Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Open Job: Tates Creek
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who gets this job?
Pretty good gig. Had a very good season as well. Lost to FDHS twice and at Danville by 3.

2017 9-3
2016 6-6
2015 5-6
Why the change here.
Strikeout King Wrote:Who gets this job?

Dudley! Dudley!
E's Army Wrote:Why the change here.

He got a new promotion that didn’t allow him to be that plus their coach. He’s a school resource officer and received a promotion of that within the Fayette County school system.
Good job, overall. But you're running with the big dawgs with this one. Wrong guy could really take this thing to the bottom in a hurry. I guess that's any job though.
I'm always interested in how the Lexington public schools play out when they're open. The fact that they're all large schools but haven't been able to find high level success is interesting. I always end up wondering if whomever they hire will be someone who can take them to a really high level.

These are all interesting jobs, that's for sure.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I'm always interested in how the Lexington public schools play out when they're open. The fact that they're all large schools but haven't been able to find high level success is interesting. I always end up wondering if whomever they hire will be someone who can take them to a really high level.

These are all interesting jobs, that's for sure.

I feel the same way about all Lex jobs. Seems like they have shot themselves in the foot with pretty much every hire. There has to be more keeping these places from being successful than we realize.
What about Nate McPeek or Chris Mullins? Both are currently in the Fayette County Schools system and have head coaching experience.
thecoacher Wrote:What about Nate McPeek or Chris Mullins? Both are currently in the Fayette County Schools system and have head coaching experience.

:hilarious:

Nathan McPeek - His issues at Fairview were well documented. Good coach. Too much baggage.

Chris Mullins - Bro! Really? Reallllllly? This dude went 3-18 at Dunbar. He won like 13 games in 6 years at Greenup. Any AD who hires this guy needs booted A.S.A.P!
Wrong hire could push Tate's Creek to Dunbar's level
E's Army Wrote:Wrong hire could push Tate's Creek to Dunbar's level

You're exactly right.

Coach Sims deserved a lot of credit for getting the program to winning a district title. Dunbar, Brian Station, and Tates Creek all have the potential to be bottom dwellers without a strong leader.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:Good job, overall. But you're running with the big dawgs with this one. Wrong guy could really take this thing to the bottom in a hurry. I guess that's any job though.

Every class has it's big dogs and it's just been made more apparent in 6 classes. With Tates Creek you are at least in a district with like people; you aren't a knife going into a gunfight like so many other programs in several other districts within most all classes..

District 8 is NEVER crossed with the T and/or X district. You have a legit shot at competing for a birth in the Region Finals or beyond at Tates Creek and any place else Lexington area.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Every class has it's big dogs and it's just been made more apparent in 6 classes. With Tates Creek you are at least in a district with like people; you aren't a knife going into a gunfight like so many other programs in several other districts within most all classes..

District 8 is NEVER crossed with the T and/or X district. You have a legit shot at competing for a birth in the Region Finals or beyond at Tates Creek and any place else Lexington area.

Do they have the potential to get a big name coach? Does the presence of Frederick Douglass hurt them by taking some of their players ?
pjdoug Wrote:Do they have the potential to get a big name coach? Does the presence of Frederick Douglass hurt them by taking some of their players ?

Big name in terms of guys at places that win or can legitimately compete to win it all year in year out? No. Why would they? Unless they wanted to go pad their retirement for years to come & that would make sense....the last few years on Fayette County pay at Rank 1 is some coin; they also pay well coaching wise (well, by Kentucky standards...9/10K range).

Now...current head coaches who have had a good year or two at some average to below average program? Somebody(s) looking to play a shot at region titles? Sure. I could see this being a job for somebody like that.

But as I've said in years before and I'll say it again this year when it comes to job openings, but:

1) Coaches aren't really playing leap frog much anymore. There isn't any incentive to be honest, because in the grand scheme of things the pay just isn't worth it both literally and figuratively....sell your house, relocate your family, the headaches, etc. What one place has, the other one doesn't and vice versa.....different issues; same headaches.

