Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Fire Eddie Gran!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If Mark Stoops wants to take the next step with UK football he will fire Eddie Gran! He is worse than the Joker at calling plays! UK scores on it's first drive of the 2nd half. That drive was pretty much all Benny Snell. Then when UK gets the ball back, Gran has Snell on the bench and a midget in at RB????? :flush: Isn't Benny Snell the best RB UK has had in a coon's age? If you really wanted to beat UGA why would you take Snell at that point in the game? Later in the game Gran puts a true freshmen WR in as the "Wildcat" QB and has the freshmen throw the ball. Why not have the QB that has lead UK to back to back bowl games throw the ball? After the INT is thrown by #1 UK let go of the rope! It drained the team! Gran's play calling today was cowardly and it showed that he didn't truly believe UK could win! We all seen how Gran blew the end of the first half of the Mississippi State game and failed to protect a tired UK defense. We all saw in the UT and Ole Miss games that Snell was unstoppable but for some reason that only a moron could have Gran kept trying to throw the ball. Why Gran waited until the last drive of those games to feed Snell the ball is a mystery to me???? Fire GRAN ASAP!
Who do you propose they replace him with that will do a better job of calling the plays?
Great year Cats!
Enjoy folks, next year may not be as good. Surprised me that it was as close as it was at half. Go Cats
Not sure a new offensive coordinator fixes our problem. Benny Snell is our best player and it’s not even an argument. So running the wildcat doesn’t bother me that much even though the whole country and my dog sitting beside me knows Snell is running. But what else would you want him to do? Our receiver dropped a WIDE open pass at the end of the first half that would’ve given us a first and gotten either a field goal or possible a touchdown. Then you have Stephen Johnson who I absolutely love and he’s one of my favorite Cats to ever play in the uniform. But this dude is not accurate a good portion of the time and his reads don’t make sense to me. And I know that is easy for me to say and I’m admitting to being an arm chair quarterback when talking about this. But he’s not an elite quarterback but I’ll be darned if he isn’t the grittiest QB/player I’ve seen at the university of Kentucky in a football uniform. Love his attitude on and off the field and he will go down as a legend in my eyes.

And don’t get me started on the roughing the punter call. Kentucky had a chance to really make this game interesting but shot ourselves in the foot. I’m not saying we would’ve won, but I believe it’d been a 10-14 point game instead of what it was.
The problem lies on the defense , we have improved on offense over the last 4 years IMO... We must recruit better DL and coach up who we have...And we need to recruit better at the QB position...
OldJacket Wrote:The problem lies on the defense , we have improved on offense over the last 4 years IMO... We must recruit better DL and coach up who we have...And we need to recruit better at the QB position...

Agreed. Our defense is just bad. DLine gets no pressure although for a little while yesterday we actually looked very good at dominating the line of scrimmage. Our LBs are not head hunting physical guys. Our CBS and DBs are probably the worst DBs in the country when adding in tackling and covering. Opposing offenses continually just slice and dice us for short gains all the way down the field and then they’ll take a deep shot here and there and go for a big one or even a touchdown. There’s honestly not a positive thing I can say about our defense. But to their defense, our offense keeps them out there a lot of the times.

But our tackling is just embarrassing, especially yesterday. It looks like our guys take terrible angles on purpose so they don’t have to make contact with the guy. And then yesterday I vividly remember seeing a time yesterday when I was in total disgust. It was in the first half they ran a QB delayed run and our best defensive player supposedly in Jordan Jones went up to make the tackle on a QB and it’s not like it was Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield he was trying to tackle. He just totally wife’s on the guy and he ran it for 10-12 yards.
honestjchsfan Wrote:If Mark Stoops wants to take the next step with UK football he will fire Eddie Gran! He is worse than the Joker at calling plays! UK scores on it's first drive of the 2nd half. That drive was pretty much all Benny Snell. Then when UK gets the ball back, Gran has Snell on the bench and a midget in at RB????? :flush: Isn't Benny Snell the best RB UK has had in a coon's age? If you really wanted to beat UGA why would you take Snell at that point in the game? Later in the game Gran puts a true freshmen WR in as the "Wildcat" QB and has the freshmen throw the ball. Why not have the QB that has lead UK to back to back bowl games throw the ball? After the INT is thrown by #1 UK let go of the rope! It drained the team! Gran's play calling today was cowardly and it showed that he didn't truly believe UK could win! We all seen how Gran blew the end of the first half of the Mississippi State game and failed to protect a tired UK defense. We all saw in the UT and Ole Miss games that Snell was unstoppable but for some reason that only a moron could have Gran kept trying to throw the ball. Why Gran waited until the last drive of those games to feed Snell the ball is a mystery to me???? Fire GRAN ASAP!

Joker was really good at calling plays, of course with practically 4 All-American's in Tamme, Burton, Tamme, and of course Woodson, I could have called good plays. However, I could see the argument for Gran getting fired. All of your points seemed valid, also Stoops doesn't get involved with the offense at all and Eddie Gran with total control over the offense will not get Kentucky to where Kentucky could potentially go. Not to mention, Kentucky has a future Pro-bowl Tight End in Conrad, that gets tremendously under utilized. He got one catch in a four game stretch this season. As a Louisville fan I hope Gran gets a twenty year extension.
Love Johnson’s grit and toughness but if Gran had a QB that was accurate UKs offense would look a lot different...Did you see Johnson miss Conrad for would have been a TD...
OldJacket Wrote:Love Johnson’s grit and toughness but if Gran had a QB that was accurate UKs offense would look a lot different...Did you see Johnson miss Conrad for would have been a TD...

