Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kids getting hurt 2017
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is everyone opinions on kids getting hurt so much this year

1 are the kids just bigger stronger and faster than the past

2 turf fields

3 not being taught the proper way to tackle ,
How 'bout this theory....especially regarding ACL's....back in "my day" (late 80's, early 90's) we hardly ever heard of a torn ACL....also, back in my childhood days, we didn't play sports (especially a single one) year round - but we did a lot of running through the woods, jumping over ditches, jumping down in the creeks, climbing trees, etc....My point is, a lot of secondary and supporting muscles/ligaments were being used at all different angles. Today, it is a lot of the same repetition of motion on the muscles/ligaments, which means certain movements the kids aren't used to like an awkward angle cut, could result in injury.....just my take on it.
Not allowing more physical contact in practice also contributes some I think. Going full pads is very limited so when they are thrown out there for entire games their bodies are not used to it and not a lot of reps as far as proper tackling unless the player has played for years through youth league,middle school ect.
2018 hasnt started yet
Can someone change the date to 2017 watching to much on this rocket. Boy north Korea messed me up
Plus I think when we were younger everybody rode bycle and walked to our friends house
the warmer weather that is going up yearly thanks to people not taking care of the environment has caused acls to be warmer and easier to tear obviously
Ballistic Wrote:the warmer weather that is going up yearly thanks to people not taking care of the environment has caused acls to be warmer and easier to tear obviously

Confusedtare:
Their off-season workout program possibly?
Had this conversation with an orthopedic surgeon friend awhile back. He said parents in virtually every sport were pushing their children to excess in pursuit of college scholarships or the dream of a professional sports career. He said: "The volume of training has increased anymore beyond the maturing young body's ability to handle it".

We also talked about the loss of what has become a cultural artifact: the playground athlete. Two decades ago, sports for children were often unorganized, with pick-up games common in schoolyards and community parks. It developed these kids ever muscle, joint and tendon perfectly, because they were using them all.

Lots of kids used to play baseball, basketball and football all in the same day, and he said actually that was good for their bodies, because it caused their bodies to develop in balance. Now young athletes play sports supervised by adults who have them doing the very same techniques, the same drills, over and over and over not processing every movement they need to help the whole skeletal system mature properly. When kids are playing one sport year-round, there is no rest and recovery for the overused parts of their body, or other body muscles, tendons, used when playing other things. Made sense!
AAU and overuse of same muscles

Supplements building the body more than it is supposed to be
I think kids are being pushed too much. A ligament isn't a muscle. They aren't made to stretch. Now some people have a little more laxity in their ligaments than others but generally a ligament breaks when stretched excessively. I just think every extra run, cut or jump just increases the chance of a ligament rupture. 5 days of practice and a game per week is rough on the body.
HOFER Wrote:I think kids are being pushed too much. A ligament isn't a muscle. They aren't made to stretch. Now some people have a little more laxity in their ligaments than others but generally a ligament breaks when stretched excessively. I just think every extra run, cut or jump just increases the chance of a ligament rupture. 5 days of practice and a game per week is rough on the body.
I'm in my 50's and we practiced and played the same amount and didn't have near the injuries today. I personally think it's the artificial turf.
:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Ballistic Wrote:the warmer weather that is going up yearly thanks to people not taking care of the environment has caused acls to be warmer and easier to tear obviously
eagles2011 Wrote:What is everyone opinions on kids getting hurt so much this year

1 are the kids just bigger stronger and faster than the past

2 turf fields

3 not being taught the proper way to tackle ,

What's the statistical evidence and research data you have that shows there are more injuries than in past years?

What the he'll are you talking about?

This might be Top 5 funniest posts ever on BGR, especially if it's serious.

E's Army Wrote:What the he'll are you talking about?
They asked this same question to Dr. Andrews and Nolan Ryan in a round table discussion. Nolan Ryan once threw over 200+ pitches in a game. The next day before the game he was in the outfield throwing. He never had surgery but threw more than anybody. Dr. Andrews attributed it to two things; no rest, and not enough "playing catch." He said nowadays they just get loose and go straight to the mound. The same can be said for any sport really, especially the rest part. When you see football teams out on the field in January or even April and May, you can best bet they aren't getting enough rest. They have young bodies that are still developing, and without rest and a balanced progression with their body, injuries are going to happen more frequently. Coaches think they will get behind if they don't practice as much as everybody else so until that changes nothing can change. Even the language over the past 40 years has changed. No longer are you "practicing to play a sport." You are now "working to get better at a sport." Big difference between "work" and "play."
E's Army Wrote:What the he'll are you talking about?

Confusednicker:
Putting a smart phone in everyone's hand and allowing every boo boo to be broadcast on BGR distorts things as well.
Good discussion. Agree with a lot being said on this subject.
Not to name no school but in the last 3 weeks I've seen two kids get knocked plum out had to be flown to hospital in Huntington two went two hospitals in ambulance from other school so don't no status of injury
Broke leg
Broke hand
3 torn acl
Turf has a lot to do with ACL issues, I think. Not to mention sickness and staph infection