Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How does the 14th Region look this year? Many teams have lost a lot of seniors, Estill, Jenkins, Leslie, Breathitt some are not even returning a full diamond. This is truly remarkable basically every team, that isn't Hazard or Perry County Central (a contender) lost 10 or more players. I think that Hazard and Perry County Central will dominate this region. They both lose a couple seniors when basically everyone else lost 10 seniors. Not to mention Hazard and PCC were better than those teams last season. I think Hazard will be the 14th Region Champions Give me your top 10. Really looking forward to this!

1. Hazard
2. Perry County Central
3. Knott County Central
4. Letcher County Central
5. Powell
6. Jackson City - Really Young - (0) Seniors (1) Junior (3) Sophomores (5) Freshman (3) 8th (3) 7th
7. Wolfe County
8. Estill
9. Buckhorn
10. Leslie County

56th - Powell
55th- Jackson City
54th - Hazard
53rd - Knott County Central

Thoughts?
Estill lost a lot but return several key players and I'm assuming O'hair will play too. Estill had loaded their schedule down as always.

Powell lost 5 from last year and will probably be my pick to win district. I don't see anyone coming within reaching distance of neither Hazard or Perry Central. Maybe 2019?
I can't see Wolfe and Jackson City being ranked above Estill in any fashion. The top two are Perry and Hazard, that isn't even debatable. The next three are in fact, Letcher, Knott and Powell with Estill Probably Thrown in there too. Coach Crowe finds a way to get those guys playing hard. Powell lost a few arms and their center fielder/leadoff hitter. Pretty much return 90% of all run production and pitching. Should be interesting to see how things play out with the new coach.
1. Perry Central
2. Hazard
3. Estill County
4. Powell County
5. Letcher Central
6. Knott Central
7. Leslie County

First year head coaches at Powell, Knott, Breathitt, and Leslie.
rawlingsfan Wrote:1. Perry Central
2. Hazard
3. Estill County
4. Powell County
5. Letcher Central
6. Knott Central
7. Leslie County

First year head coaches at Powell, Knott, Breathitt, and Leslie.

Didn't know Leslie was looking for a coach?
Estill is actually a baseball school first and foremost, when you think they are expected to have a down year, they always surprise people. I probably expect to see them win 15 games this season.
Strikeout King Wrote:Didn't know Leslie was looking for a coach?
Coach Melton and Crisp gave it up after last season. Both of their sons graduated.
What does Leslie have coming back? I know they lost 9-10 seniors from a solid team.
You would be crazy to rank Estill over Powell in the region. Big dogs coming back and Estill lost way too many.
big daddy69 Wrote:You would be crazy to rank Estill over Powell in the region. Big dogs coming back and Estill lost way too many.

Since Estill County came into the 14th region, the Powell-Estill rivalry has been just as competitive as Hazard-Perry Central. The major difference being that the 56th district seeds every year, but the 54th doesn't. Lee County forced a Powell-Estill first round match-up in 2006 and 2007. They split, Powell won in eight innings in '06, Estill won on a walk-off grand slam in '07. Lee County upset Powell County in '08. Since then both Powell County and Estill County have reached the regional tournament. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Most years if the two teams played each other ten times, they'd probably end up going 5-5.
Interesting. I've a 5th Region Fan and watched Hazard against Marion Co. in the State Tournament. Was impressed with how young Hazard was. Thought they were actually better than the Simon Kenton team that beat Marion in the semi-finals.
Hazard is always a top team in the 14th, will be fun to watch what they do this year. However, I do think to rank them over PCC is incorrect. This year will be like the past two years as long they do not draw each other in first round of districts. Will be a fun game to watch, that is my opinion.
StrictlyBusiness Wrote:Hazard is always a top team in the 14th, will be fun to watch what they do this year. However, I do think to rank them over PCC is incorrect. This year will be like the past two years as long they do not draw each other in first round of districts. Will be a fun game to watch, that is my opinion.

I agree. I think the only way Hazard gets them this year is if Morris out duels Cottongame in the first round of the district tournament. Cameron Turner gives Perry Central another seasoned ace to put out there, and basically replaced the loss of Kameron Conley from last year.