Exactly. But to Johnson’s defense, we don’t have the most sure handed receivers in the country either.
The Ole Man Wrote:Joker was really good at calling plays, of course with practically 4 All-American's in Tamme, Burton, Tamme, and of course Woodson, I could have called good plays. However, I could see the argument for Gran getting fired. All of your points seemed valid, also Stoops doesn't get involved with the offense at all and Eddie Gran with total control over the offense will not get Kentucky to where Kentucky could potentially go. Not to mention, Kentucky has a future Pro-bowl Tight End in Conrad, that gets tremendously under utilized. He got one catch in a four game stretch this season. As a Louisville fan I hope Gran gets a twenty year extension.

You're an offensive guru it seems like, perhaps you could apply for the job?

Never understood "Fire ___ ASAP" posts. Does anyone wish for your unemployment? When it works, it's credit to the players. When it fails, it is the coaches fault. Ignore the fact that Georgia was just a lot better than Kentucky, Gran should've had the magic play call that works everytime ignoring the talent differential!
Spud6 Wrote:Exactly. But to Johnson’s defense, we don’t have the most sure handed receivers in the country either.
True
KYHSFB Wrote:You're an offensive guru it seems like, perhaps you could apply for the job?

Never understood "Fire ___ ASAP" posts. Does anyone wish for your unemployment? When it works, it's credit to the players. When it fails, it is the coaches fault. Ignore the fact that Georgia was just a lot better than Kentucky, Gran should've had the magic play call that works everytime ignoring the talent differential!

If I did my job like Gran I would be unemployed. I don't think you watched the game! UK's D just gets a stop, Snell has ran 2 times for a first down, the score is 28 to 13 UK has the ball on it own 45. Gran puts in a true freshmen as "Wildcat" QB the kid throws a INT and the game is over. That play call was a GIVE UP Call! Gran may as well waved a white flag! First of all the UGA D was focused on stopping Snell, common sense tells anybody that any trick play should involve Snell! Secondly it wasn't hard to see that the UK D was getting tried, they had just got a stop on 3rd down but it was clear they were still mentally into the game an still fighting! Any coach with half a brain could see that UK was in a perfect spot to go on a long drive that eats the clock and rest the D! Benny Snell ended up with 94 rushing yards on 22 carries that's 4.27 yards a carry! Call me crazy if you want but any good coach takes Snell puts in a extra blocker lines up and runs at UGA that drive! Once they get across the 50 they are in 4 down territory being down 2 scores. Good coaches go down fighting with their best players not some stupid trick play.
I disagree with all this Fire Eddie Gran BS..... I dont think Eddie Gran had a damn thing to with our sorry ass defense giving up 380 rushing yards to Ga?? Bottom line is Stoops teams just do not play physical football and defensively just get weaker and weaker in the 2nd half of every season... NOT Eddie Gran’s fault......
If only we had hired a defensive minded head coach Confusednicker: we have had two Defensive coordinators during Stoops tenure. Both are first time coordinators, how about Stoops actually go out and get us a damn experienced D coordinator, try recruiting some big ass D lineman. We have had decent LB’s and D-backs. Just get us some Dlineman and a coordinator. If Gran didn’t get all conservative after getting a lead I’d be fine with him. Just get more than one or two receivers that can actually catch. And use CJ Conrad a little more. The guy is a future Gronk.
D is the much larger problem.
When we do get one of these D lineman other big schools have recruited, we have no clue how to coach them up. Elam made a terrible decision in picking UK.

UK coaches don't have the first clue as to how to develop players. Do you think he's suck this bad if he would have chose Bama instead?
I agree 100% that our biggest problem is defense. Itfs absurd to get your hope up when it comes to UK football. This staff has reached its peak output on both sides of the ball. Stoops and co. Do not have the capability to do better than they just did.

This schedule is the reason UK got 7 wins. The Carolina wasnt a good win but a decent win. The rest were complete garbage wins over horrible teams.
E's Army Wrote:D is the much larger problem.

IMO Gran's game plan was terrible today. Jackson is hands down the best QB in the nation. Why not devise a game plan that eats up clock and keeps Jackson on the sideline? Why not devise a game plan that provides the QB with maximum protection? Yes I agree the Kentucky D is not very good but IMO Gran calls pays like he has the "Steel Curtain" just waiting to bail him out! A smart coach doesn't snap the ball until 7 seconds or less on the play clock, he instructs the ball carrier to stay in bounce. Go back and watch Super Bowl XXV, the Bills were a no huddle team that scored the most points in the NFL that season. The Giants game plan was to use up clock keep the Bill no huddle attack on the side line. A drive that was 9.5 minutes long is what kept the Giants in the game. Snell did rush for 211 yards today, so it's not like UK was facing the 86' Bears D today. Terrible game plan terrible coaching and terrible play calling!