Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region basketball is U-G-L-Y
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The King Wrote:I think Shelby Valley will have it's hands full with whoever (Ashland or Elliott Co.) comes out of the 16th.... But that being said, SV did play well against Warren Central on a neutral court in a half-court game (63-60). Granted this wasn't the same setting as Rupp, but to say they would have to get up-and-down the court to have a chance is incorrect...

When are you guys going to quit bragging about a 63-60 loss to a Warren Central team that is no where near as good as they have been in years past?
NEXT Wrote:No problem with playing zone.

My problem is with the talent at Valley playing that half court junk that they played against Pikeville, kept Pikeville in the game.

Hatfield and Newsome can grind it out in the 15th and 16th in the post. Against teams from down state they cannot plain an simple. Not strong enough.

The Belfry/Paintsville game had plenty of D. Case scored 10 of his points off of steals.

Shelby Valley reminds me of Belfry in the early 90's and they were an injury from Jim Dotson away from winning a title. Guess what they did against EVERY TEAM they played.

I will agree that he can play D but that was it . Case is an all around great player, no doubt about it. If you hadn't noticed Pikeville is a pretty quick team Next, and they prevented SV from running and gunning by getting back on Defense. The slower half court game did help keep Pikeville in the game, but it also hurt them at the end too.
BoondockSaint Wrote:When are you guys going to quit bragging about a 63-60 loss to a Warren Central team that is no where near as good as they have been in years past?

When you quit saying that SV isn't capable of playing against teams of that caliber...
BoondockSaint Wrote:When are you guys going to quit bragging about a 63-60 loss to a Warren Central team that is no where near as good as they have been in years past?

A 26-4 record and a ranking of 4th in the state most of the year sounds like a pretty good team to me. They were only 29-7 when they won the state championship a few years ago, so what makes them worse this year?
No matter who SV plays @ Rupp (Ashland or EC) they will run the break ! EC will definitely play up tempo or at least try to do so while Ashland is lot more up tempo than the rest of the 16th but not as much as EC. These are the only two teams in the 16th who really try to push it, the others will put you to sleep. Do not know what that means for Valley but there you have it.
Another Asssist Wrote:No matter who SV plays @ Rupp (Ashland or EC) they will run the break ! EC will definitely play up tempo or at least try to do so while Ashland is lot more up tempo than the rest of the 16th but not as much as EC. These are the only two teams in the 16th who really try to push it, the others will put you to sleep. Do not know what that means for Valley but there you have it.

Both those teams do run controlled breaks which is a nice way of controlling the tempo but scoring some points.
Mr. Baseball Wrote:Elisha is a very good ball player but let's not give him "D-1 talent" just yet. He is only a freshman who is a long way from D-1. Hopefully he grows a little bit and continues working hard both physically and mentally...THEN let's decide if he is D-1 material. Remember when Landon Slone pumped in 51 against Shelby Valley as a freshman? I believe a lot of people starting calling him D-1 material. Is he? No, he couldn't play for EKU, Morehead State, ETSU or any other local D-1 school at the moment. Good luck Shelby Valley at Rupp.

See the thing is, he did this stuff for Valley while he was in 8th grade as well, so it's not like he had a good season and his stock is falling, he's only getting better, and his confidence is constantly rising.
NEXT Wrote:After watching the 15th Region Tourney this past week all I can say is WOW

The 15th has turned into the 16th.

Aside from the Belfry - Paintsville game every game was just flat out horrible to watch if you were not a fan of the teams playing.

Scoring in the 40's and 50's, and sometimes taking OT to do it, is just plain UGLY.

I appreciate Defense and good coaching as much as anyone but at least one fast break a quarter isn't too much to ask is it?

I would have loved to seen Bell, Harmon and Clevinger allowed to go full speed to the offensive end and scoring then watching Justice, Hatfield and the Bryants push it right back at them.

Instead of an entertaining final we had 2 coaches slow it down to a snails pace with the players having to pass the ball 7 times before they shoot.

U-G-L-Y
Amen,,I thought the same thing and was talked to pretty rough!!
Have any of you guys ever seen the Pistol Pete Marovich documentarys from when he was younger, thats who Elisha Justice reminds me of everything from the way he handles the ball to the haircut. Not trying to compare him to a legend like that, and I hope you guys dont take it like that but I just see a resemblence in style. Anyone else see that??
I saw it and it was good.Pistol Pete is a player alot of people need to watch.Nobody is close to him today as far as his passes and double pumpin jump shots.Where can a man get some film on him.He averaged like 39 a game while in college. Died very young.
I know theres a movie out called "The Pistol" which is a story of his life made back in the mid 80's. I'd say you could probabily find film on him on the net that you could download. If I find something I'll post it.
Moe Wrote:I know theres a movie out called "The Pistol" which is a story of his life made back in the mid 80's. I'd say you could probabily find film on him on the net that you could download. If I find something I'll post it.

Check this out. He was pretty good.

Really though, Pistol Pete was one of the greatest of all time by most accounts, and that movie is one of my favorites. He did seem to get kind of shunned by the NBA though.
I am not sure that Elliott is much on defense. I know that they have some scorers and they will put the ball in the air. Should be exciting to watch. At least a mountain team is going to win one game in both boys and girls since they play each other. Good luck.
Pages: 1 2