Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Oct 31 2017 College Football Playoff Rankings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The SEC rules the top of this season's first College Football Playoff rankings, but not perhaps in the way most would think.

Though Alabama is ranked ahead of Georgia in the AP poll, the CFP committee sees the unbeaten Bulldogs as the No. 1 team ahead of the also unbeaten Crimson Tide, who sit at No. 2.

With both teams currently on a collision course for the SEC title game, the Dec. 2 game in Atlanta could serve as a playoff game for the CFP.

Following the SEC titans are six teams sitting at 7-1, led by Notre Dame at No. 3. The Irish's lone loss came in a home defeat to newly minted No. 1 Georgia. Should the standings hold as they are, Notre Dame could potentially leapfrog Georgia, were the Bulldogs to lose to the Crimson Tide in the SEC title game.

The fourth-ranked team is Clemson. At 7-1, the defending champions have flown a bit under the radar, but clearly the committee did not penalize the Tigers for a shocking road loss to Syracuse that featured Clemson losing starting quarterback Kelly Bryant to injury.

What the CFP and New Year's Six would look like if they were played today
Georgia checked in at No. 1, ahead of Alabama, in the first CFP rankings. That means the Bulldogs would play Clemson in the Sugar Bowl, while the Tide would get Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl.
Oklahoma plants its flag behind Clemson at No. 5. It appears the CFP committee agreed with Sooners quarterback Baker Mayfield, who said Monday he believes his team, which beat Ohio State in Columbus earlier this year, deserved to be ranked ahead of the Buckeyes since both have the same 7-1 record.

Those same Buckeyes have a good look at the Sooners' taillights as they land at No. 6, one spot ahead of the Penn State team they beat in Saturday afternoon's thriller.

The Buckeyes and Nittany Lions are the highest-ranked teams from the Big Ten, while undefeated Wisconsin is ranked ninth in the CFP. The Badgers lack a signature win, and have no CFP-ranked teams remaining on their schedule, but an undefeated run to the Big Ten title game and a showdown against potential East Division winner Ohio State or Penn State could vault Wisconsin into the top four.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...four-teams
Of course Notre Dame is in the top four. This makes me sick. College football is as bad as professional wrestling. If they could the committee and media would crown Notre Dame national champs every year.
Notre Dame needs to join a conference or get out.
You shouldn't be allowed to join without a conference
Alabama vs Georgia will be a battle for the ages if Georgia can get by UK
The Four team playoff is 1000X better than the BCS, but an Eight team playoff this year would be some of the best football we've ever seen.

1. Georgia
VS.
8. TCU

4. Clemson
VS.
5. Oklahoma

3. Notre Dame
VS.
6. Ohio State

2. Alabama
VS.
7. Penn State
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The Four team playoff is 1000X better than the BCS, but an Eight team playoff this year would be some of the best football we've ever seen.

1. Georgia
VS.
8. TCU

4. Clemson
VS.
5. Oklahoma

3. Notre Dame
VS.
6. Ohio State

2. Alabama
VS.
7. Penn State

They could easily do what the old 1 AA now FCS used to do and have a 16 team playoff. I thought that was perfect. They have now expanded it and diluted the whole system IMO, though.
Georgia is ranked number 1 in the country. Notre Dame lost by 1 point to Georgia and ND also have several top 25 wins. I believe I saw where they were 5-1 against the top 25. Based on their resume being in the top 4 is fair.
Notre Dame has beaten three over ranked teams in (17) USC, (20) North Carolina State, and (23) Michigan State. Regarless of that, the committee would have done what they could to get them in the top four. Notre Dame is the media darling of college football and in this case the committee darling as they are every year.
I just looked at their schedule and you are correct they have 3 wins over the top 25. Notre Dame has games at (9) Miami and at (18) Stanford left to try to solidify their place in the playoff.

Alabama on the other hand is undefeated but only has 1 win against top 25 teams with that win being against Florida State in the opener.

From a resume standpoint ND belongs but I have no doubt Alabama (or Georgia) would beat them if they played in the end.
How about this possibility? Let's say Notre Dame wins out, and so do Alabama and Georgia until SEC championship game. Then Alabama wins a really close one. Obviously they are in, but Georgia and Notre Dame would only have one loss each, and Notre Dame's would be to Georgia. You know Notre Dame is going to be a committee pick, could it be possible they would let it wind up being two SEC teams and an independent? That would leave THREE of the power 5 conferences completely shut out! I hope it happens, would really grease the wheels for eight teams in the playoffs.