Many of the actual coaches over the last few years that have left one job for another haven't moved & if they have actually moved then its more than likely been for a legit family tie and/or some kind of underlying connection (originally from said community).

Jobs come open for a reason. (Takes Creek doesn't really apply to this, so disregard that statement with regards to them. I think this will only be their 5th or 6th coach in the history of the program).

The Mayfield, Bowling Green's, Corbin, Highlands, T, X, Male, Danville, Belfry's, Highlands, Franklin-Simpson etc (the list could go on some more) do not.....and, there are reasons for that.
Well said
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Big name in terms of guys at places that win or can legitimately compete to win it all year in year out? No. Why would they? Unless they wanted to go pad their retirement for years to come & that would make sense....the last few years on Fayette County pay at Rank 1 is some coin; they also pay well coaching wise (well, by Kentucky standards...9/10K range).

Now...current head coaches who have had a good year or two at some average to below average program? Somebody(s) looking to play a shot at region titles? Sure. I could see this being a job for somebody like that.

But as I've said in years before and I'll say it again this year when it comes to job openings, but:

1) Coaches aren't really playing leap frog much anymore. There isn't any incentive to be honest, because in the grand scheme of things the pay just isn't worth it both literally and figuratively....sell your house, relocate your family, the headaches, etc. What one place has, the other one doesn't and vice versa.....different issues; same headaches.

Many of the actual coaches over the last few years that have left one job for another haven't moved & if they have actually moved then its more than likely been for a legit family tie and/or some kind of underlying connection (originally from said community).

Jobs come open for a reason. (Takes Creek doesn't really apply to this, so disregard that statement with regards to them. I think this will only be their 5th or 6th coach in the history of the program).

The Mayfield, Bowling Green's, Corbin, Highlands, T, X, Male, Danville, Belfry's, Highlands, Franklin-Simpson etc (the list could go on some more) do not.....and, there are reasons for that.

I knew you'd share your wisdom.by big name coach I don't really mean an old man on all time wins list. I just mean a top quality coach. seems like Tates Creek should be able to compete with about anybody. I wouldn't think places such as Pineville, KY would be a top destination for any coach looking for a new job, but it happens Smile
pjdoug Wrote:I knew you'd share your wisdom.by big name coach I don't really mean an old man on all time wins list. I just mean a top quality coach. seems like Tates Creek should be able to compete with about anybody. I wouldn't think places such as Pineville, KY would be a top destination for any coach looking for a new job, but it happens Smile

lol

I'm not talking about anybody on the all time wins list; there are plenty of guys out there coaching at places that have a chance to win it all that aren't at or even near the all times wins list.

Personally, I think they hire inside. Takes Creek has hired inside or at least inside Fayette County with every hire except for their first HC who was a guy named Straub (played at Highlands and later QB at WKU in the late 50's/early 60's & had been the Head Assistant at then My Old Kentucky Home when the GREAT Herbie Phelps was playing). Coach Roy Walton was hired after him and he wrote his own legacy, but he had been an assistant within Fayette County (and a former HC before that).

Joe Ruddell took over for him and he was on Coach Walton's staff.

Willoughby took over for Ruddell and was on Ruddell's staff at TC.

Mike Harmon took over for Willoughby and Harmon had been the HC at Lafayette for a few years before going over to Tates Creek. Guess what else though? He was on Ruddell's staff at Tates Creek before taking the Lafayette job.

Sims was Tates Creek Middle Schools staff head coach.

They will go within their staff and/or Fayette County. The only reason they don't? Is if for some reason any of those guys turn it down, but I don't see as to why they would.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Big name in terms of guys at places that win or can legitimately compete to win it all year in year out? No. Why would they? Unless they wanted to go pad their retirement for years to come & that would make sense....the last few years on Fayette County pay at Rank 1 is some coin; they also pay well coaching wise (well, by Kentucky standards...9/10K range).

