Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Eric C. Conn Appointed A Public Defender
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LEXINGTON, Ky. — Embattled former disability attorney Eric C. Conn got his wish to be appointed a public defender. However, a judge denied his request that the lawyer who has represented him throughout his criminal proceedings be appointed to that role.

Conn requested a court-appointed attorney last week, saying he no longer has any income and instead owes millions of dollars in civil and criminal judgments.

In granting that request, U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert Wier found Conn, indeed, has “no apparent income or assets,” and owes at least $112 million in restitution and forfeiture.

However, Judge Wier denied Conn’s request that his attorney, Scott White, be appointed as his public defender. Wier ruled that White did not have a significant advantage in representing Conn over a new attorney, and indigent defendants have no right to select their public defenders.

“That Conn is familiar with, trusts, and wants to keep White is not compelling justification for departing from normal appointment practices,” Judge Wier wrote.

Instead, the court appointed Mount Vernon attorney Willis Coffey to represent Conn in all pending criminal proceedings. He also terminated White from the case and ordered him to assist in the transition to Coffey.

Wier did take note of Conn’s assertion that the last remaining bank account he had was a $40,000 anonymous account with the Bank of Guatemala, which he believed to no longer have any funds because the bank stopped giving him money.

“The mysterious Guatemalan bank account, should it hold funds, is now on the radar of the United States,” Wier wrote.

Also yesterday, prosecutors filed a status report suggesting when they believe the original criminal case against Conn will be ready for trial.

In that case, Conn is accused of conspiracy, wire fraud, mail fraud, money laundering and other charges in connection with a scheme to defraud Social Security. Prosecutors say they will be ready to take that case to trial June 4 and expect it to last 12 days.

Conn is also scheduled to go on trial Feb. 12 for charges related to his escape and flight to Honduras.

http://ekbtv.com/judge-appoints-public-d...-for-conn/
They are really sticking it to my and Spud's boy Mr Eric C Conn.
This entire story is so extremely compelling. I am a fan.
Westside Wrote:They are really sticking it to my and Spud's boy Mr Eric C Conn.

The Mud Creek Mafia.:biggrin:
I may be from Mud Creek but I am no fan of Eric C. Even though he didn’t get us new scoreboards at The Dome which have been taken down since all of this blew up along with everything else he sponsored has been removed at the school