Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Sweet 16 draw
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wednesday:
Region 13 vs. Region 14
Region 11 vs. Region 7
Region 12 vs. Region 4
Region 15 vs. Region 5

Thursday:
Region 2 vs. Region 10
Region 8 vs. Region 1
Region 3 vs. Region 9
Region 6 vs. Region 16

Horrible draw for regions 7 and 11.
For the fans that go watch the whole tournament, this is a terrible draw, your 2 favorites (7 and 11) play first game and your next 2 contenders (6 and 9) would meet in qrts. on Friday.

Makes for poor semi final games, but maybe a decent championship game.

Brings up the case of should it be seeded
Poor Regions 7 & 11. Let's look back at the past six seasons.

State Champions
2012: Trinity (Louisville) - Region 7.
2013: Madison Central - Region 11.
2016: PLD - Region 11.

State Runner-Up
2012: Scott County - Region 11.
2013: Ballard - Region 7.
2014: Scott County - Region 11.

They sure are hurting for success in these two regions.
CADEREECE Wrote:For the fans that go watch the whole tournament, this is a terrible draw, your 2 favorites (7 and 11) play first game and your next 2 contenders (6 and 9) would meet in qrts. on Friday.

Makes for poor semi final games, but maybe a decent championship game.

Brings up the case of should it be seeded

I agree.
Who in the world would seed it? I have zero faith in an accurate draw or that it somehow makes a difference.

Win and advance simple as that.....people worried that they should not have lost in the first round but because if they did seed they would/should have lost in the second round. Cry me a river.
IAM22 Wrote:Who in the world would seed it? I have zero faith in an accurate draw or that it somehow makes a difference.

Win and advance simple as that.....people worried that they should not have lost in the first round but because if they did seed they would/should have lost in the second round. Cry me a river.

So, you would have a blind draw in the district tournaments as well? How about the NCAA tournament?
rojas Wrote:So, you would have a blind draw in the district tournaments as well? How about the NCAA tournament?

Much more parity with a 16 team field as opposed to 64. With the way the NCAA has stacked some brackets in recent years, I'd imagine some would think drawing for the Sweet 16 couldn't go over much worse with some fan bases. A team beating Duke and taking their path has resulted in some surprising Final Four participants (see: South Carolina in 2017).

In all honesty, I think that the average person who goes to the Sweet 16 yearly, regardless of who plays, wouldn't mind seeing the "city" schools like the 7th and 11th playing and knocking off one another early, especially if it's a Lexington Catholic-Trinity matchup of privates.
rojas Wrote:So, you would have a blind draw in the district tournaments as well? How about the NCAA tournament?

Districts are seeded based on head to head games. Yes, some district do a blind draw.

Speaking of districts, I still do not understand how you lose in a tournament and still advance.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the system now.

There can only be one champion in Kentucky so you have to win them all anyway. It all comes out in the wash.

I would like to see more consistency at the district level. To me, it's odd there are so many ways to do it. Between the two districts closest to me. One seeds by the regular season results in girls and boys, while another seeds the girls by Dave Cantrall's ratings and the boys have a blind draw.
rojas Wrote:I agree.

Keeps the possibility open for a Hoosiers type story to occur. Keep it the way it is.
bobcats#1fan Wrote:Keeps the possibility open for a Hoosiers type story to occur. Keep it the way it is.

As far as I Hoosier-type story goes, I honestly think that it might do as much to hurt as help.

Typically, because of the love they get as an underdog and the weaker competition night in and night out, I think that the smaller schools might be a little more overrated than underrated.

I think the things that are really underrated if you seated everything from District down, are the ones playing in Lexington and Louisville who are about the 5th to 6th best team in their own region. Just good enough to play close to the big dogs, but not so good that they get tons of exposure, especially for teams that mostly play others in the area.

Case in point, saw a Seneca team in 2010 or 2011 that I would have a hard time believing that there were 25 teams in the state better than, but they couldn't get past Trinity and Ballard to even get out-of-district, and if you didn't see them play in person, you probably didn't hear much about them.
Look like the first round could determine the week.