Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dunbar Basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What has happened to Coach Chalk and the Dunbar basketball team. Clearly Hollingsworth made PLD and not Chalk's coaching. They are terrible. Why? I understand they may not be kings of the hill after he graduated but with proper player development they should not be this bad two years removed from a state championship.
Doubt this has anything to do with it but I know the strength coach isn't there anymore.
Explorer Wrote:Doubt this has anything to do with it but I know the strength coach isn't there anymore.

who was that?
Malcolm Ex Wrote:who was that?

Ward
Not as bad as their football.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:What has happened to Coach Chalk and the Dunbar basketball team. Clearly Hollingsworth made PLD and not Chalk's coaching. They are terrible. Why? I understand they may not be kings of the hill after he graduated but with proper player development they should not be this bad two years removed from a state championship.

It's always tough sledding in the 11th and having Lexington Catholic, Lafayette, Lexington Christian, and Tates Creek in your district makes it even tougher.

Before their current staff came on board, their last regional title was in the early 90's, and their isn't really any point in recent history where they were dominant, so I'd say they are doing fine.

Fayette County redistricts fairly often and I think it's fair to say that many of the neighborhoods that Dunbar draws from aren't really thought of as having feeder programs stocked with talent.
Dunbar is really good team.
Let's get something straight.....Coach Chalk is a great coach....there are over 230 high schools in the state....Coach Chalk has won a state championship! Yes....having "great" players is important "BUT" being able to coach them....have a system......teach them to work together and win a state champion is a "SPECIAL" thing!.....So for someone to suggest the Dunbar basketball is not doing good because of Coach Chalk is ludicrous! No mule has ever won the Kentucky Derby....You need a Thoroughbred! So therefore....No team will ever win the Kentucky Sweet Sixteen without a "Thoroughbred" that has been trained (coached). Coach Chalk is a great coach.....How about placing some responsibility on the lack of talented players? That is the problem with todays generation....Everyone from this generation does not want to be held accountable! They want to place the blame else where and not have to be responsible.
Starbucks Wrote:Let's get something straight.....Coach Chalk is a great coach....there are over 230 high schools in the state....Coach Chalk has won a state championship! Yes....having "great" players is important "BUT" being able to coach them....have a system......teach them to work together and win a state champion is a "SPECIAL" thing!.....So for someone to suggest the Dunbar basketball is not doing good because of Coach Chalk is ludicrous! No mule has ever won the Kentucky Derby....You need a Thoroughbred! So therefore....No team will ever win the Kentucky Sweet Sixteen without a "Thoroughbred" that has been trained (coached). Coach Chalk is a great coach.....How about placing some responsibility on the lack of talented players? That is the problem with todays generation....Everyone from this generation does not want to be held accountable! They want to place the blame else where and not have to be responsible.

Chalk a good coach? That’s comical. Hollingsworth made him.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Chalk a good coach? That’s comical. Hollingsworth made him.

I've seen some very, very, very talented players in Kentucky on par with or better than Hollingsworth who couldn't get their coaches out the regional tournament... and plenty of those didn't play in a region as competitive as the 11th or one of the toughest districts in the state like the 42nd.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:I've seen some very, very, very talented players in Kentucky on par with or better than Hollingsworth who couldn't get their coaches out the regional tournament... and plenty of those didn't play in a region as competitive as the 11th or one of the toughest districts in the state like the 42nd.

I agree 100%! I don't care how talented a player or team are....You still have to have a coach that can practice them....teach them to work together....and organize everything. The coach always gets the blame when a team loses and the players always get the credit when a team wins.
RealJokersWild24 Wrote:I've seen some very, very, very talented players in Kentucky on par with or better than Hollingsworth who couldn't get their coaches out the regional tournament... and plenty of those didn't play in a region as competitive as the 11th or one of the toughest districts in the state like the 42nd.

43rd my friend, 43rd. Gotcha!
kidlexington Wrote:43rd my friend, 43rd. Gotcha!

Touche salesman. Good catch.