I knew you'd share your wisdom.by big name coach I don't really mean an old man on all time wins list. I just mean a top quality coach. seems like Tates Creek should be able to compete with about anybody. I wouldn't think places such as Pineville, KY would be a top destination for any coach looking for a new job, but it happens Smile
Will be interesting to see if some of the names that told Dunbar no when they came calling will tell Henry Clay yes, at least on interest level.
plantmanky Wrote:Will be interesting to see if some of the names that told Dunbar no when they came calling will tell Henry Clay yes, at least on interest level.

You mean Tates Creek?
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:lol

I'm not talking about anybody on the all time wins list; there are plenty of guys out there coaching at places that have a chance to win it all that aren't at or even near the all times wins list.

Personally, I think they hire inside. Takes Creek has hired inside or at least inside Fayette County with every hire except for their first HC who was a guy named Straub (played at Highlands and later QB at WKU in the late 50's/early 60's & had been the Head Assistant at then My Old Kentucky Home when the GREAT Herbie Phelps was playing). Coach Roy Walton was hired after him and he wrote his own legacy, but he had been an assistant within Fayette County (and a former HC before that).

Joe Ruddell took over for him and he was on Coach Walton's staff.

Willoughby took over for Ruddell and was on Ruddell's staff at TC.

Mike Harmon took over for Willoughby and Harmon had been the HC at Lafayette for a few years before going over to Tates Creek. Guess what else though? He was on Ruddell's staff at Tates Creek before taking the Lafayette job.

Sims was Tates Creek Middle Schools staff head coach.

They will go within their staff and/or Fayette County. The only reason they don't? Is if for some reason any of those guys turn it down, but I don't see as to why they would.
That makes sense. possibly a head coach from another nearby school ?
plantmanky Wrote:Will be interesting to see if some of the names that told Dunbar no when they came calling will tell Henry Clay yes, at least on interest level.
You are posting like someone at Dunbar is playing an active role seeking out coaches. That is not how Lexington works.
pjdoug Wrote:That makes sense. possibly a head coach from another nearby school ?

Within Fayette County Public Schools? Maybe? But I don't think they are too keen on doing that within the system; at least from what I've heard.

As far as one of the private school guys at LCA or LexCath? I have no idea, but that wouldn't shock me for nothing else than getting back into the KTRS and at a solid program, don't have to move and very good pay.
ETHAN J. ATCHLEY folks, just remember that and hit me up later.
FBfan4life Wrote:ETHAN J. ATCHLEY folks, just remember that and hit me up later.

LCA's head coach, making the jump to Tates Creek? That seems like a lateral move to me, if true.
Until you consider retirement. I think LCA is a better job , until you factor in retirement. Just thinking of reasons. Don’t know
With all the recent upheaval concerning the future of KY’s teacher retirement, that might not be much of a factor—dunno.
Gitback Coach Wrote:With all the recent upheaval concerning the future of KY’s teacher retirement, that might not be much of a factor—dunno.

It's still good and better than the private sector route in education. The pay is better while you're in it + the retirement; now and with whatever will/won't pass.

It's just not going to pay to stay in education past 27 years and you won't be able to cash all of your sick days in when you retire for a big ole' check (which it used to be like that not so long ago as is).

I don't even think the 27 years and done will pass; if they do that. The extra 2/3% out of current educators checks to pay for retirees insurance in the pension plan will likely go through; maybe not...who knows. I'm not too knoweledgeable on all, but KTRS over the private school route (unless you are getting paid the JACK) is and will still be better in the long haul.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:It's still good and better than the private sector route in education. The pay is better while you're in it + the retirement; now and with whatever will/won't pass.

It's just not going to pay to stay in education past 27 years and you won't be able to cash all of your sick days in when you retire for a big ole' check (which it used to be like that not so long ago as is).

I don't even think the 27 years and done will pass; if they do that. The extra 2/3% out of current educators checks to pay for retirees insurance in the pension plan will likely go through; maybe not...who knows. I'm not too knoweledgeable on all, but KTRS over the private school route (unless you are getting paid the JACK) is and will still be better in the long haul.

Agree 100%
Pages: 1 2