This group of seniors has won 83 games over the last three years, upset Hazard in the opening round of the district tournament as freshman before losing to Knott in the regional semi-finals. Advanced to the regional finals as sophomores and juniors losing by scores of 3-2 and 4-3 to Hazard. I think this is their year.
A lot of you are underestimating Powell's ability to rebuild fast and especially with the hire of Spencer who can and will take over were Varney left off. On top of that Powell has a lot of talent in there Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior classes who once they get in the groove will be able to compete with anybody. I would be on the lookout for Hale, Skidmore, and Poe to show out this year.
Strikeout King Wrote:Estill lost a lot but return several key players and I'm assuming O'hair will play too. Estill had loaded their schedule down as always.

Powell lost 5 from last year and will probably be my pick to win district. I don't see anyone coming within reaching distance of neither Hazard or Perry Central. Maybe 2019?

Hazard is young again in my opinion. They lose Morris this season, but still will have a lot returning for the 2019 season. They have some talented juniors this season that will be seniors next and will be even better than the previous year. Losing Morris on the mound will be a huge loss, but Hazard always seems to produce excellent players. Don't know much about Powell, but they were not very good last year in my opinion so losing the 5 seniors will only make them that much worse. If their shortstop (don't know his name) isn't pitching I think it will be hard for them to win. As for Estill, the loss of Crowe will hurt a lot, he was tough in the field and on the mound. Don't know if gaining Ohair will make up for his loss, which I doubt. So as usual I think it will be Perry's to lose this season and Hazards to lose next season. Can't see anybody else really coming to close, would like to though..
I thought Morris was back for Hazard? I thought they only lost Smith, which is a big lose in its self. With or without Morris I do think Perry is stronger this season though.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:I thought Morris was back for Hazard? I thought they only lost Smith, which is a big lose in its self. With or without Morris I do think Perry is stronger this season though.

I was talking about for the 2019 season that hazard would lose Morris, he is back for hazard this season..
Perry also just got the Turner kid from Jackson city. With the addition of Turner, I will take PCC over hazard in both the district and region. As for my Leslie County Eagles, we will be extremely young as far as players and coaches go. Will not be a good record at all but a season for learning and growing .
1. Perry Central
2. Hazard
3. Powell Co.
4. Letcher Central
5. Estill Co.
6. Knott Central
7. Leslie Co.
8. Wolfe Co.
9. Jackson City
10. Buckhorn
That is probably pretty close to the true rankings in the top 6. Powell, Letcher, Estill, and Knott are a pretty tight cluster of teams with what everyone has coming back.
1. Perry Central
2. Hazard

3. Powell County
4. Estill County
5. Letcher Central
6. Knott Central
7. Wolfe County
8. Leslie County
9. Jackson City
10. Breathitt County
How is Wolfe even considered to be in the top 10? To put them above Jackson, Leslie, and Breathitt can't even be close to correct. Don't remember the last time they actually won a district game.
StrictlyBusiness Wrote:How is Wolfe even considered to be in the top 10? To put them above Jackson, Leslie, and Breathitt can't even be close to correct. Don't remember the last time they actually won a district game.

I'll be honest and say I got stuck way in the past, thinking 2012-2013 when Creech was the coach was a lot closer than it actually was due to lazy research on my part. If I could edit it, i'd bump Wolfe out of the top 10, move everyone behind them up 1 spot and slide Buckhorn in the 10th spot.
1. Hazard
2. Perry
3. Estill
4. Letcher
5. Powell
6. Breathitt
7. Knott
8. Leslie
9. Jackson City
10. Wolfe
Hazard
Perry
Estill
Letcher
Breathitt
Knott
Leslie
Buckhorn
Jackson City
Wolfe
Didn’t let her lose their shortstop? Potter?
If that potter kid from letcher moved to pike central that I hear. That hurt letcher big time
Coach Crowe at Estill is running for County Clerk and not putting any time in with the team. They are ranked way too high if he’s not putting any work in.
Hope the guy wins the Clerk job. Might actually make a decent living. Coaching baseball is about equal to 5 cents an hour. Why dont you become a volunteer assistant and put the time in for him. Oh wait, you have to work I guess.
Coaches are way underpaid for the time they put in for any sport. They do it for the love of the game and the kids. Estill has had a tradition of good baseball teams, but that takes time and effort to keep it going.
Pages: 1 2 3