Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somebody Please Wake Up Mitch McConnell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After the sweeping victory of the 2010 when the People's House fell into the hands of Republican control, the Democrats went into a state of denial from which they have yet to emerge. Next the Senate fell, then the White House. But before all that Harry Reid virtually "tabled" activity in the US Senate from the day the House was lost, as the 'resistance' had begun. A resistance which was supposedly just against Republicans, but was and is actually, a formal assault against the will of the people by government. So since 2010 the Senate has been for the most part nonfunctional, though surprisingly Republicans did pull their acts together to get tax legislation through.

Unthinkably the resistance yet thrives, as thanks to some nostalgic yearning for yesterday on the part of Mitch McConnell, Schumer has the Senate in gridlock. The Dems were certainly willing to throw tradition and caution to the wind and did not hesitate to go nuclear to pass ObamaCare, an act that continues to hurt all working Americans. We would not have a 9th Justice to the SC had it not been for the suspension of the filibuster rule, nor would we have a tax package. So can we at least face facts? Dems will never vote with Trump on a thing other than something like DACA. We might as well face that which is clear. To keep 'regular order,' is to cede the House, Senate and the White House to Dems. So why bother to even have two parties if one party doesn't have the chin to lead?

Democrats have sworn not to take part in this government because they will not accept the people's choice for President. Now it isn't my intention to get into a full blown civics course here, but when half of government has rejected the President, they are also rejecting the will of the people, Friends, that ain't good. Mitch McConnell needs to step past his lovelorn urges for the return to yesteryear and realize... Those days are gone forever. The will of the people as of the last election, was a rejection of doing things the Obama/liberal way, and Mitch needs to stop helping Dems hold everything back and darn well get to governing on their behalf. In doggedly clinging to a rule mentioned NOWHERE in the Constitution, and practiced at no time in US history other than the days of and following the civil rights era, Mr McConnell is no better than a collaborator during time of war.

He's doing the very best he can to trace the footsteps of Harry Reid, in in so doing he is guaranteeing Chuck Schumer will continue to hold America's legal citizenry hostage in favor of those here illegally. I mean, his term doesn't end until 2020. Conservative America has suffered mightily under the absurdities of liberalism and I for one have blamed the Dems for bringing it all about. But if he persists in denying the people for the sake of allegiance to a stupid rule, he has to go. Democrats basically stole 6 years from Americans after 2010, we cannot allow them to steal the following 4 or 8 for the sake of something which is little more than nuance, called regular order. The military is on it's ear, and I know ol Mitch is nearly deaf, but he can still read!
Oh let him sleep!

It was difficult for me to vote for him. Had anyone other than Grimes ran against him, I seriously would've considered voting democratic on that election!
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - "The U.S. Congress ended a brief government shutdown on Friday by reaching a wide-ranging deal that is expected to push budget deficits into the $1 trillion-a-year zone.

The bill passed by a wide margin in the Senate and survived a rebellion of 67 conservative Republicans in the House of Representatives thanks to the support of some Democrats. Those conservatives were mainly angry about non-military spending increases.

President Donald Trump signed the measure into law on Friday morning, ending a government shutdown that began just after midnight, when Congress was still debating the budget deal."

Republicans are taking flak from all quarters for caving to Democrat demands for increased spending. The primary function of the federal government is to provide for the public safety and to that end, concerns for a badly depleted military helped to force the President's hand on the matter. To exemplify the importance of a strong military all one must do is consider Russia. In economic ruins as recently as the Obama era, Russia has rebounded to a certain notable extent, and returned to prominence on the worlds stage in rebuilding their military forces. Even more profound is the case of North Korea. A country which has nothing but poverty and a nuclear arsenal has the US on full alert.

But in return for the Democrat votes needed to pass the spending bill, Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi got a near dollar to dollar 'settlement' to use for bribing their base with domestic give-aways. And for all the compromise, conservatives finally got funding for the military.

