Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Memphis 73 Connecticut 49
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Mike Parks and Jeremiah Martin had the UConn Huskies seeing double-doubles Tuesday night at FedExForum.

Parks and Martin finished with their first double-doubles of the season to lead the Tigers to a 73-49 American Athletic Conference victory, the U of M's fourth straight win in league play.

Parks and Martin each had 21 points and 11 rebounds. For Parks, the points and rebounds represented career highs. For Martin, the double-double was the second of his career, but first with double-digit rebounds. He had a 23-point, 11-assist game at Cincinnati last season. Memphis (13-6, 4-2 AAC) also got 10 points from Kareem Brewton Jr.

The Tigers shot 52 percent in the second half and 50 percent for the game to win easily over the Huskies (10-8, 3-3 AAC). The U of M snapped UConn's three-game winning streak and held the Huskies to their lowest point total of the season.

"I think we're locked in as a group, as a whole," Martin said. "We're going about things more seriously. We're executing the game plan and what we go over in practice."

UConn's offense was hampered by the loss of a key starter. The Huskies were playing without 6-8 swingman Terry Larrier, who sat out because of severe headache issues. Larrier is UConn's second-leading scorer at 15.3 points per game.

Without Larrier, the Huskies struggled. They shot 33 percent (9-of-27) in the second half and 37 percent for the game. They also committed 17 turnovers and were beaten on the boards by 15 (38-23).

With Parks dominating inside – he was 9-of-14 shooting – the Tigers had a 38-18 advantage in the paint. The U of M also scored 22 points off UConn's turnovers.

"I thought we played a very solid, all-around game," said Tiger coach Tubby Smith. "I thought our guys were focused from the beginning. And Jeremiah has just been playing great. He's had four spectacular, unbelievable games. He's doing everything we're asking him to do."

Martin, named the AAC Player of the Week on Monday, continued his string of impressive outings. He had a career-high 31 points in last week's win over Tulane and 26 in last weekend's win at Temple. He is averaging 26.5 points during the U of M's four-game win streak.

Parks has been a significant contributor during the streak, too. He is averaging 16.2 points and 7 rebounds in the last four games.

"I'm just staying focused with the game plan," Parks said. "I was going through a lot (earlier in the season) so I had to overcome that. I just kept working hard."

Jalen Adams entered the game averaging 18.9 points, including 20.6 ppg in five AAC games.

The Tigers held the Huskies to 18 first-half points, UConn's lowest half of the season. UConn shot 42 percent in the opening half, but committed 11 turnovers. During a five-minute stretch midway through the first half, the Huskies did not score and committed three turnovers as the Tigers built a 13-point lead.

Parks led the first-half charge for the Tigers scoring 13 points on 6-of-9 shooting and grabbing seven rebounds.

"Mike Parks is stepping up and playing well," Smith said.

The Tigers never trailed in the first half jumping to an 8-2 lead. Eventually, they extended their advantage to 32-18 just before the half on a runner in the lane by Jamal Johnson.

Memphis resumes AAC play Saturday at Tulsa. Tipoff is 7 p.m. CT and the game will be carried on ESPNU.

UConn has a Saturday home game against top-ranked Villanova at the XL Center.

NOTABLES

The Tigers did not pick up their first foul of the opening half until 3:36 remained. Kyvon Davenport was called for the U of M's first foul.
Defensively, the Tigers were dominant in the first half. Memphis held the Huskies scoreless for several stretches that added up to 12:19.
Memphis overpowered the Huskies in the paint enjoying a 38-18 advantage.
The win was the U of M's biggest conference home win since beating Rutgers, 101-69, during the 2013-14 season.
The win was the U of M's biggest overall conference win since beating East Carolina, 83-53, two years ago.
Memphis had two players finish with double-doubles for the first time since last year at Houston.
U of M walkons Evin Olds, Jesse Johnson and Alex Moffatt made their season debuts in the second half.

http://gotigersgo.com/news/2018/1/16/men...uconn.aspx
A win for Tubby.