Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 13th region rest of season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Only three weeks left in the regular season, wonder what are everyone’s thoughts about how it’s gonna play out. Things have gotten scrambled some with the turmoil at Corbin, Knox Central, Harlan Co. and South stumbling a little bit, and North throwing in a clunker vs. Rowan Co. Can’t imagine any other team besides those five having a chance at even winning a game in regional tournament.
Right now I give Corbin the edge to win championships with Knox Central,North Laurel and South all in the final four. :popcorn:
I think Corbin is playing good ball. The win against HC and having big games from Rice and Wine is big for tourney play. Barton coming back too will add much needed depth.
Knox is one of the most dangerous teams in the region. They can score in bunches. Seem to have went on a cold spell lately, will be interesting to see how they finish out the season.
North has put together a nice season but has losses against SL and HC. If they can get at least a win or even both wins over Corbin and knox in their 3 games, they would enter the tourney with all the confidence in the world.
South has one of the tougher schedules to rap up the year. If after the coin flips they have to play Whitley in first round of district, I believe they’d be playing for their lives. I think playing good competition helps but I wouldn’t wanna enter district play on a losing streak.
Harlan county is well coached and has solid kids on their squad. I would say they have a favorable schedule to wind up the season and if they beat Corbin at home you could see them enter tournament play on a 7 game win streak. Confidence and momentum are huge factors in sports.
Regardless how they finish, I like the way North and South schedule leads them into district and region play. I would much rather have my team sharp and focused going into every game, than beating up on poor teams before having to play a good team. That never works out well. Plus, if you're playing good teams at the end of your schedule, everything you see in tournament play slows down.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:Regardless how they finish, I like the way North and South schedule leads them into district and region play. I would much rather have my team sharp and focused going into every game, than beating up on poor teams before having to play a good team. That never works out well. Plus, if you're playing good teams at the end of your schedule, everything you see in tournament play slows down.

South and Corbin have some very interesting out of region games in the coming weeks. SL has a murderers row that includes GRC, Henry Clay and Madison Central. Madison is looking every bit the part of a top 5 team right now and I think will push Scott county in the 11th.

Corbin has a great matchup with Doss coming up in February. Also, the Hounds travel to Pulaski County, whom stumbled a bit against Estill county the other night.
A four horse race for sure. Never discount the possibility of an upset or two in the regional. Lynn Camp, Bell County and Barbourville are three teams that I would not overlook in a first round game.

Speaking of which, Lynn Camp vs Barbourville in the district first round game should be a good one, both teams fighting from being eliminated.
As far as games left.
Oops. As far as games left, Corbin still has Doss and North Laurel at home, Harlan Co. and Pulaski Co. away and Mercer Co. on a neutral floor. KC has Somerset at home, road games at North, Clay and Frederick Douglass. North has KC and Floyd Central at home, South and Corbin away. South has NL and Madison Central at home, Clark Co. and Henry Clay away. And Harlan Co. has Corbin and Pike Central at home, Pikeville and Cordia away. Don’t think you can fault any of them for their schedules down the home stretch.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:South and Corbin have some very interesting out of region games in the coming weeks. SL has a murderers row that includes GRC, Henry Clay and Madison Central. Madison is looking every bit the part of a top 5 team right now and I think will push Scott county in the 11th.

Corbin has a great matchup with Doss coming up in February. Also, the Hounds travel to Pulaski County, whom stumbled a bit against Estill county the other night.

I'm hearing Doss has already canceled their game at Corbin for obvious reasons.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:A four horse race for sure. Never discount the possibility of an upset or two in the regional. Lynn Camp, Bell County and Barbourville are three teams that I would not overlook in a first round game.

Speaking of which, Lynn Camp vs Barbourville in the district first round game should be a good one, both teams fighting from being eliminated.

What four teams?
Surely he meant five. Cause it sure seems like there are five awfully evenly matched.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:A four horse race for sure. Never discount the possibility of an upset or two in the regional. Lynn Camp, Bell County and Barbourville are three teams that I would not overlook in a first round game.

Even though I don't think we will see an upset of the top five this year, you are right it always either happens or comes very close, like last year when Lynn Camp came within an eyelash of knocking off eventual champion Harlan Co. in the first round.
It's between Corbin and Knox if both teams are at full strength going into and through the region finals. Yes someone could upset one of them but it's very unlikely. Of course the officiating could always come into play too. Not like that's never happened before ��
Could be interesting how the game is officiated between Corbin and Knox Central after the snap chat post a couple of weeks back.
Well the first one was officiated pretty terribly. I can't speak for the second one because I wasn't there. The funny thing is that nobody complained about the officiating last year until Knox choked and got beat. This year will probably be more of the same.
Officials always play a factor.... Just ask UK. But good teams find a way to overcome
When will it be known what region is officiating 13th region tourney.
I feel more sorry for the region that gets stuck with the 13th region refs. Anything we get is an improvement.
footballfever Wrote:When will it be known what region is officiating 13th region tourney.

Doubt that will be decided until after the draw (draw is Friday IIRC).
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:I'm hearing Doss has already canceled their game at Corbin for obvious reasons.

Bridges frozen! Lol
Is.# 21 playing again?
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:I'm hearing Doss has already canceled their game at Corbin for obvious reasons.

