Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Wes Johnson to Dunbar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Paul Dunbar has officially announced Wes Johnson as their new head football coach
Did Dunbar just hire a coach not to be in the building?

Home run hire FOR DUNBAR. The guy is the perfect fit for them. Very good HS coach.
What is his background?
Best coach in the history of WEST Jessamine hs. Was OC at Dunbar about 10 years ago, so he knows the situation. Runs the option.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Best coach in the history of WEST Jessamine hs. Was OC at Dunbar about 10 years ago, so he knows the situation. Runs the option.

He better know that situation. Coaching football in Lexington is a challenge to say the least.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Best coach in the history of WEST Jessamine hs. Was OC at Dunbar about 10 years ago, so he knows the situation. Runs the option.

West being 20 years old or so I only know them for the last 10 years. Were they a force when he coached?
Explorer Wrote:West being 20 years old or so I only know them for the last 10 years. Were they a force when he coached?

Were they a force, no. They did beat one of the Boyle state champs during the regular season though. He is the winning-est coach in school history.
Has to be an improvement. Can't be any worse.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Were they a force, no. They did beat one of the Boyle state champs during the regular season though. He is the winning-est coach in school history.

Winnigest coach in school history is very misleading. He was 27-21 in 5 years at West.

Factually correct he is the winnigest. But that’s very misleading way of describing it.
Explorer Wrote:Winnigest coach in school history is very misleading. He was 27-21 in 5 years at West.

Factually correct he is the winnigest. But that’s very misleading way of describing it.

Its not misleading at all if you have ever seen West Jessamine play. They have not been the same since he left. 6 games over 500 at west jessamine is like being 6 games over 500 with the Cleveland Browns. Hell, more to the point its like being 6 games over 500 at Dunbar.
Explorer Wrote:Winnigest coach in school history is very misleading. He was 27-21 in 5 years at West.

I don't think anyone thought he was sitting on a career record of 100-8 or something similar.

I get that having the most wins at a certain place means a lot, but at some places being over .500 in any capacity for your time there is a huge deal. Being 6 games over .500 at Trinity gets you fired. Being 6 games over .500 at some schools is enough to where you're a legend.

For me, if you have the most wins at a particular school, I'm generally going to be impressed by that fact.
I would generally be impressed. In this case. Not at all. Especially when that same school has won a baseball state title. Multiple girls soccer titles and East Jess football has won their district 2 or 3 years in a row. Jessamine County has plenty of athletes in general. 27 wins at West May be the high water mark but hardly makes it impressive.
Explorer Wrote:I would generally be impressed. In this case. Not at all. Especially when that same school has won a baseball state title. Multiple girls soccer titles and East Jess football has won their district 2 or 3 years in a row. Jessamine County has plenty of athletes in general. 27 wins at West May be the high water mark but hardly makes it impressive.

Wow, ladies and gentlemen, we have a member of the baseball and girls soccer are the same as football club! Kudos. The time, money, coaching, investment, numbers, support staff in girls soccer is comparable to football. Sweet.
Explorer Wrote:I would generally be impressed. In this case. Not at all. Especially when that same school has won a baseball state title. Multiple girls soccer titles and East Jess football has won their district 2 or 3 years in a row. Jessamine County has plenty of athletes in general. 27 wins at West May be the high water mark but hardly makes it impressive.

I hate to pile on, but are you affiliated with Dunbar? This mentality is why Dunbar hasn't been any good at football.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Wow, ladies and gentlemen, we have a member of the baseball and girls soccer are the same as football club! Kudos. The time, money, coaching, investment, numbers, support staff in girls soccer is comparable to football. Sweet.

Golf title in there somewhere for West. Zero affiliation with any of these schools. But at a school which has state titles in multiple sports you can’t sit there and say that school doesn’t have athletes....... The hype train for these 27 wins I guess I’ll simply never understand. I hope he becomes the all time winning coach at Dunbar.

I'll give him credit for winning 27 games, but I'll also give him credit for losing 21. C'mon. Let's call this what it is. Dunbar obviously had very little interest and settled for Johnson. From what I was told, they whiffed on a couple of candidates that would have been homerun hires.

This is not a homerun hire. This is a pop-up to right field.

Best of luck to Johnnson, but don't be surprised if Dunbar is hiring a new coach in three years.
Don't want to just state opinions, so here are some facts:

Johnson won 26 games, plus one by forfeit.

Johnson never won a playoff game.

Johnson never hosted a home playoff game.

Johnson's record in his first two seasons: 14-8

Johnson's record in his final three seasons: 12-13 (plus one win by forfeit)

But, hey, let's celebrate this guy! GO DUNBAR!
Don Draper Wrote:Don't want to just state opinions, so here are some facts:

Don’t u think dude deserves a chance to prove himself ?
Don Draper Wrote:Don't want to just state opinions, so here are some facts:

So what your saying is he really is 26-21 one of the games was forfeit. Smh
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Don’t u think dude deserves a chance to prove himself ?

