Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What schoools are good at two sports with football being one of them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What schools across the state are traditionally good at football and basketball or football and baseball?

Curious as to what posters think and if there is a correlation with what helps with it. Athletes and talent, support from admin and community, history of it, etc.

So. What schools are good at two sports with football being one of them? And why do you think they are good at both?
Well Boyle Co is obviously really good at football.

More recently Boyle Co Baseball went to the State Tourney last season and was in the Sweet 16 Final Four in 2015.

Nothing really sustained other than football but there is a great wave of talent coming thru the school system that is very well rounded athletically.
There's not as many as you'd think there would be in terms of statewide success. Corbin is the obvious one in SEKY. 3 titles or 5 depending on which fan you talk to, plus 1 or 2 basketball titles along with a bunch of region titles in both sports.

If you look at success since the beginning of athletics in this state, id say hazard is one of the biggest achievers in both sports combined.
Scott County.
Most private schools and independent schools. Trinity, St.X, Cov Cath, Newport Central, LCA, Ashland, Pikeville, Corbin, Hazard, Russell, Beechwood, Paintsville, etc.
FoSho Wrote:Well Boyle Co is obviously really good at football.

More recently Boyle Co Baseball went to the State Tourney last season and was in the Sweet 16 Final Four in 2015.

Nothing really sustained other than football but there is a great wave of talent coming thru the school system that is very well rounded athletically.

Not really a mainstream sport but Boyle's track teams are very good. Brent Wagner may be the best coach in the school not named Smith. He has built it up in recent years to levels never seen before at the school. Very lucky to have him, and no I am not related to him. Just like to see the coaches who put in tons of hours in the sports outside of the big 3 get some copy from time to time.
LCA has had a very good track team the past few years, too.
Johnson Central.

Football
10-0 regular season in 2013 & 2014.
2006, 2008-2010, 2012-2016: District champions.
59-7 record from 2013-2017.
2015: 4A State Runner-Up.
2016: 4A State Champions.
2017: 4A State Runner-up.

Wrestling
Had at least one state place winner every season since 2004.
Seven individual state champions since 2004.
2008-2012: Placed in the Top 10 of the state tournament team standings.
2013: State Duals, State Runner-Up.
2017: State Tournament, team 3rd place.
Currently have won nine consecutive team regional championships (2009-2017).
Eight out of Fourteen weight classes placed at the state meet in 2017.

This is not the complete history of both programs, but these are the highlights for both sports in the Matney (football & wrestling coach) era (2004-present) at JC.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central.

Football

Wrestling
Seven out of Fourteen weight classes placed at the state meet in 2017.

This is not the complete history of both programs, but these are the highlights for both sports in the Matney (football & wrestling coach) era (2004-present) at JC.

What about the baseball and boys basketball programs?

They have been dominate in both of those sports too.

Football

Wrestling

Bob Seger Wrote:What about the baseball and boys basketball programs?

They have been dominate in both of those sports too.

You are 100% correct.
I'm not as familiar with baseball & basketball's achievements as I am football & wrestling.
The three most obvious are:
Scott County
Trinity
Covington Catholic
Bowling Green, state champs in basketball and football last year.
The better the success of the program, the better the student-athletes are who want to be a part of program. Support of administration and booster organizations is a must. A large nearby population pool helps.
Not many schools being tossed out there. Without looking, I'd assumed there would be 1-2 per region/area.

9th- Beechwood, Highlands, Cov Cath
13th- Corbin
14th-Hazard
15th-Johnson Central, Pikeville
16th-Ashland
Raceland
Slic Ric Wrote:Raceland
Elaborate on this one if you don’t mind. I’m not familiar enough with them to know what other sport they are good at besides football. They’ve had a good run in football recently. Is that also historically accurate or more recent?
Explorer Wrote:Elaborate on this one if you don’t mind. I’m not familiar enough with them to know what other sport they are good at besides football. They’ve had a good run in football recently. Is that also historically accurate or more recent?

The other sport he is referring to is track and field . Raceland has won 5 consecutive regional titles in track field.
They just won the All A 16th region in basketball as well.

Football

Wrestling

Come to think about it....

I would argue JC is the best Public school in the state with the combined Football & Wrestling success over the past 14 years. No other team (besides T & X) have won the state wrestling title and a state football title in that time period. The other public schools that have won the state wrestling title have not had the same type of football success like JC has had in that same time period.

JC's post-season Football & Wrestling Results from the 2004/2005 school - Present *Wrestling IS NOT classed like football.

2004/2005
19th place, Wrestling.
State Runner-Up, Rodney Webb (HWT.), Wrestling.

2006/2007
3A State Semi-Finals, Football.

2007/2008
5A Regional Runner-Up, Football.
8th place, Wrestling.
State Champion, Corey Spencer (112 lbs.), Wrestling.

2008/2009
Region 8 champions, Wrestling.
5th place, Wrestling.
State Champion, Ryan Harlow (HWT.), Wrestling.

2009/2010
4th place, Wrestling.
State Runner-Up, Zach Salyer (140 lbs.), Wrestling.

2010/2011
Single Game Rushing Record (JJ Jude); 584 yards vs. Woodford County, Football.
7th place, Wrestling.
State Champion, Zach Salyer (140 lbs.), Wrestling.
State Champion, JJ Jude (171 lbs.), Wrestling.

2011/2012
Career Rushing Record (JJ Jude); 8,633 yards. 2008 – 2011
6th place, Wrestling.
State Runner-Up, John Conley (182 lbs.), Wrestling.
State Runner-Up, Sam Preston (195 lbs.). Wrestling.
State Champion, JJ Jude (170 lbs.), Wrestling.

2012/2013
State Duals Runner-Up, Wrestling.
14th place (tie), Wrestling.

