Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Somerset 52 Middlesboro 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That offense is really rolling, and the defense is as strong as ever! This is embarrassing and it has BEEN embarrassing. I hope this man can look at himself in the mirror and realize he NEEDS to step down. Stop making excuses stop trying to justify things and step down.
Somerset playing some football! Great job to the Jumpers!
Middlesboro needs to regroup and figure out what's not right. Congrats to both teams and the jumpers
There won’t be any coaching changes at Middlesboro.
Shouldn’t have to be a firing. If you’re a coach and you can see the body of work you have put together AT YOUR ALMA MATER....then you should have the guts to step down. But...you’re probably right he probably won’t absolutely GUTLESS!!! This team wouldn’t be any better in any class. Sure you may win one or two more games but this team wouldn’t be improved. Playing lesser teams doesn’t make us better. Bottom line is this guy isn’t capable of making a team bettter and those are FACTS!
Congrats to the Bunnies. Very good team with an outragous schedule. Their district is a beast.
This one was over before it began. Jackets look ready to ship off the pads/helmets for reconditioning.
Basketball season
E's Army Wrote:Basketball season

It's not like Middlesboro basketball team has been any better recently.

The overall record for the Yellow Jackets as of last Friday's loss to the Briar Jumpers is 9-32-1 under Massengil.

The basketball team the past 3 years (since the season hasn't started yet)
is a whopping 9-74.

Meaning combined Middlesboro football and basketball has gone
18-106-1. Which is a whopping .144 winning percentage.

I love my alma mater, but this a little embarrassing. I guess it's just hard because there are no athletes at all. I can't figure it out. Can anyone else?
I'm not going to pretend that I understand it at all when it comes to Middlesboro.

They have a few good athletes on the team as I saw it on Friday night. Some of the play calling was a little suspect but if there are any key injuries or inexperience due to age might be a factor? Unsure.

I figured they were outmatched but how much really showed when Somerset played a lot of reserves and Middlesboro didn't have much success. I wonder if their feeder units are struggling or if just sheer numbers is a problem? A lot of times, smaller schools have so many multi sport athletes, its terribly hard to be great at any of them.

I'd love for someone in know to give some insight.
Really thought that a tough schedule like that would have produced a team that was more battle tested and finished better than third in there district
Gummie Bear Wrote:Really thought that a tough schedule like that would have produced a team that was more battle tested and finished better than third in there district

Their district is loaded. Somerset has a good football team, Danville and LCA have really really good football teams. Its unfortunate really.

I wouldn't count the Jumpers out if they get the opportunity to play one of them again; we'll see.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Really thought that a tough schedule like that would have produced a team that was more battle tested and finished better than third in there district

Bunnies have finished 3rd in their district four of the last five seasons (and finished 4th the other). They have been a dangerous playoff team every one of those years, though.
CowboyDad Wrote:I'm not going to pretend that I understand it at all when it comes to Middlesboro.

They have a few good athletes on the team as I saw it on Friday night. Some of the play calling was a little suspect but if there are any key injuries or inexperience due to age might be a factor? Unsure.

I figured they were outmatched but how much really showed when Somerset played a lot of reserves and Middlesboro didn't have much success. I wonder if their feeder units are struggling or if just sheer numbers is a problem? A lot of times, smaller schools have so many multi sport athletes, its terribly hard to be great at any of them.

I'd love for someone in know to give some insight.

Well I am NOT in the know. But I have read and heard a lot over the past few years and have developed an opinion. You know what "they" say about opinions, don't you? Confusednicker:
I believe Middlesboro and to an extent, Bell Co have been subjected to questionable leadership and mountain politics. I'm not sure that the athletics or even the student body has been given their proper amount of respect, funding or attention. I can speak of things like mountain politics because I have unfortunately, seen that on a first hand basis.
As a result these two traditionally rich schools have suffered. And, at least in my opinion, it will take a while to get back to where they need to be. Bell appears to have made the turn, Middlesboro is almost there but they will make it if they keep on keeping on.
This is incredibly sad to me.
I may be wrong but this is how I see it.

As far as Somerset is concerned, I would not be surprised if they went to state. They have the talent and work ethic, if the politics were left out for them, too.

This is just my opinion. I won't defend it because I'm not trying to change other's opinions.
Is there any chance the Brock kid plays again?
bac2369 Wrote:Is there any chance the Brock kid plays again?

What Brock are you talking about? If it's for Middlesboro then I am assuming you're talking about Evan Brock and no he graduated. Managed to lead the team in tackles and be the best athlete during his first season of organized football ever.
I remember back in the early 70s when a Somerset vs Mboro or Corbin vs Mboro game was a barn burner...Sad to see Mboro down...
OMG!! Corbin and Middlesboro was THE game of the year!!! I remember it snowing so hard in Middlesboro one time, and they were behind by 4 points. 4th and goal with 15 sec left in the game, and Middlesboro threw into the end zone. We had to wait for the zebra to make the call because we couldn't see it for the snow!
teampaul Wrote:What Brock are you talking about? If it's for Middlesboro then I am assuming you're talking about Evan Brock and no he graduated. Managed to lead the team in tackles and be the best athlete during his first season of organized football ever.

No, the Brock kid on Somerset's team. That was the politics I was referring to earlier.

We can't talk about him though, guys. On going and litigious situation.
Granny Bear Wrote:OMG!! Corbin and Middlesboro was THE game of the year!!! I remember it snowing so hard in Middlesboro one time, and they were behind by 4 points. 4th and goal with 15 sec left in the game, and Middlesboro threw into the end zone. We had to wait for the zebra to make the call because we couldn't see it for the snow!

When I was at Middlesboro most people still considered Corbin a huge rival (although I doubt many Redhounds feel that way anymore). Some people put in on par or better than Bell County just because the Bell Co one has been one sided one way or the other for a long time.
Well, if “rivalries” have to be competitive, our only rival now is Pineville.