Sure. Why not? He deserves a chance like all these guys.

Chris Mullins
Derrick Thomas
Bob Lawson
Jason Howell
David Hensley

Had some real winners in that bunch, right?

Look, Johnson may be a good guy. I'm sure the guys above were too. But this is not Douglas Park rec league. This is the highest level of football in Kentucky. You are telling me this was the best they could do?
Don Draper Wrote:Sure. Why not? He deserves a chance like all these guys.

Chris Mullins
Derrick Thomas
Bob Lawson
Jason Howell
David Hensley

Had some real winners in that bunch, right?

Look, Johnson may be a good guy. I'm sure the guys above were too. But this is not Douglas Park rec league. This is the highest level of football in Kentucky. You are telling me this was the best they could do?

You Right .Outside of Wood his staff is very inexperienced Alex Montgomery was a flag football coach that had 19 catches at UK and this is the star power they are hoping brings kids out? Every staff in Lex got college and some NFL dudes who done more.the hire and staff is underwhelming for a 6A program in Lex that is in shambles right now no knock on Johnson but this don’t make sense he coached one year over the last 10 years . Dunbar is just not serious about football this hire proves that again.as you said this is 6A big time football not Rec leagues
Explorer Wrote:Golf title in there somewhere for West. Zero affiliation with any of these schools. But at a school which has state titles in multiple sports you can’t sit there and say that school doesn’t have athletes....... The hype train for these 27 wins I guess I’ll simply never understand. I hope he becomes the all time winning coach at Dunbar.

:1:Confusednicker: truth
Iam4thecats Wrote:Did Dunbar just hire a coach not to be in the building?

Home run hire FOR DUNBAR. The guy is the perfect fit for them. Very good HS coach.

Dude is 26-21 plus a forfeit win has coached one year the last 10 years and that is a home run hire for a 6A program in shambles in Lexington and his most notable assistant is Alex Montgomery who coached flag football don’t think I am buying what Dunbar is tryin to sell

You right on the money to make matters worse he only won 26 one was by forfeit. Not personal but this is not the right fit for Dunbar. Plus he been out of coaching since 2013 and has only coached that year over the last 10. Where is the logic in this hire? :eyeroll:
Good luck to the new coach.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:So what your saying is he really is 26-21 one of the games was forfeit. Smh

This legit made me lol.

Did other coaches not apply for this gig or is it truly that unwanted?
No one in their right mind would go to Dunbar until the administration changes or decides they want a program. When a football program has to share the football field during practice, that is a no win. So I am sure that is the best. Good Luck Coach, with this administration and fan base you will need it.
Predator/Prey Wrote:No one in their right mind would go to Dunbar until the administration changes or decides they want a program. When a football program has to share the football field during practice, that is a no win. So I am sure that is the best. Good Luck Coach, with this administration and fan base you will need it.

admin definitely part of the problem from what I hear .dang on shame. dunbar has all the resources necessary to be a good program. A 26-21 coach whose biggest hire so for is an obscure former UK player whose coaching experience is flag football is not gonna cut it. The admin can try to smoke and mirror this all day long but people see right through it. With that said though I think it is a mediocre hire but good Luck to him. One thing that troubles me though is why was he out of coaching 9 out of the last 10 years? Why wasn’t he at least an assistant somewhere. Can someone answer that?
Malcolm Ex Wrote:admin definitely part of the problem from what I hear .dang on shame. dunbar has all the resources necessary to be a good program. A 26-21 coach whose biggest hire so for is an obscure former UK player whose coaching experience is flag football is not gonna cut it. The admin can try to smoke and mirror this all day long but people see right through it. With that said though I think it is a mediocre hire but good Luck to him. One thing that troubles me though is why was he out of coaching 9 out of the last 10 years? Why wasn’t he at least an assistant somewhere. Can someone answer that?

You might want to do some research. Randy Wood who was his assistant at West left to go be the head coach at Morgan County where he had an 8-4 season and a 7-4; he later came back to West as the HC there and had a 9-3 season two years removed from them going.

He didn't win those at powerhouse places, but at places that most of the time can't play dead in a cowboy and Indian movie.

Staffs aren't stacked from top to bottom hardly anywhere; maybe at your blue blood programs, but that's it.

Johnson has been an assistant since he left from being a HC; most notably at LCA in 2013.
Explorer Wrote:This legit made me lol.

Did other coaches not apply for this gig or is it truly that unwanted?

What more proven coaches in their right mind would have gone after this job? If you will notice, there aren't many guys leaving one place for another and if they do then there are some underlying connections.
Pages: 1 2 3