Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset Briar Jumpers 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
2017 - 7-5

Key losses:
Offense - Ty Tevis (5 RB), Josh Cornett (13 WR), Mason Reese (10 QB).
Defense - Collin Hartmann (11 DE), Ty Tevis.

Key Returning Players
Offense - Alex Miller (21 RB), Kade Grundy (7 WR) and the entire offensive line and all of their reserves.
Defense - Peyton Hatcher (34 MLB), Jase Bruner (1 ILB), Landon Fields (75 NG)

Jumpers return 8 offensively and 8 defensively. Somerset gave up 15 ppg while playing one of the toughest schedules in 2a. Obvious areas of improvement - offense needs to find a rhythm early and often.

Thoughts? Their district loses quite a bit and they return a LOT of talent.
I've said this for weeks. It's Somersets turn to shine in that district. They got a really good group returning and more coming thru the system.

I think they win the district and make some noise come November.
JumperPride1 Wrote:2017 - 7-5

Key losses:
Offense - Ty Tevis (5 RB), Josh Cornett (13 WR), Mason Reese (10 QB).
Defense - Collin Hartmann (11 DE), Ty Tevis.

Key Returning Players
Offense - Alex Miller (21 RB), Kade Grundy (7 WR) and the entire offensive line and all of their reserves.
Defense - Peyton Hatcher (34 MLB), Jase Bruner (1 ILB), Landon Fields (75 NG)

Jumpers return 8 offensively and 8 defensively. Somerset gave up 15 ppg while playing one of the toughest schedules in 2a. Obvious areas of improvement - offense needs to find a rhythm early and often.

Thoughts? Their district loses quite a bit and they return a LOT of talent.

I have always thought Lucas does a great job on defense.
I think you will see a better team this year than last year, the players have hit the weight room hard and have gotten stronger and faster. I hope to see something different in the offense this year and put some points up.
Somerset will win their District. This team has a good chance making a long, long run in the paly-offs.
JustThinking Wrote:Somerset will win their District. This team has a good chance making a long, long run in the paly-offs.

Winning their district would surely mean they could make a long run as that would mean beating both Danville and LCA. #boldstatementcotton
Tough district. It should be the Bunnies turn.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Winning their district would surely mean they could make a long run as that would mean beating both Danville and LCA. #boldstatementcotton

Go Jumpers!
Look for Bunnies to rebound after a couple tough years. Always a lot expected from the fans in this program. I think they come through this year. Could win the East.
Good luck to the Jumpers this year!!!
Think the Raceland game will be a good one.
The Jumpers could have a very special season.
They should be the favorite. Then Danville I would imagine. Sounds like LCA has lost a lot
Are the Jumpers numbers way down? I heard that they only have 4-5 freshmen and less than 10 sophomores. And that they will only dress around 35 total.
We scrimmage this Friday. It will be a good chance to see Somerset and Corbin and somewhat of a base for this years team
Walt Longmire Wrote:Are the Jumpers numbers way down? I heard that they only have 4-5 freshmen and less than 10 sophomores. And that they will only dress around 35 total.

I've heard the same. I think they'll end up with more freshman in the coming weeks. They had around 30 on the 8th grade team last year. As for the sophomores, 10ish is low for a class but not abnormally so for Somerset. There's been a few classes of 5 or 6 kids over the last 20 years or so. I think they end up with over 40, which is normal for a Somerset team. Not making excuses for the kids flaking on summer practice, but there will be more come out.
RoShamBo Wrote:I've heard the same. I think they'll end up with more freshman in the coming weeks. They had around 30 on the 8th grade team last year. As for the sophomores, 10ish is low for a class but not abnormally so for Somerset. There's been a few classes of 5 or 6 kids over the last 20 years or so. I think they end up with over 40, which is normal for a Somerset team. Not making excuses for the kids flaking on summer practice, but there will be more come out.