So, one might ask how do the Dems keep one-upping a government controlled by Republicans? The simple answer is this. THE RULE OF CLOTURE. Mitch McConnell's unreasonable adherence to this antiquated, era-relevant fix, for a government which was at one point in days past divided against itself on issues of race. Thus are the people of our day held in contempt and limbo by Leader McConnell, who evidently considers himself above the millions of voters who sent a Republican majority to the Congress and a Republican President to the White House. Voters who rose up to reject the absurdities of the past 8 years, but whom are nonetheless held a perpetual ransom to ol Mitch's particular nostalgia. So it's a 60 vote majority or die, and since it is impossible for Republicans to stretch 51 'iffy' votes to 60, it is the Dems who rule from the minority. Of course, it was Schumer's dogged foot-dragging on actually granting any increases in military funding which eventually led to the mess we got saddled with this morning. But in the end it worked. He got what he wanted and thanks to Mitch's impossible 60 vote standard, the taxpayer got had. And IMHO it can all be laid at his feet, and his feet only.

I thought Harry Reid did an extraordinary job of gridlocking the Congress after Dems lost the House in 2010. But he wasn't a bit better at it than McConnell, whose leadership BTW, has the effect of helping only the oppositionist Dems. Mitch however, is perfectly at peace with defrauding the voting majority in placing their will somewhere down the list of priorities. No, their will is secondary, or worse, to the unconstitutional rule of cloture. Republicans need to understand, if they continue to support McConnell as leader he will continue to shipwreck the interests of the Republican Party, and thwart the Trump agenda. It hasn't been a case of the Republicans rolling over, as much as it has McConnell's betrayal of the public trust in forcing every piece of legislation to be balanced against the whims of Democrats for the sake of satisfying his precious 60 vote threshold. Ironically, last evening's grandstanding by lost ball Rand Paul was directed at his brother Republicans. All of whom need to snap out of it. But IMHO he needs to narrow his attack more to one guy. Mitch McConnell, who refuses to lead or get out of the way.

Frankly I don't know why the Democrats are so bent for leather on retaking the Congress, or the Presidency for that matter. With Mitch at the helm they're getting just about anything they want.
Donald Trump is not and has never been a conservative. He is a populist. Democrats and Republicans who supported the recent budget deal, including Trump, deserve their share of blame. Trump is driven by polls and the budget deal is good for his job approval rating.

This deal is like an instant replay of the deals that Reagan had to make with a Democratic controlled Congress. Jimmy Carter gutted our military and Reagan had little choice but to compromise with Democrats to rebuild the military to fight the Cold War.

There is a difference between this deal and those that Reagan struck with Democrats. Republicans now control the House, Senate, and White House. There is no excuse for this irresponsible spending spree. McConnell's deal was exactly what Trump and Ryan wanted.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Donald Trump is not and has never been a conservative. He is a populist. Democrats and Republicans who supported the recent budget deal, including Trump, deserve their share of blame. Trump is driven by polls and the budget deal is good for his job approval rating.

This deal is like an instant replay of the deals that Reagan had to make with a Democratic controlled Congress. Jimmy Carter gutted our military and Reagan had little choice but to compromise with Democrats to rebuild the military to fight the Cold War.

There is a difference between this deal and those that Reagan struck with Democrats. Republicans now control the House, Senate, and White House. There is no excuse for this irresponsible spending spree. McConnell's deal was exactly what Trump and Ryan wanted.

Yup, and look how that turned out. All that did for us was ignite the greatest economic boom since WW2. If high ranging intellectuals like McConnell continue to esteem the rule of cloture, (which was and is little more than a kiss-up to the minority party, whom in our time are howling like a bunch of werewolves because they lost), over the interests of their constituencies; Then buying off the opposition is just about all that's left. I put up three (of the many), times that Trump has asked McConnell to end the supermajority threshold. Sixteen Republican Senators voted against the spending deal. Six of those got an F or a D from Conservative Review's Daniel Horowitz on his Republican leadership score card. https://www.conservativereview.com/artic...s-step-up/

Added to that is this little tidbit, we have a finite amount of time in which to make any repairs to our Republic. Ceding that time away for the sake of reclaiming some sort of gentlemanly Senate decorum of which has been gone so long nobody can even say they really remember what it even felt like, is an absurd whimsicality.

