Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tubby's Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Recruiting aside, I'm talking about his problem coaching. He tries to make his players play his style of basketball instead of coaching to the players' strengths. That's why, even if he learns how to recruit, UK will still never be any good under his coaching.

They can fire everyone under him, all his recruiters, everyone, but until he learns that you can't coach everyone the same (I'm not even real sure who you could coach his way), he'll always be a failure as a head coach.

Amen, Merry Christmas, Hallalujah,, where's the tylenol
bring John Pelfrey home.
I agree with BFritz. I think Tubby has the "Bill Curry" syndrome of making players play to his style rather than a player's strength. In case you do not know...the Bill Curry Syndrome is making a player like Tim Couch run the option! Back to the subject. If Randolph Morris did not get his hands on the ball no one knows what to do offensively. Furthermore, no one on UK's team seems to have much of a basketball IQ. I love the hard nosed style of Jodie Meeks.
rallo316 Wrote:bring John Pelfrey home.
HA....You are a real funny guy.

Not right now... he has to prove he can win first!
Is that not what Bob Knight does? Make people play his style of ball? None is tryin to fire him.
He recruits people that he sees can play his style of ball. He doesn't bring in 300 pound players and try to get them to play an uptempo game (just an analogy). Not saying Tubby's style is a bad style, it just doesn't fit the players he has. I see UK as more of a run and gun type of team. Well they have the athletes for it, just don't have the pure shooters.
The first few years at UK OTS was basking
in the glow of what Rick Pitino had
accomplished with the program. Now, OTS
cannot get top notch players to commit to

UK, cannot "coach up" the talent he recruits
to maintain a Top 5 status program. Look at
Ohio State, North Carolina, Kansas, Memphis...
these teams have quick, great shooting guards,
"bigs" that are mobile and athletic, a "push
the ball" mentality... It is time for OTS
to leave. Period.
How do you see UK being a run and gun team when they couldnt run with Kansas last night. They were tired and wore down, theres no way this team can win play run and gun. You are right about when u said they dont have the pure shooters. Meeks is the closest thing to that and he is by far the closest thing UK has to being a pure shooter. I was really trying to come around and support Tubby but with every game I watch and the more posts i read about him, I really believe its time for him to go whether he wants to or not. I saw the highlights of his press conference after the game last night and what Rick Majerus and the other guy had to say about it, and they are right, Tubby is a motivator to the players. That may be true, but in no way is he head coach material. The part that I thought was funny was when Majerus said he felt sorry for Tubby because of what he has went through this season. What he doesnt understand and what no one that claims to be a fan understands is that Tubby is destroying the history and tradition of UK basketball. I know college basketball is more competitive these days and there is not one dominate team out there, and that any team can win on any given night, thats beside the point, at least other schools like UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc.... are still getting high profile recruits, while UK gets stuck with mid major type players. Tubby says he doesnt recruit high profile players because they just leave after one year of playing, well I smell some contradiction with that. Point being is, he is supposed to be this great mentor and motivator, couldnt he motivate the players to stay longer than one year. That itself puts a hole in his theory of recruiting high profile recruits. Seems to me Tyler Hansbrough has stayed longer than one year, and many other big names have stayed longer than one year as well. Like someone said earlier in the thread, Tubby needs to learn to coach to players strengths and not stick with his my way or the highway philosophy.
SportsFan80 Wrote:Tubby says he doesnt recruit high profile players because they just leave after one year of playing, well I smell some contradiction with that. Point being is, he is supposed to be this great mentor and motivator, couldnt he motivate the players to stay longer than one year. That itself puts a hole in his theory of recruiting high profile recruits. Seems to me Tyler Hansbrough has stayed longer than one year, and many other big names have stayed longer than one year as well. Like someone said earlier in the thread, Tubby needs to learn to coach to players strengths and not stick with his my way or the highway philosophy.

I agree he needs to throw away his "my way or the highway" philosophy. Another case in point, Obrzut, who plays like other big men from Europe, he wanted to play like a forward and Tubby wanted him with his back to the basket and Tubby basically wasted four years confusing Obrzut and wasted a scholarship, after taking a chance on bringing him in from Fordam. Fordam! Who steals recruits from Fordam?

