Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (6) Auburn 42 Louisiana Monroe 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
AUBURN, Ala. -- The message from Gus Malzahn was clear all week. Auburn couldn't afford to let up after taking down No. 1 Georgia the week before. His team heard him loud and clear. Despite a slow start, the Tigers found their stride in the second half and cruised to a 42-14 win over Louisiana Monroe on Saturday.

"I'm happy with our ninth win of the season," Malzahn said after the game. "We came out a little slow, which is uncharacteristic of us. At halftime, we really challenged our guys, and they finished like they should have. In the third quarter we played really good football, and we put the team away as we should have."

The Auburn defense forced three turnovers in the second half, which led to 14 points, and it was just the boost the Tigers needed to blow the game open.

Sophomore cornerback Javaris Davis got it started midway through the third quarter when he jumped a slant route and corralled an interception. Two plays later, Jarrett Stidham connected with Kam Martin on a 41-yard touchdown pass to give Auburn a 28-7 lead.

On the very next Louisiana Monroe possession, it was Davis again who ripped the ball out and forced a fumble that was recovered by Nick Ruffin. Though Auburn's offense gave the ball away down inside the red zone, the defense responded its next time out as Ruffin intercepted a pass and returned it 45 yards for a touchdown to put the Tigers up 35-7.

"When I got the ball, the only thing I was thinking was score," Ruffin said. "Instinct kind of kicked in. I had an incredible block - I think it was Daniel Thomas - and my defensive linemen were blocking for me downfield, so I wanted to utilize all their efforts and score for them."

Auburn's offense had its share of highlights Saturday as well. The Tigers marched down the field on the opening drive, and Kerryon Johnson capped a nine-play, 80-yard drive with an 8-yard touchdown run. Johnson, the SEC's rushing leader coming into the game, finished with 137 yards on 22 carries. Martin added 83 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

Later in the first half, Stidham threw a 50-yard touchdown pass to Darius Slayton to give Auburn a 14-7 lead going into halftime. The sophomore quarterback went 18 of 24 for 235 yards with the two touchdowns and one interception.

For the game, the offense finished with 547 total yards -- 312 rushing and 235 passing. Malzahn is now 20-1 in games where Auburn rushes for more than 300 yards.

Auburn (9-2, 6-1) will be at home again next Saturday against No. 1 Alabama. The winner of that game will represent the SEC West the following week in the SEC championship.

"I want them to enjoy this and relax their bodies and minds tonight, and then be ready to go," Malzahn said. "I know they will be ready. They've worked extremely hard getting to this point. That was their goal to begin with. We made that clear, so we'll be ready to go."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-foo...17aaa.html
Auburn tuning up for the Iron Bowl