Obvi.....??? ohhhh. Nevermind.

Probably best but is somewhat of an unfair penalty to Doss to lose a game.
A shame.
The KHSAA still has the Corbin-Doss game as a go.

The question I have is what kind of enticements did Doss receive to travel to Corbin? I'm sure the atmosphere will be welcoming for Doss lol
CoachNM0523 Wrote:I think Corbin is playing good ball. The win against HC and having big games from Rice and Wine is big for tourney play. Barton coming back too will add much needed depth.
Knox is one of the most dangerous teams in the region. They can score in bunches. Seem to have went on a cold spell lately, will be interesting to see how they finish out the season.
North has put together a nice season but has losses against SL and HC. If they can get at least a win or even both wins over Corbin and knox in their 3 games, they would enter the tourney with all the confidence in the world.
South has one of the tougher schedules to rap up the year. If after the coin flips they have to play Whitley in first round of district, I believe they’d be playing for their lives. I think playing good competition helps but I wouldn’t wanna enter district play on a losing streak.
Harlan county is well coached and has solid kids on their squad. I would say they have a favorable schedule to wind up the season and if they beat Corbin at home you could see them enter tournament play on a 7 game win streak. Confidence and momentum are huge factors in sports.

I think South toughened up the latter half of the schedule too much. George Rogers Clark and Madison Central are almost annual opponents, and, as luck would have it, both are top 10 caliber teams. Dunbar was reeling a bit, but looked to be rounding into form before dropping a one point loss at Paris.

Adding a road game at Henry Clay was gutsy, IMO. The Blue Devils are a dangerous team and just upset Madison Central last night.

I forgot to mention that South also has a home date with North Laurel tonight, and the Jags are playing extremely well.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:I think South toughened up the latter half of the schedule too much. George Rogers Clark and Madison Central are almost annual opponents, and, as luck would have it, both are top 10 caliber teams. Dunbar was reeling a bit, but looked to be rounding into form before dropping a one point loss at Paris.

Adding a road game at Henry Clay was gutsy, IMO. The Blue Devils are a dangerous team and just upset Madison Central last night.

I forgot to mention that South also has a home date with North Laurel tonight, and the Jags are playing extremely well.

Yep i agree. Now if they win a few those, the confidence will be high. But at the same time, more than likely most of those will be L’s and I personally wouldn’t want my team entering post season play on a losing streak with a matchup possibly with Whitley ahead.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:The KHSAA still has the Corbin-Doss game as a go.

The question I have is what kind of enticements did Doss receive to travel to Corbin? I'm sure the atmosphere will be welcoming for Doss lol
]
The enticement is called a contract and a forfeit fee....

Knox is the best team, Corbin is close. South and North could potentially beat either one. Harlan County has zero chance.

If I were ranking today, I'd put Corbin and Knox tied because they have the best coach and best player. But I think we have the best team, and Patterson is a solid coach - he just doesn't have the experience of Peterowski.

I'll say this, that we won't be affected by what's happened in the past. If we are in an opposite bracket as Corbin - it will be us and them in the finals....
ProudPanther Wrote:]
The enticement is called a contract and a forfeit fee....

Knox is the best team, Corbin is close. South and North could potentially beat either one. Harlan County has zero chance.

If I were ranking today, I'd put Corbin and Knox tied because they have the best coach and best player. But I think we have the best team, and Patterson is a solid coach - he just doesn't have the experience of Peterowski.

I'll say this, that we won't be affected by what's happened in the past. If we are in an opposite bracket as Corbin - it will be us and them in the finals....

Understand and appreciate the pride of your own team, but I'm afraid this over confidence will be the reason Knox doesn't make it out of the region once again.

Knox is yet to play North, who has the guards to defend Knox' guards, and two bigs that Knox really doesn't have anyone to match up with. Knox had a little size in the post, but they don't play like post players.

I'm told Tony refuses to play South anymore, so who knows how that would go. Have to see if they meet up in region.

Knox also struggled with a lot smaller Harlan County team.

But my biggest worry with Knox is the fact that they either can't, or refuse to change their style of play regardless who they're playing. You have to be able to win a game whether it's a possession by possession game, or a track meet. You always want to play your style of ball, but basketball doesn't always allow that.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Yep i agree. Now if they win a few those, the confidence will be high. But at the same time, more than likely most of those will be L’s and I personally wouldn’t want my team entering post season play on a losing streak with a matchup possibly with Whitley ahead.

Looking at South's schedule they should win 3 of the last 4 and could pull the upset of Madison Central with it being at South and Madison Central possibly looking ahead to their matchup with Cov Catholic 3 days later. If they finish the season 4-0 with a win over Mad Central then i'd say their confidence would be at a season high. But thats a big if but still possible.
Leonards_loser Wrote:Looking at South's schedule they should win 3 of the last 4 and could pull the upset of Madison Central with it being at South and Madison Central possibly looking ahead to their matchup with Cov Catholic 3 days later. If they finish the season 4-0 with a win over Mad Central then i'd say their confidence would be at a season high. But thats a big if but still possible.

I would say that South is more likely to upset Henry Clay this Monday night. Still, they should beat Letcher central, Williamsburg and Rockcastle to finish with 3/4 wins going into district.

Also, the district will most likely be a coin flip.
Pages: 1 2