Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Father Of 3 Dies After Sand Tunnel Collapses During Vacation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Family members say a Texas father died two days after a sand dune collapsed on him at a Florida beach.

The St. Augustine Record reports that deputies and paramedics responded to Crescent Beach, just south of St. Augustine, on Sunday afternoon. Rescue officials say they found 35-year-old Lee Thomas Goggin buried under several feet of sand in a hole that had been dug out parallel to the dunes and then apparently collapsed.

"Today there was a freak accident involving my older brother, Lee Goggin," the family wrote on a GoFundMe page. "Our family was just starting off on vacation when we stopped in at the beach in St. Augustine, FL to let the kids burn some energy. Lee was building a tunnel in the sand when it collapsed on him."

Officials say Goggin was taken to a St. Augustine hospital in critical condition. His sister said Sunday that he was alive but not breathing on his own.

Rachel Goggin Burt posted on Facebook Tuesday that her brother had been pronounced dead.

"It is with great sorrow and sadness that I write this. My precious, big brother is with Jesus," she wrote. "Our hearts are shattered, but we don't grieve without hope. Lee Goggin is where he has prepared to be. Having accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior, he is in Heaven and we'll see him again someday."

The St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office is investigating what caused the sand tunnel collapse.

Goggin is survived by his wife and his three children.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/father-of-3-...n/15940472