Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Georgia Tech Police Kill Knife Wielding Man
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
According to the GBI, Georgia Tech Police officers responded to a 911 call about a person with a knife and a gun on the downtown Atlanta campus at 11:17 p.m.

The GBI said that when officers arrived, they found Scout Schultz, 21, outside a dormitory with a knife.

A cellphone video taken by a Georgia Tech student from his dorm room across the street shows the confrontation play out in the brightly-lit entrance to a parking garage. At least two officers have their guns drawn as Schultz walks toward them with arms down.

A knife is not visible in the cellphone video seen by CNN. Footage shot by CNN affiliate WSB after the shooting, however, shows a metal, flip-open utility tool that would likely include a small blade, lying on the ground.

A still image taken from cellphone video shows Schultz, in the white shirt, walking toward an officer.

"Come on, man, drop the knife," one officer says. "Come on, let's drop it," another officer says.

Schultz walks toward them slowly and shouts, "Shoot me!"
"No, drop the knife," the first officer says.

The officers repeatedly tell Schultz to drop the knife and one says, "Nobody wants to hurt you." Another says, "What's going on, man?"
More officers' voices are heard, telling Schultz not to move and to drop the knife. Schultz pauses briefly, then takes three steps forward before being shot once and falling to the ground.

Schultz died at a hospital.

Georgia Tech said Schultz was a fourth-year computer engineering major from the Atlanta suburb of Lilburn. Schultz also had a minor in biomedical engineering and planned to work on medical devices, according to a profile on the website of the Georgia Tech Pride Alliance, where Schultz was president.
The profile said Schultz identified as nonbinary and intersex and preferred the pronouns they and them.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/17/us/georgia...index.html
I'd say most of us on here have had run ins with bully cops. I did years ago with a Prestonsburg City jackass, but you have to pick your battles. Others times people literally ask for it. Mess with the bull, get the horns.
I'll get a lot of resistance to this, but I still don't understand how police haven't figured out how to use non-lethal force in a situation like this.
I also wondered why they didn't taze him.
Granny Bear Wrote:I also wondered why they didn't taze him.

Because they shot him instead. :biggrin:
Three people were arrested when protests turned violent at Georgia Tech Monday night in the wake of a fatal shooting days ago by campus police.

The three were arrested and charged with inciting a riot and battery of an officer.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that two police officers suffered minor injuries, one of whom was sent to the hospital.

The paper identified those arrested as Vincent Castillenti, Jacob Wilson and Cassandra Monden.

University spokesman Lance Wallace said in a statement that after the vigil, a group of about 50 protesters marched to the campus police department.

At least one protester reportedly tossed a flare into the police vehicle, setting it ablaze.

Video on social media showed smoke billowing from the police car, with crowds of people on the streets. It also showed a young man running, with a police officer chasing him, ending with the officer tackling him to the ground. Its unclear what led to the altercation.

University officials have told students to avoid Hemphill Avenue and stay inside. They tweeted, "Take Immediate Action Now!"

Investigators said police shot and killed Scout Schultz late Saturday night after the 21-year-old student called 911 to report an armed and possibly intoxicated suspicious person who fit Schultz's physical description. Police said an officer shot Schultz after she refused to drop a knife. The student’s family claimed the officer overreacted. ‘

A lawyer for the family told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Schultz was carrying a small utility tool. He said the blade was not out.

“We ask that those who wish to protest Scout's death do so peacefully. Answering violence with violence is not the answer. Our goal is to work diligently to make positive change at Georgia Tech in an effort to ensure a safer campus for all students,” the family said in a statement. “this is how we truly honor Scout’s life and legacy."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/19/geo...oting.html