2014/2015
11th place, Wrestling.
State Champion, Geordon Blanton (145 lbs.), Wrestling

2015/2016
4A State Runner-Up, Football.
13th place, Wrestling.

2016/2017
4A State Champions, Football.
3rd place, Wrestling.
State Runner-Up, Joe Jackson (170 lbs.), Wrestling.
State Champion, Geordon Blanton (160 lbs.), Wrestling.
Eight state meet place winners out of fourteen weight classes, Wrestling.

2017/2018
4A State Runner-Up, Football.
Wrestling season is still ongoing as of 1/24.

46 total place winners at the state wrestling meet from the 2004/2005 school year through the 2017 season.

Campbell County, Union County, Fern Creek & Woodford County have all won the state wrestling title in the time period I have listed above (T & X have won it as well, but I'm not counting them because they are private) have not come close to JC's football success.

Belfry, Danville, Central, Boyle County & Male have all won state football titles (yes, I know more teams besides this have won as well) in this time period and have a good wrestling program, but have not consistently been in the Top 20 in the state wrestling meet like JC has.

Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, I have presented enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Johnson Central is the best Public Football & Wrestling school in the state for the time period I have listed.
The prosecution rests, your Honor.
I was wanting baseball and basketball only but it's January and any discussion is good in my book.

I think Johnson Central would be one of the best in that. Multiple regional titles in baseball and basketball in the last decade.

When I started this thread my goal was to see who out there competes at a high level in the 3 major sports. Seems like almost all schools are one trick ponies.
Explorer Wrote:Elaborate on this one if you don’t mind. I’m not familiar enough with them to know what other sport they are good at besides football. They’ve had a good run in football recently. Is that also historically accurate or more recent?

They've traditionally had a good Football program. Their Girl's Volleyball program has won four region titles (non-classified), & their Boys' Track team has won five straight Region titles, 16 overall, & won the 2003 State Championship in Class A. Also, the Girls' Track team has won four straight region titles, 10 0verall I believe.
Explorer Wrote:I was wanting baseball and basketball only but it's January and any discussion is good in my book.

I think Johnson Central would be one of the best in that. Multiple regional titles in baseball and basketball in the last decade.

When I started this thread my goal was to see who out there competes at a high level in the 3 major sports. Seems like almost all schools are one trick ponies.
Pikeville 1A State Champs in football 2015, 4 championships overall in modern (KHSAA recognized) era. 2017 State semi-finalist. Numerous regional championships.

Baseball, State final four team in 2010, several regional championships.

Basketball, defending 15th region champs, current All A region champs, two trips to Sweet Sixteen since ‘99, traditionally good in district or region, always seem to run into a dynasty type program (Valley, Johnson Central, etc. )

Wish I were more specific in number of titles, etc for the region and so forth in the sports, but far from one trick ponies over here.
PHSForever Wrote:Pikeville 1A State Champs in football 2015, 4 championships overall in modern (KHSAA recognized) era. 2017 State semi-finalist. Numerous regional championships.

Baseball, State final four team in 2010, several regional championships.

Basketball, defending 15th region champs, current All A region champs, two trips to Sweet Sixteen since ‘99, traditionally good in district or region, always seem to run into a dynasty type program (Valley, Johnson Central, etc. )

Wish I were more specific in number of titles, etc for the region and so forth in the sports, but far from one trick ponies over here.

I listed Pikeville and JCHS.

Ind. have much better dual sports than larger publics IMO. There are more Beechwood's/Pikeville's than there are Scott County/JCHS, etc
Explorer Wrote:I listed Pikeville and JCHS.

Ind. have much better dual sports than larger publics IMO. There are more Beechwood's/Pikeville's than there are Scott County/JCHS, etc

Independent schools are public schools.
Jarons Wrote:Independent schools are public schools.

Obviously they are both "public schools" but you are missing the point of what I said. So I will clarify for you.

Little Johnny and his family have to physically move to attend a county public school regardless if they play sports unless the county has a reciprocal with the neighboring county (some do, some don't) for the SEEK money per pupil.

Ind. schools, if little Johnny and his parents want to drive him from Virgie to Pikeville each day, they can as long as they pay tuition for being out of the city limits of that school.

This is why I think more Ind's have dual sport success than county public schools.
Dunbar winning excessive amount in a row in cheer leading and most state champ in basketball. Lafeyette in football and basketball. Scott Co in football and basketball. On a consistent basis i.e. district, region or state championship Lexington Catholic in football, basketball and baseball. AGAIN I can only speak for Fayette county schools.
I think it's possible that Corbin wins region in all three big sports this year. I think the basketball took the reigns as the top team in the region when they beat Knox central. Baseball will be the toughest, but the talent is there to make a run and end up in Lexington this summer. It hasn't been done at Corbin since the 2004/05 school year, but I think it could happen again this year.
Winning all 3 regions in same year would be amazing feat.
Explorer Wrote:Winning all 3 regions in same year would be amazing feat.

Johnson Central's 2014/2015 school year.

Class 2A, Region 7 Boys Cross Country.
10th Region Girls Golf.
15th Region Boys Soccer.
15th Region Boys Basketball.
15th Region Girls Basketball.
Region 8 wrestling.
15th Region Fast Pitch Softball.

Not bad for a public school in the mountains.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Johnson Central's 2014/2015 school year.

Class 2A, Region 7 Boys Cross Country.
10th Region Girls Golf.
15th Region Boys Soccer.
15th Region Boys Basketball.
15th Region Girls Basketball.
Region 8 wrestling.
15th Region Fast Pitch Softball.

Not bad for a public school in the mountains.

Not bad at all and extremely impressive. But when you have 460 more students than the next biggest school in the region.... you'll have some years like that.
Pages: 1 2