Anyway, I think Tubby needs to focus more on the short-term than the long-term. Recruit guys that are gonna be impact players now and not 3 years from now and keep reloading. It's working for Billy Ball in Florida. Problem though is you mix players like Morris and Crawford that come in with big expectations along with big egos and chemistry problems.

Where's the middle ground at?

Find me one player listed in the Top 10/20 by respected recruiting outfits that is looking to restore integrity to college basketball by foregoing millions of NBA dollars and staying four years to earn a degree and prepare for life after basketball, when all he see's is dollar signs and that he has already arrived. That's hard to find. Maybe Hansborogh is one of those guys. Do you think Jai Lucas or Patrick Patterson are gonna be one of those guys?

It's about finding diamonds in the rough like Jodie Meeks and these days, it's hard to find guys like that flying under the radar. And of course, not making mistakes like Ramel Bradley over Chris Lofton.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I agree he needs to throw away his "my way or the highway" philosophy. Another case in point, Obrzut, who plays like other big men from Europe, he wanted to play like a forward and Tubby wanted him with his back to the basket and Tubby basically wasted four years confusing Obrzut and wasted a scholarship, after taking a chance on bringing him in from Fordam. Fordam! Who steals recruits from Fordam?

Anyway, I think Tubby needs to focus more on the short-term than the long-term. Recruit guys that are gonna be impact players now and not 3 years from now and keep reloading. It's working for Billy Ball in Florida. Problem though is you mix players like Morris and Crawford that come in with big expectations along with big egos and chemistry problems.

Where's the middle ground at?

Find me one player listed in the Top 10/20 by respected recruiting outfits that is looking to restore integrity to college basketball by foregoing millions of NBA dollars and staying four years to earn a degree and prepare for life after basketball, when all he see's is dollar signs and that he has already arrived. That's hard to find. Maybe Hansborogh is one of those guys. Do you think Jai Lucas or Patrick Patterson are gonna be one of those guys?

It's about finding diamonds in the rough like Jodie Meeks and these days, it's hard to find guys like that flying under the radar. And of course, not making mistakes like Ramel Bradley over Chris Lofton.
Patterson won't be.
FBALL Wrote:Patterson won't be.

Exactly...:thanks:
Patterson could very well be the worst thing to ever happen to Smith. If he doesn't sign him all of the critics will be screaming. If he does sign with UK and doesn't turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread the critics will be screaming. Its a no win situation.
FBALL Wrote:Patterson could very well be the worst thing to ever happen to Smith. If he doesn't sign him all of the critics will be screaming. If he does sign with UK and doesn't turn out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread the critics will be screaming. Its a no win situation.

Great stuff...Good point. :thumpsup:

Maybe the best thing would be for Tubby to leave? I hear the Charlotte Bobcats are hiring, that seems to always raise the rumor mill about Smith.
We need a coach like John Calipari who would bring back the forty minutes of hell back to UK
golfman42 Wrote:We need a coach like John Calipari who would bring back the forty minutes of hell back to UK

I thought that was Nolan Richardson?
Patterson or Lucas either one aren't coming to UK, thats pretty much the fact. Anyone thinking otherwise is crazy. From what I hear, Patterson isnt all hes been hyped to be anyway. He played with Mayo and Mayo was the man on that team, the man that set up Patterson to look good. Anyway, you are right about Meeks, its tough to find those types of players. I wish we could find 4 more players with his skills, passion and determination. Oh, and the right coach to guide them.
SportsFan80 Wrote:Patterson or Lucas either one aren't coming to UK, thats pretty much the fact. .

According to?
According to anyone who has any sense, and doesnt listen to you.
SportsFan80 Wrote:Patterson or Lucas either one aren't coming to UK, thats pretty much the fact. Anyone thinking otherwise is crazy. From what I hear, Patterson isnt all hes been hyped to be anyway. He played with Mayo and Mayo was the man on that team, the man that set up Patterson to look good. Anyway, you are right about Meeks, its tough to find those types of players. I wish we could find 4 more players with his skills, passion and determination. Oh, and the right coach to guide them.

