Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Clay County 73 Red Bird 61
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final
Congrats to Tiggers
Rough couple of years for Clay County. Lots of young talent and an upperclassman in Rogers that's a bull inside, but I can't imagine that anyone is very happy with this year's results. To beat Red Bird by 12 and teetering around .500 with the schedule they've played just isn't good. No use sugar coating anything.
Last year the Tigers ended at 17-13 but won District so there was something to hold to. They had 3 seniors who all did what they had to do. Guys like Curry, Rogers, and Begley were able to connect the pieces. This year is different. Youth is and isn't an excuse but when you're this young, it's almost like they don't know how to care. That's not as a team because most of the players do. But you can almost see the "Ah, we're young, we'll get it in the future." When defense and 50/50 balls are this bad, that says more about effort than skill. I've said it before, there were two really bad years of middle school ball that produced hardly anything and now it is showing. Look at the roster, 3 seniors and no juniors.
There's enough there for a well-coached team to beat Red Bird by more than 12 (emphasis on well-coached).
Underwhelming performance by Clay County. How much have the really improved over the course of this season?
Mister D Wrote:Underwhelming performance by Clay County. How much have the really improved over the course of this season?

Biggest win was over Perry Central in early December. After that, maybe beating Jackson County? Kind of hard to say that they've improved unless you're giving out consolation prizes for playing teams close, and by close, I mean within 10 or 15 to 20.

About this time last year, the local sports page had a snip about Scott County recruiting. Sounds like Clay County should try some of that because I'm unsure that the rosy articles about being young and rebuilding alone are keeping all of the natives happy.
Clay has some nice young talent. I’m just not completely sold.
The future is up in the air but our young players are so inconsistent, which is expected. We have guys that will go for 18 one night and 4 the next. At this point in the year, we can’t have that. Therefore, if others aren’t picking up the slack you get beat by scores that you shouldn’t.
You only play with one basketball is the problem.
The crowd at the North-Clay game Tuesday night was the smallest I’ve ever seen for a Clay home game. It will be interesting to see the reaction if they don’t get out of the district, which could happen because Jackson is ok. And I have been saying district is at Clay because of KHSAA info, but I think it’s OBIs turn to host. Sometimes they host it, sometimes they ship it to Clay. Anyone know for sure on thst?
Don't think the freshmen and the upper classmen are meshing too well. That goes on the coach. Did the Bingham kid quit again?
Leonards_loser Wrote:Don't think the freshmen and the upper classmen are meshing too well. That goes on the coach. Did the Bingham kid quit again?

You’re not wrong.