Just curious, but does that happen a lot? Kids skip summer practice then join the team? Doesn’t seem fair to the kids who stuck it out all summer. It’s not my program so I can’t say one way or another. But if I were a player I’d be a little upset. I kept waiting for our numbers to drop all summer. But we finished it with around 90 kids going into the start of school and the scrimmage this week. Good luck
Hard to get kids to commit to anything until the water park closes.
E's Army Wrote:Hard to get kids to commit to anything until the water park closes.

That summer pass isn’t a value if you don’t use it all summer I guess
Hound05 Wrote:We scrimmage this Friday. It will be a good chance to see Somerset and Corbin and somewhat of a base for this years team

Are you sure its this Friday because you're not allowed to go full pads until Aug 1....
I Rule The World Wrote:Are you sure its this Friday because you're not allowed to go full pads until Aug 1....

It’s a controlled practice next Friday
I'm glad to see Somerset back on an upward trend. I have always respected the program and the fan base. I have watched many games between Breathitt and Somerset and I have always witnessed good sportsmanship between both schools. I think Somerset is the district frontrunner this year. Danville will be good, but not great. I think Danville lost too much firepower to graduation, to be able to complete for another championship. LCA, from my understanding has lost three or four starters to other Lexington area schools, most notably to Frederick Douglas. With that being said, I don't see anybody else in the region posing any problems for Somerset. Leslie will be improved, but I don't see them playing within two touchdowns of Somerset. So realistically, they have a very good shot at a regional championship and a good shot at playing at Kroger Field in December. Good luck on this upcoming season.
JumperPride1 Wrote:It’s a controlled practice next Friday

Thought so...
Hound05 Wrote:Just curious, but does that happen a lot? Kids skip summer practice then join the team? Doesn’t seem fair to the kids who stuck it out all summer. It’s not my program so I can’t say one way or another. But if I were a player I’d be a little upset. I kept waiting for our numbers to drop all summer. But we finished it with around 90 kids going into the start of school and the scrimmage this week. Good luck

I certainly hope it doesn't become a trend. I can't say how much it has happened over the last several years, but I'm with you, it is unacceptable. I would chalk it up to just being a different era than I am used to, but as you said, other schools aren't having the same issues. I can't say that's for sure what's happening though, maybe 35 kids is all we will dress this year. But I will say that a couple kids whose names you would expect to hear a lot this year haven't made it out yet. I don't like it, but it is what it is.
RoShamBo Wrote:I certainly hope it doesn't become a trend. I can't say how much it has happened over the last several years, but I'm with you, it is unacceptable. I would chalk it up to just being a different era than I am used to, but as you said, other schools aren't having the same issues. I can't say that's for sure what's happening though, maybe 35 kids is all we will dress this year. But I will say that a couple kids whose names you would expect to hear a lot this year haven't made it out yet. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Couple kids playing travel baseball, freshman buy in isn’t always great in the summer.

I was told that the biggest impact baseball player (Grundy) will be back next week, that kid could be a big time ball player.
Hound05 Wrote:We scrimmage this Friday. It will be a good chance to see Somerset and Corbin and somewhat of a base for this years team
You have a time and place for that scrimmage? At Somerset or at Corbin?
The middle school is going to field close to 40 kids total. Not a huge 6th grade class but the 7th and 8th grade classes are decent numbers. Most of those kids are going to play high school ball.

The freshman class just didn't pan out to put players on the field. There is one in particular that could've been an immediate impact type and gave it up. Hurts small school programs when the best players aren't playing.
jamesdeane Wrote:You have a time and place for that scrimmage? At Somerset or at Corbin?

It’s at corbin. I wanna say it’s around 6 maybe. I’ll make sure and double check for ya.

Sorry for calling it a scrimmage guys. I don’t want to mislead anyone. We didn’t have “those” when I played. But basically Somerset is coming to corbin to play some sort of football that’s not 7v7 correct?
How did Somerset look in 7 on 7 with McCreary Central ? How did Central look ?
Didn't make it to the game but I was told Somerset scored 15 times and McCreary scored twice. No word on how either team looked.
Pages: 1 2