Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rutgers 71 (15) Seton Hall 65
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PISCATAWAY – Corey Sanders shot 9-of-16 to score 22 points in helping Rutgers (10-3) to a 71-65 win over No. 15 Seton Hall (9-2) at the RAC on Saturday in the annual Garden State Hardwood Classic. Deshawn Freeman added a double-double (12 points, 16 rebounds), as the Scarlet Knights earned their first nationally-ranked victory since a 67-62 win over No. 4 Wisconsin.

A capacity crowd of 8,318 provided an energized setting for the rivalry contest, which dates back to 1916. It signaled the largest crowd at the RAC since February 23, 2002, a 66-60 RU win over the Pirates. The student section, which comprised a raucous segment of the crowd, flooded on to the floor at the game's conclusion to celebrate the comeback victory with their classmates.

"The environment was awesome," said Rutgers head coach Steve Pikiell. "I respect Seton Hall tremendously. They are well coached, have good players, and I knew it would be one of those games. I'm really proud of our guys. We weren't making shots, weren't making free throws, but we just hung in there. That's what we've done and we figured out a way to win."

With 6:06 on the clock, Rutgers trailed 63-65 and called timeout to halt a 9-0 SHU run. Upon returning to the floor, the RU defense limited the Pirates to 0-of-8 shooting, two free throws, and forced four turnovers to conclude the game on a 17-2 run to victory.

"Our defense keeps us around, which allows us to string together some shots, which we did," said Pikiell. "We did a really good job down the stretch."

Rutgers trailed by as much as 13 points in the first half and entered the locker room at the midpoint facing a 10-point (42-32) deficit.

After four ties, the Scarlet Knights took their first advantage of the contest, 65-63, after a pair of Sanders free throws with 2:22 remaining. Once the home squad had the lead, it refused to give it back to the visitors.

"I thought we turned it over in the last six minutes and that gave them some easy buckets," said Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard. "That gave them momentum and (Corey) Sanders hit some tough shots."

Sanders earned Joe Calabrese Game MVP honors for his efforts, which were boosted by backcourt mates Geo Baker and Mike Williams. Baker had 17 points, while Williams fought for several critical rebounds down the stretch.

"We just came out and did what we wanted to do, which was win," said Sanders. "We executed our game plan, which is the reason why we got that win. It just feels good to bring it back home to our fans."

http://www.scarletknights.com/news/2017/...e-rac.aspx
big win for Rutgers.