Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Reasons for Firing Tubby Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TUBBY FIRSTS & WORSTS

*Tied the school record for consecutive years ( not appearing in the Final Four.)

*First coach to have 2 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.

*First coach to have 3 consecutive 10+ loss seasons.

*First coach to have 5 10+ loss seasons.

*First coach to have 5 10+ loss seasons in 8 years.

*Most Double Digit loss seasons of any UK coach

*First time losing four straight to an SEC opponent since 1980.

*First time losing five straight to an SEC opponent since 1977.

*First time ever losing six straight to an SEC opponent.

*Most Home losses than any UK coach

*Worst record at Rupp in (10-5 in 2005-06) in UK history (except 8-6 in 1988-89).

*First season sweep by Vandy in 32 years.

*First time since 1974 losing 4 straight to Vandy and only the second time in UK history.

*First loss to Ole Miss in Lexington since 1927.

*First (and only) coach to have 4 SEC losses in one year in Rupp Arena.

*Most losses over a two year period (outside of probation) in UK history

*Worst home loss since 1992 (105-88 to Arkansas).

*Worst loss to Indiana ever (26 points)

*Worst Senior Day loss since 1919.

*First third place SEC finish since expansion.

*First fourth place SEC finish since expansion.

*Worst Average Points Scored Per Game since the 3 point shot was introduced.

*First time going an entire regular season without beating a ranked opponent since 1974.

*First and Second time UK played on the opening day of the SEC Tournament since the league split into divisional play (1992).

*First loss in 19 semifinal appearances since the SEC revived its tournament in 1979.

*Eliminated in the second round of the NCAA tournament two of the last three years.

*First coach never to have either an athletic or academic All-American.

*Worst number of weeks having a team ranked #1 (1).

*First time (except probation) UK finished back to back seasons unranked since 1959-1961 (46 years).

*47% of players do not see their Senior year at UK.

*Fewest NBA draft picks of any coach with at least 5 years (only 2 1st rounders in 10 years)

These are interesting. By judging his resume, Tubby just isn't getting the job done, simply put.

"Kentucky Basketball = Lowered Expectations Since 1999" Rolleyes
Thats enough for me.
I think another poster had those same stats once before.

By reading those, it makes me wonder how Tubby can claim his $1.5 million bonus next month. An executive for a major company would be fired with a resume like that.
First Time Caller Wrote:An executive for a major company would be fired with a resume like that.
Very True
A janitor would have been fired for a job done like that.
The thing that most stood out to me was the number of players leaving. I knew he had lost a great number of players but I didn't think the number would be that high. I know that a lot of players leave early in todays game, but no school should lose nearly 50% of their players before their senior year. It seems that every single year tubby has some type of falling out with his players.
Yeah there has been the same thread started such as this.
What's odd to me is that a few years ago no one was calling for Tubby's demise. When I went in to UK as a freshman in 2004, Tubby was a celebrity and well-respected. The entire crowd chanted his name at Big Blue Madness.

Now, 2-3 years later, some people would like to kick his butt on the way out the door.
ComfortEagle Wrote:What's odd to me is that a few years ago no one was calling for Tubby's demise. When I went in to UK as a freshman in 2004, Tubby was a celebrity and well-respected. The entire crowd chanted his name at Big Blue Madness.

Now, 2-3 years later, some people would like to kick his butt on the way out the door.

Not odd just the nature of the beast.

UK fans are to college basketball what Yankee fans are to baseball.
If you dont at least play for the championship then its considered a losing season.
Tubby like Joe Torre knew what he was stepping into when he took the job.
Doc Holliday Wrote:Not odd just the nature of the beast.

UK fans are to college basketball what Yankee fans are to baseball.
If you dont at least play for the championship then its considered a losing season.
Tubby like Joe Torre knew what he was stepping into when he took the job.

Well said, Doc.
I Want Calipari.....calipari Calipari Calipari
golfman42 Wrote:I Want Calipari.....calipari Calipari Calipari

You want him, I want him and thousands of others want him. Seems as if just about everybody wants him except Mitch and Todd. When they do replace Tubby, it'll be with somebody that's close to Barnhart. Probably someone from the Oregon area.
ComfortEagle Wrote:What's odd to me is that a few years ago no one was calling for Tubby's demise. When I went in to UK as a freshman in 2004, Tubby was a celebrity and well-respected. The entire crowd chanted his name at Big Blue Madness.

Wouldnt want those same people watching my back!!!