Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: XFL making a return in 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon announced Thursday he is giving a professional football league another go.

It will be called the XFL, the same name of the league McMahon and NBC tried for one season in 2001, but it won't rely on flashy cheerleaders and antics as its predecessor did, he said.

McMahon said he is the sole funding source for the league, which is slated to begin in January 2020. Its first season will have eight teams around the country playing a 10-week schedule. The initial outlay of money is expected to be around $100 million, the same amount of WWE stock McMahon sold last month and funneled into Alpha Entertainment, the company he founded for the project.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213...eturn-2020

[Image: i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F0125%2Fr319041_6....jpg&w=570]
Vince was 'The Chairman of the Board' today, not the 'Mr. McMahon' character.

Vince has two years to get this going and with the resources he has, the NFL needs to watch out.

The WWE is as Hot as it's ever been and the NFL is as low as it's ever been. Vince is the best promoter in the world... the XFL will more than likely put the NFL to shame (or at least I hope it does).
This will flop.

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with WWE.
Vince sold WWE stock to start this company on his own and said in today's news conference there will be zero bleed over.
Unless they can lure top athletes away from the NFL, then it won't beat the NFL. They can be an alternate to the NFL, for sure. But, they aren't beating them.

However, if they could get some of the back-ups and guys like that, who are looking to make a name for themselves, and they played in the spring and summer, then they'll get a lot of attention. But they still won't beat them.

Their best bet would be to market themselves as an alternative to basketball and baseball. Start the season in the spring, and have games go into the summer. Have the championship game be on July 4th weekend. That would be a great setup.
This is music to the ears of Johnny Manziel and several other guys who couldn't quite get it done in the NFL. I'm excited to see it. I want to know who will become the next 'He Hate Me'.
I'll tell you this - If they make people stand for the National Anthem AND sign Tim Tebow...
they will earn some eyes from these people who claim they don't watch the NFL now.

This isn't going to compete with the NFL. They said they will have eight teams and a four team-playoff with the season starting around January (when football is at it's peak).

But make no mistake, there is no money in "semi-pro" sports in any fashion. That is ultimately what this will be.
McMahon didn't learn his lesson the first time
Will fail just like last time. The NFL will always be the king of football, it will get peoples attention for a little bit, but the big time players aren't going anywhere other than the NFL.