I don't like the way things are, but we didn't only just arrive at this intersection of blame and contempt. You know as well as I the strangle hold that liberals have on government, but to that end the only real leverage they have by way of enforcement, is the 60 vote supermajority rule. And I agree with you that McConnell is liable in all of this. In fact according to Horowitz, there are in charitable terms, only 15 conservatives in the entire Senate. He says the RINO led senate of the Reagan era was the graveyard for Newt Gingrich's Contract With America. And as I have been saying too, this Senate has been the place where anything resembling conservative legislation has gone to die. Now maybe just saying to heck with the whole mess is the way to go, though I don't think so. But it would seem to me, in borrowing a filler text, that now really is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

Trump is doing what he can, and that to me has been significant. Sixteen Republican Senators voted against the spending deal. Six of those got an F or a D from Conservative Review's Daniel Horowitz on his Republican leadership score card. No real pressure can even be placed on Congressional Republicans under present senate rules. I mean, if you listened to any of what Rand Paul had to say you know most of it was him saying if everybody else would get on board with his bills, we'd all be just fine. Majority be darned, the Congress is all over the place right now.
https://www.conservativereview.com/artic...s-step-up/

Had the good folks there on the Titanic known that their doomed ship was a matter of feet from missing the iceberg, I am certain they'd have been praying earnestly to that end. But because that great ship could only turn so slowly, and notwithstanding the fact that the helmsman gave it his all, the tragedy occurred. IMHO, this great nation has a soon coming and similar date with historical destiny. Let alone the fact that in this case the helmsman, (DJT), is being accosted from every quarter as he attempts to steer us clear of the danger. Which BTW does not in any way mitigate the danger as it exists. And yet until and if that day should come, I believe conservative Americans should do their best to speak out in an honest attempt to wakeup those around them who do not yet see the threat. We may agree on what true conservatism versus populism is. But short of spiritual revival, (which I favor), we need to concentrate on missing the iceberg as first order of business.
TheRealThing Wrote:Yup, and look how that turned out. All that did for us was ignite the greatest economic boom since WW2. If high ranging intellectuals like McConnell continue to esteem the rule of cloture, (which was and is little more than a kiss-up to the minority party, whom in our time are howling like a bunch of werewolves because they lost), over the interests of their constituencies; Then buying off the opposition is just about all that's left. I put up three (of the many), times that Trump has asked McConnell to end the supermajority threshold. Sixteen Republican Senators voted against the spending deal. Six of those got an F or a D from Conservative Review's Daniel Horowitz on his Republican leadership score card. https://www.conservativereview.com/artic...s-step-up/

Added to that is this little tidbit, we have a finite amount of time in which to make any repairs to our Republic. Ceding that time away for the sake of reclaiming some sort of gentlemanly Senate decorum of which has been gone so long nobody can even say they really remember what it even felt like, is an absurd whimsicality.

I don't like the way things are, but we didn't only just arrive at this intersection of blame and contempt. You know as well as I the strangle hold that liberals have on government, but to that end the only real leverage they have by way of enforcement, is the 60 vote supermajority rule. And I agree with you that McConnell is liable in all of this. In fact according to Horowitz, there are in charitable terms, only 15 conservatives in the entire Senate. He says the RINO led senate of the Reagan era was the graveyard for Newt Gingrich's Contract With America. And as I have been saying too, this Senate has been the place where anything resembling conservative legislation has gone to die. Now maybe just saying to heck with the whole mess is the way to go, though I don't think so. But it would seem to me, in borrowing a filler text, that now really is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

