Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (5) Wisconsin 38 Maryland 13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the most encouraging signs as the University of Wisconsin football team went through practice this week was that Troy Fumagalli looked like himself again.

The senior tight end has been limited by a left leg injury for about a month, but he was moving well and making plays as the No. 5 Badgers prepared to face Maryland. Most importantly, Fumagalli felt good enough after each session to come back the next day and do it all over again.

“And,” UW coach Paul Chryst said, “it carried over.”

Fumagalli’s presence was felt over and over during UW’s 38-13 victory over the Terrapins on Saturday at Camp Randall Stadium, and nobody was more thankful for that than sophomore quarterback Alex Hornibrook.

Seven of Hornibrook’s 16 completions – for 83 yards – went to Fumagalli, with most of that damage coming during a second quarter in which UW’s offense finally came to life after a long stretch of ineptitude.

“Fume needs to be that guy,” Chryst said. “He’s capable of it, and it was good to see.”

There have been valid reasons for Fumagalli not being that guy since injuring his leg before the start of Big Ten Conference play.

He sat out the conference opener against Northwestern, caught three passes for 31 yards the following week at Nebraska and wasn’t even targeted last week against Purdue.

This week was as close as he’s felt to 100 percent in a long time, and it showed.

“During the week, I felt great,” Fumagalli said. “I didn’t want to rush it. I know it’s a long season, so I just wanted to take my time, get better every week. Finally cutting it loose this week, I felt great and it felt great helping the team out.”

After scoring touchdowns on their first two possessions against Purdue last week, UW’s offense was held to a field goal the rest of the way during a 17-9 victory over the Boilermakers. The self-inflicted woes were visible early against the Terrapins (3-4, 1-3 Big Ten), who recorded takeaways on the Badgers’ first two possessions of the game.

The carnage from that stretch of four quarters: only three points produced over the course of 10 possessions, with three interceptions, two fumbles and three punts forcing UW’s defense to constantly come to the rescue.

The offense busted out of its slump in the second quarter against Maryland, going 70 yards in 10 plays on a drive that ended with freshman tailback Jonathan Taylor scoring from three yards out. Fumagalli provided a spark during the series with three catches for 29 yards.

On the next possession – a 12-play, 85-yard journey that extended UW’s lead to 21-3 on an eight-yard pass from Hornibrook to tight end Zander Neuville – Fumagalli had a pair of catches that totaled 30 yards.

“Obviously, he’s a nice target to have out there,” Hornibrook said. “When he’s active and playing, it’s awesome.”

Hornibrook and Fumagalli have developed chemistry over the past two seasons, a bond that gives the former a security blanket in pressure situations.

Not only has Fumagalli drawn a reputation as a magnet on third down – three of his receptions resulted in conversions against the Terrapins – he’s so good at catching passes in traffic that Hornibrook doesn’t hesitate to throw the ball his way in tight coverage.

“Usually if you put it in his area, he’ll come down with it or do the best that he can to make sure that they don’t,” Hornibrook said after completing 16 of 24 passes for 225 yards, with two touchdowns and an interception. “It’s good to have a receiver like that.”

Even during a relatively quiet second half, Fumagalli found a way to make an impact by drawing a pass-interference penalty to move the chains on third-and-6 in Maryland territory. Five plays later, fullback Austin Ramesh scored on a 1-yard run to give UW (7-0, 4-0) a 35-13 lead.

“Just win,” Fumagalli said of his mind-set on third down. “Coach gives me a bunch of freedom out there … and really gives me the best advantage I can (have). I expect to win. I want to make the big play for those guys.”

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...870ad.html
Wisconsin is lurking. Trying to sneak into the playoffs.