Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville 76 Shelby Valley 64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Pikeville.
Is this site dying? This game used to get plenty of people discussing the game. Noticed this about a lot of games. Someone will post the score, and nothing happens.
I've noticed this as well. The football site was much more active. But I did get out for this game and Pikeville was in control right from the tip. And the Battaile kid is a nice player. first time watching him in person and the boy is athletic. Went right down the lane and threw down a 2 handed jam over two valley defenders. But Shelby Valley is quick and scrappy and they keep coming at you the whole game. Pikeville was just able to handle their pressure and beat them down the court because of it. The potter kid is a little overrated. Pikeville put a chaser on him and he would just stand there and not really try to do much. Zack honaker really kept valley in the game. If he don't hit a few threes from the corner Pikeville wins by 30. But it was a fun game to watch and it is going to be a fun region tournament in a couple months. The crowd atmosphere was also better than what I have been seeing so I hope people keep getting out to the games.
I think the issue is just a lack of interest, for whatever reason, in high school sports. The crowd was nice sure. But, it was not even the same as a crowd 10 years ago for a game between these two schools. And surely not like a crowd from 20 years ago. I guess entertainment is so readily available, maybe that is a factor. But just being at the game, the atmosphere wasn’t what it used to be. Perhaps the Saturday setting is not as conducive. But, I hope this is not a trend that will continue. I hope people will start coming out again.

Congrats to the Panthers on the win. Take care of business in the All “A”!
Sadly, attendance at high school sports is dwindling. I can remember when at a big rivalry game such as Clay County/Corbin, Hazard/Perry Central etc. you would be lucky to find a seat. Now, I think I could go to about any game in the state and find a decent seat.

I went to a Scott County/Henry Clay game last week that was very important for district seeding. The game was at Henry Clay. The home side was about 1/4 filled and the visiting side was about 3/4 filled.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I think the issue is just a lack of interest, for whatever reason, in high school sports. The crowd was nice sure. But, it was not even the same as a crowd 10 years ago for a game between these two schools. And surely not like a crowd from 20 years ago. I guess entertainment is so readily available, maybe that is a factor. But just being at the game, the atmosphere wasn’t what it used to be. Perhaps the Saturday setting is not as conducive. But, I hope this is not a trend that will continue. I hope people will start coming out again.

Congrats to the Panthers on the win. Take care of business in the All “A”!

Yea I wasn't comparing it to crowds that far back. I just think what we have seen that last few years it was a good crowd. But I agree I think all the different forms of social media people can just at home and get updates and they are fine with that. I really hope people start coming back out. I remember back in the day if you came to this game and did not get there for the jv game you would be lucky to get a seat in the upper part of the gym. It would be awesome if we could get back to those types of crowds.