Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: When Smacking Was A Foul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am told by my Dad that reaching in and
smacking used to be a foul in high school
basketball. Then, he showed me a couple
of old tapes of games, and. lo and behold,
it was true. Officials sure "let them play"
these days, which means, it seems to me,
that if you're bigger and stronger than the
other player, you can mug them without
consequence. "Foul 100 times...they'll
only call ten or twelve..." Is that good
defense, or a complete sea-change in
what the rules are? Basketball can
be a mole-whacking contest in current
mode.
Yes I agree, but what may have changed is the interpretation of the fouls. Think about it, fouls had to have been created for fairness and safety reasons. A charge prevents a player from just getting a run and go and bowling over people in the way. Walking, over the back, 3 seconds, etc… Now that they are more lax in calling fouls, is it less fair for all teams? Or more fair? I played back in the 70’s and you were very lucky to get away with a light hand check at the waist.
They don't call em like they use to thats for sure. I watched players knee each other and pinch, grab them where they ain't suppose to and nothing is ever called. some teams have some very dirty players. I wouldn't want my kid hurting another kid for the sake of a ball game, and any parent or coach who puts their kids or players up to that is not much of a person, imo. I've seen my cousin, after playing one team, and he said one guy was real bad for pinching. But he would have bruises all over his sides where this guy pinched him. Bad,bad playing and refs letting them get away with it.
I think basketball should be a game where physical contact
is not a major factor in how the game is played. Officials
could, if so instructed, get a handle on that. Defense is
about positioning and foot work, not holding and shoving
and bumping. I don't think basketball should be a "survival
of the fittest" sport right out of Charles Darwin. Of course,
I may be showing a "back in the day" bias...
It sounds like I am the odd man out. Back when I played in the 80's, it was called a lot different than it is now. Back then, if you got called for a foul, it was a foul. Well, except for over the backs on rebounds. If a player was shooting, you really had to hit them to get it called. I do think basketball is more dirtier now than it was then. Yes, you got to play more rougher then, but no one pinched or scratched or any of that stuff that goes on today.
Well then the 80's must have been different from the 70's and today. I myself pinched the back of the legs of a 7 footer I had to guard. And was instructed to do so by my coach. (Who played college ball in the SEC). I didn't care for the coach much eather. BUT I do think that the temperment of the games these days are dictated by the way the refs call the game.