OT format the way it is?
- Should we change the format after the 2nd OT?

My proposition is to change the format after the 2nd OT. Soccer, wrestling, college football, NFL... these sports have a different format to decide a winner in OT that reflects the specific type of competition outside of a specific time frame.

High school Soccer has the Shootout after one OT period.
NHL Hockey has a 5 minute Sudden Death OT, if no winner, then they go to the penalty shootout.
High school and NCAA wrestling have a 1 minute sudden death period. This is followed up by two 30 second periods. If still no winner a 30 second Ultimate Tie Breaker is wrestled.
NFL OT is decided by the first team to score a TD or the whoever scores the first points after both teams have had one possession of the ball.
NCAA football makes teams go for a 2 pt. conv. after the 2nd OT.

Basketball can adopt an OT procedure to determine a winner outside of a set time period.
IMO, the most logical competition would be some type of shooting contest. The last five players on the floor after the 2nd OT would get two shots a piece from a random spot from the 3 point line inside the key to the baseline, the team with the most wins. If tied, the process repeats from a different spot until a winner is determined. That way, the game ends quicker and your players don't exert themselves beyond their means in a 4 OT contest.
like the idea of making a change.

Maybe do a 4 minute overtime, then a 2 minute 2nd overtime, 1 minute 3rd overtime, then maybe a shootout from the free throw line would be interesting..
NO, leave it alone! You play the whole game one way then change in overtime is not my idea of how to do things. As far as other sports that do different things, more power to them, just don't screw around with basketball!
Confusednicker:

Preach walter!!!
Leave it
Yeah, I say leave it alone. Some teams may have better shooters than others, but that does not mean they are the better team. Let the traditional basketball rules prevail the winner.
First overtime: I say let each head coach shoot 10 free throws, the one that hits the most wins the game.

second overtime: If they are still tied after the coaches shoot then each team picks a referee. They will shoot 10 free throws and the one that makes the most, their team will win.

Third overtime: If it is still tied after the refs shoot, then the fans line up in alternating fashion. The first one to hit a half court shot, their team wins the game.
[Image: what-did-you-say-gif.gif] Baby ole Fatpat seen some crazy stuff but brutha this takes the taters! Ole Fatpat likes your logic but look here brutha ole Fatpat can tear a concession stand up in 4 minutes baby! Slim the OT and concessions lose dollas and ole Fatpat loses weight! #leaveitbe #calorie&$$$ More mash taters please!!!
Say what you will, but I think basketball OT is an issue the NFHS competition committee or the KHSAA BOC needs to take re-examine.

Give the players two, four minute periods to try and determine a winner. If that still doesn't determine a winner, IMO, an alternate approach needs to happen. Maybe they can come up with a better scenario or procedure.

Flashback to the 2011 state finals. Christian County & Rowan County went to double OT for the state championship. Imagine the nerves and the pressure the players & fans would feel . Both teams and the crowd would be hanging on to every shot like their life depended on it. Forty minutes of basketball wasn't enough to determine a winner. The five players that were on the court as the 2nd OT ended would get to step up to the free throw line in alternating fashion and have two shots. Most kids that play high school ball have been in their backyard or playing ball somewhere and played that scenario or something similar out in their head.
Might as well just play HORSE!
How many games go past two overtimes? Not many. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And if you can't take the pressure then don't play
Great idea, Pulp.

I say both teams play “knockout” after the second OT
walterwhite Wrote:Might as well just play HORSE!

:lmao:
Football, Soccer, Hockey, and Softball all have different ways of dealing with overtimes from how the game is played before going to overtime. And they are now proposing baseball to change as well. It is not to far from the realm of reality that they do something for basketball to. Might even get teams to actually practice free throws during the year. hahahaha...
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Say what you will, but I think basketball OT is an issue the NFHS competition committee or the KHSAA BOC needs to take re-examine.

Give the players two, four minute periods to try and determine a winner. If that still doesn't determine a winner, IMO, an alternate approach needs to happen. Maybe they can come up with a better scenario or procedure.

Flashback to the 2011 state finals. Christian County & Rowan County went to double OT for the state championship. Imagine the nerves and the pressure the players & fans would feel . Both teams and the crowd would be hanging on to every shot like their life depended on it. Forty minutes of basketball wasn't enough to determine a winner. The five players that were on the court as the 2nd OT ended would get to step up to the free throw line in alternating fashion and have two shots. Most kids that play high school ball have been in their backyard or playing ball somewhere and played that scenario or something similar out in their head.

Is there a problem with that?

If this is an NFHS issue, what about the NCAA? NAIA? NBA? FIBA?
This is making a problem out of a solution, Pulp.
If you want to change this rule, or any other rule there is a process. Below is the form to propose a rule change:

http://www.nfhs.org/RuleChangeProposal
walterwhite Wrote:Might as well just play HORSE!

You are KILLING ME walter!!

No. If it's not broke don't fix it.
A team sport should never end on an individual task.
I can remember when college football would end in ties.
I think the rules are fine they way they are. In my opinion, changing to a shootout would promote more stall ball from the “weaker teams” to give them a better chance of winning.
The only thing I would change is the foul rules. I would give each player one additional foul in each overtime period. We give the teams an extra timeout due to the extended time, the players should get an extra foul.
i dont think they should change anything. what if a player fouls out in the third quarter, then he would be allowed to play in the overtime. maybe the other coaches gameplan was to foul that player out, that would ruin his game plan. thats part of the strategy of coaching. players know how many fouls they have so they need to adjust
hitter Wrote:i dont think they should change anything. what if a player fouls out in the third quarter, then he would be allowed to play in the overtime. maybe the other coaches gameplan was to foul that player out, that would ruin his game plan. thats part of the strategy of coaching. players know how many fouls they have so they need to adjust

So then they should take away the extra timeout that teams get in overtime, right? Coaches know how many timeouts they get.
I agree
No reason to change it, although it has been altered before. Not sure how long it’s been, but overtime used to be only 3:00 instead of 4:00. I know in ‘87 when Clay beat Ballard in ot in state title game it was still 3:00.