You are wrong in so many ways. "From what I hear"??? Are you serious?? So im guessing that means you havent watched Patterson play AT ALL. Well, ive seen him probably 10 times, and from what i SEE, he is the real deal. His rankings in the recruiting index shot up over the SUMMER circuit, BEFORE OJ Mayo came to Huntington, if anything, Mayo has hindered Patterson's numbers by being such a gunner. Oh yeh, It is no fact that JL and PPat will not be at UK, it is probably more realistic that they WILL be at UK next year...wait and see...
SportsFan80 Wrote:According to anyone who has any sense, and doesnt listen to you.
Smile
SportsFan80 Wrote:According to anyone who has any sense, and doesnt listen to you.

There's a very good chance of Lucas coming to UK according to people close with the Lucas family. Patterson will be between UK and Florida. I don't expect much, but I do expect you at least post a link if you call something a "fact". Don't get personal with me, I was just asking for your source.
I didnt think you people were that foolish, but apparently i was wrong. My source is just plain old common sense, something that apparently left most of the people on here along time ago, and seeing UK lose in the second round, AGAIN. Along with the style Tubby plays, and the idea that u cant always go by what a recruits family says. If they were smart they wouldnt come to UK just to get to ride the bench and lose 10 games every season and have to suffer through playing Tubby Ball.
SportsFan80 Wrote:I didnt think you people were that foolish, but apparently i was wrong. My source is just plain old common sense, something that apparently left most of the people on here along time ago, and seeing UK lose in the second round, AGAIN. Along with the style Tubby plays, and the idea that u cant always go by what a recruits family says. If they were smart they wouldnt come to UK just to get to ride the bench and lose 10 games every season and have to suffer through playing Tubby Ball.
How is this for common sense. Playing Time!!!! Immediate playing time at one of the top programs in the country. It is the reason why Hansbrough and Wright are in Chapel Hill instead of Lexington right now.

Put down your obvious bias against Tubby Smith and use some of that common sense you are speaking of. Calipari is just a cheap Pitino clone. Let it go. Its not a good fit.
Mr. Baseball Wrote:I agree with BFritz. I think Tubby has the "Bill Curry" syndrome of making players play to his style rather than a player's strength. In case you do not know...the Bill Curry Syndrome is making a player like Tim Couch run the option! Back to the subject. If Randolph Morris did not get his hands on the ball no one knows what to do offensively. Furthermore, no one on UK's team seems to have much of a basketball IQ. I love the hard nosed style of Jodie Meeks.

Bill Curry had Tim Couch running the option....ROFL.
I just had to throw that in.......go ahead with the Tubby talk now.
pelphrey lol
Tubby is really not that bad of a coach. If UK could could get a recruter UK would be pretty good caz Tubby is not that bad of a coach
SportsFan80 Wrote:Patterson or Lucas either one aren't coming to UK, thats pretty much the fact. Anyone thinking otherwise is crazy. From what I hear, Patterson isnt all hes been hyped to be anyway. He played with Mayo and Mayo was the man on that team, the man that set up Patterson to look good. Anyway, you are right about Meeks, its tough to find those types of players. I wish we could find 4 more players with his skills, passion and determination. Oh, and the right coach to guide them.

That's what you hear and here's what I know...

Patterson was the reigning West Virginia Player of the Year before OJ Mayo arrived this season at Huntington High. Patterson had his best season — 17 points, 12 rebounds and 4 blocked shots per game this year — and was selected to the McDonald’s All-American team with Mayo. But he was second in state player of the year voting this season to Mayo.

BTW, here's a link if you think I'm wrong.

http://herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll...2/70310030
I will add this...

If Patterson and Lucas go elsewhere, Kentucky basketball stares at an uncertain future. According to the Prep Stars recruiting service, no player in its list of the top 25 high school juniors is considering UK. The highest-rated junior listing Kentucky is No. 30 Kevin Jones, a forward from Mt. Vernon, N.Y.

Ouch...Of course there's time to correct this, but who and how?

http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/21509.html
pikevillepanther#32 Wrote:Tubby is really not that bad of a coach. If UK could could get a recruter UK would be pretty good caz Tubby is not that bad of a coach
He has no idea how to coach in situations or to have his players play to their strengths and against the other team's weaknesses
Pages: 1 2