Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Texas A&M Reportly Set To Fire Sumlin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It’s no secret that the Kevin Sumlin era is likely coming to an end after this season at Texas A&M.

However, now a report has surfaced detailing a timetable for the likely decision, according to Houston Chronicle reporter Brent Zwerneman.

According to the report, Sumlin will be fired in the days after Saturday’s LSU game, even if the Aggies manage to pull off the road upset:

Sumlin is expected to be dismissed in the day or days following the A&M game against the Tigers. The Aggies are a double-digit underdog to the Tigers, and an A&M victory wouldn’t save his job at this point, the sources said.

The report goes on to state that the Aggies have their top target in mind, and will look to Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher after firing Sumlin:

The Aggies’ top target is Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher, according to people with knowledge of the school’s plans.

Whether or not Fisher is even interested in the Texas A&M job remains to be seen, but the Aggies will aim high for their new coach.I

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-f...rget-mind/
No one knew Texas A&M prior to Johnny Manziel and after Johnny Manziel.
This is the year of coaching turnover in the SEC.

Texas A&M University has fired head coach Kevin Sumlin.

“Kevin’s tenure included some remarkable achievements and he leaves our program as one of the winningest football coaches in our storied history,” said Texas A&M University Director of Athletics Scott Woodward. “Kevin made us a better all-around football program and led our program with dignity and character. He’s a first-class person.”

“Our expectations at A&M are very high. We believe that we should compete for SEC championships on an annual basis and, at times, national championships. I believe that we need a new coach to take us there. On behalf of Aggies everywhere, my thanks to Kevin and his family for his service to Texas A&M. I wish him the very best.”

“My job is to hire the person who is the right fit to lead our football program,” Woodward said. “Obviously, our search will be quiet so the next time you’ll hear from me is when I’m introducing the new head football coach.”

Sumlin was named SEC Coach of the Year in 2012 when he led his first team at A&M to an 11-2 overall record, a victory over Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl, and a national ranking of fifth in the final Associated Press (AP) poll. Also at A&M, Sumlin coached 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel, one of only two players in A&M history to earn that coveted honor (joining John David Crow in 1957).

Texas A&M will honor the terms of Sumlin’s contract.

The 2017 season started off on the wrong foot with the blown lead to UCLA, and it appears that Sumlin couldn’t do enough to convince decision makers he could get the program headed in the right direction. Following the UCLA loss, the talks of firing Sumlin started.

Sumlin finished his Texas A&M career 51-26 overall, highlighted by his two best seasons while coaching Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

The one telling stat from Sumlin’s tenure is finishing 4-11 in SEC play in November.

So, where does Texas A&M turn now?

Jimbo Fisher is rumored to be a major candidate for the job, although it feels like it would take significant money and a desire to leave FSU for that to happen. Both could potentially happen.

With Arkansas, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee and, now, Texas A&M all open, things are going to be interesting. The domino affect around college football could be massive.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-f...in-sumlin/
I read online where Sumlin is going to be the leading candidate for the Arizona State job.
Jimbo Fisher is what I’m hearing.
What is Fisher's problem at FSU?