Trump is doing what he can, and that to me has been significant. Sixteen Republican Senators voted against the spending deal. Six of those got an F or a D from Conservative Review's Daniel Horowitz on his Republican leadership score card. No real pressure can even be placed on Congressional Republicans under present senate rules. I mean, if you listened to any of what Rand Paul had to say you know most of it was him saying if everybody else would get on board with his bills, we'd all be just fine. Majority be darned, the Congress is all over the place right now.
https://www.conservativereview.com/artic...s-step-up/

Had the good folks there on the Titanic known that their doomed ship was a matter of feet from missing the iceberg, I am certain they'd have been praying earnestly to that end. But because that great ship could only turn so slowly, and notwithstanding the fact that the helmsman gave it his all, the tragedy occurred. IMHO, this great nation has a soon coming and similar date with historical destiny. Let alone the fact that in this case the helmsman, (DJT), is being accosted from every quarter as he attempts to steer us clear of the danger. Which BTW does not in any way mitigate the danger as it exists. And yet until and if that day should come, I believe conservative Americans should do their best to speak out in an honest attempt to wakeup those around them who do not yet see the threat. We may agree on what true conservatism versus populism is. But short of spiritual revival, (which I favor), we need to concentrate on missing the iceberg as first order of business.
This nation is on course to hit a large iceberg head on. Trump is at the helm, and despite the machinations of Democrats and RINOs, the president is not blameless in setting the course for this country.

Reagan overcame much larger obstacles to win the Cold War. Let's not fall into the trap of lowering expectations of Trump just because he faces considerable opposition in both parties, The Rockefeller Republicans hated Reagan with a passion, so bipartisan opposition of a sitting president is nothing new.

However, I think that we can agree that the extent to which the national media, Democrat Party, and establishment Republicans are openly trying to reverse the result of a free election is unprecedented. I never expected Trump to win the election, but if he won, I never expected him to have strong support among Republicans in Congress. That is not fair to Trump, but it should be no surprise.

I will continue to support Trump when he takes conservative actions with which I agree and I will continue to oppose him when he takes populist positions that further the liberal agenda. The budget deal could have been worse, but IMO, it nudges the federal government further to the left.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:This nation is on course to hit a large iceberg head on. Trump is at the helm, and despite the machinations of Democrats and RINOs, the president is not blameless in setting the course for this country.

Reagan overcame much larger obstacles to win the Cold War. Let's not fall into the trap of lowering expectations of Trump just because he faces considerable opposition in both parties, The Rockefeller Republicans hated Reagan with a passion, so bipartisan opposition of a sitting president is nothing new.

However, I think that we can agree that the extent to which the national media, Democrat Party, and establishment Republicans are openly trying to reverse the result of a free election is unprecedented. I never expected Trump to win the election, but if he won, I never expected him to have strong support among Republicans in Congress. That is not fair to Trump, but it should be no surprise.

I will continue to support Trump when he takes conservative actions with which I agree and I will continue to oppose him when he takes populist positions that further the liberal agenda. The budget deal could have been worse, but IMO, it nudges the federal government further to the left.

As you say, we agree on far more than we disagree.

But you know I was here for the Reagan Presidency too. And as I have argued at length in times past, we don't quite agree on the comparative level of subversion as it existed in his time and our time. Though not looking to hand out any laurel leaves, the media of the Reagan Era were nonetheless far more subtle and reserved in their admittedly eager criticisms of Reagan. And let's face it, the Dem's open assault on Trump has been nothing short of historically traitorous. Even to the point of completely neutering the federal government of and for the people, and forsaking their sworn duty to ensure for the public safety and to establish a meaningful defense of the nation.

Did you happen to catch the recent remarks of Rep Claudia Tenney ® NY, when she expounded about the situation in the Senate as that applies to Cloture and the 60 vote threshold? She is tired of hearing about how the Republicans have a 51 vote majority. According to her though there are 51 Republicans in the Senate, quite a few of them are prone NOT to vote Republican. I'm sure you'd agree with me on this, and as all the retired military have stepped up to warn; Propping up a paper army to stand between my family and the bad guys of this world is not providing for national defense.

After all the brouhaha, we still don't have a border wall, we still have lottery and chain migration, and the globalists are still getting their way.