Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Auburn 81 Murray State 77
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dec. 19, 2017
MURRAY, Ky. – Jared Harper scored 11 points in the final four minutes to guide Auburn to an 81-77 win at Murray State Tuesday night. The Tigers (10-1) made three of their last four shots and went 4 for 4 from the foul line in the last 45 seconds.

“Jared made big shots, we got a couple of stops and we got some rebounds at the end,” head coach Bruce Pearl said. “We made our free throws and got out of here [with a win].”

Harper totaled 17 points on the night with four makes from behind the arc and a perfect 5-for-5 from the line. The sophomore also added a season-high six rebounds to go along with four assists.

“I’ve always had the confidence to make plays late in the game,” Harper stated. “I’ve spent a lot of time in the gym. I trust myself and my teammates trust myself.”

Desean Murray scored a team-high 18 points and racked up nine rebounds. Mustapha Heron and Bryce Brown also reached double figures with 16 and 15 points, respectively.

As a team, Auburn shot 88 percent from the charity stripe (15 of 17) and 44 percent from downtown (12 of 27).

Murray State (7-3) jumped out to early 9-0 lead in the first 2:30 of game action. The Tigers clawed their way back behind three consecutive 3-pointers by Malik Dunbar.

Down 18-10 at the 11-minute mark, Auburn outscored Murray State 32-18 to close the half and led 42-36 at the break.

After trading baskets for the first 12 minutes of the second stanza, the Racers got the lead at 60-58 with just over eight minutes left on the clock.

A 3-pointer from Murray and a 3-point play by Brown gave the Tigers the edge once again at 64-62.

Murray State would not go away and eventually regained the lead, 67-66, with four minutes left.

With the game tied back up at 69 apiece, an NBA-range three from Harper put Auburn back on top, 72-69 – a lead that would not be relinquished down the stretch.

Following a pair of free throws by the Racers, Harper again came up clutch and knocked down a 3-pointer. A steal by Heron on the defense then led to a turnaround jumper by Murray to put the game out of reach at 77-71.

Four straight free throws in the final minute by Harper and Heron iced the game away and gave the Tigers their eighth consecutive win, 81-77.

“It was a great team effort tonight to come in here in a tough environment on the road,” Harper said.

Murray State was paced by Terrell Miller, Jr., who had 24 points and 15 rebounds. Jonathan Stark also contributed 21 points, five rebounds and five assists.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-bas...17aaa.html