Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike Expo Center bleeds cash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Audit shows operating deficit of $800,000

As critics had predicted, the controversial Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center in downtown Pikeville is having serious money problems with no immediate solutions, officials said yesterday.
State Auditor Crit Luallen reported that the 7,000-seat civic center ran up an operating deficit of almost $800,000 in fiscal 2006 and "cannot continue to operate within its current financial structure."
Local leaders renewed calls for the state to assume financial responsibility for the civic center, built largely with state money secured by former Gov. Paul Patton, who served a decade as Pike judge-executive.
The center opened in October 2005 at a cost of $29 million, $16.5 million more than what was proposed in 1998.
Nine months after a brisk beginning, however, a slowdown prompted the seven-member Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center Corp. -- appointed by Patton -- to ask Executive Director Donna Damron to serve as its general manager as well.
Three months later, Damron retired and the board asked a Philadelphia-based management firm, SMG, to run the center's day-to-day operations.
General Manager Steve St. John, who noted that the audit covers a period of time before he moved to Pikeville, said Damron has returned as a "contracted provider."
"We have high hopes," St. John said, "but right now, I don't see how it's going to be able to operate this coming year without state funding or some kind of help."
Local officials want that help from state coffers.
"It's there," said Pike Judge-Executive Wayne T. Rutherford, who was not involved with the project's construction. "We've got to live with it and deal with it. It's a state project, so they ought to take care of it."
Rutherford said the county and the city of Pikeville "cannot bear the burden alone. Maybe we will have to look to surrounding counties for assistance since it is, after all, a regional facility."
Gov. Ernie Fletcher said the state should work out a plan with local leaders and expo center officials to make the facility self-sustaining.
"This project may require interim funding from the state toward the path of becoming self-supporting," Fletcher said in a statement.
In a response released with the audit report, the expo center's board chairman, Charles Baird, said efforts are under way to increase revenue and trim expenses.
State Sen. Ray Jones II, D-Pikeville, said last summer the expo center had boosted the region's economy and provided unprecedented access to entertainment found previously only in Lexington and Louisville.
At the time, however, Stan Cave, Fletcher's chief of staff, said the general belief among state policy-makers was that while the state can build civic centers, "once they're constructed, they should be stand-alone facilities and self-supporting."
St. John said the facility's major problem is the lack of an "anchor tenant," such as a sports team, to pay down the fixed costs of running a civic center.
"We don't have enough activity going on at this point to substantiate our budget," he said.
St. John said the center's expenses were mostly for "staffing, utilities and general expenses."
In the audit report, Luallen said the center plans to cover this fiscal year's anticipated deficit with the remaining interest from construction funds and $250,000 in coal severance money appropriated by fiscal court.
While these funds address short-term cash flow needs, they will not meet the arena's long-term budgetary needs, Luallen said.
They need some serious government funding.

The expo center is bringing in events that they simply cannot afford, to an area that does not have as wide a draw as venues such as those in Lexington/Cincinnati/etc.
From what's been posted in other threads on here, the Expo is trying to make up this difference in concessions.... $2.50 for water... I know what we make on a case of water and they're smiokin' folks!(LOL) I thought...hmmmm if we charged $2.50 for water, we'd make...... $$$$$LOL!
How bout PC using it as their home court? Do they? How bout booking some teams like EKU or Morehead to play teams there.... maybe ones from Tennessee... meetin' halfway!
Look... The State has funded everyone and their brother in the bluegrass... and we all know who built the bluegrass up.... so maybe those ol fellas need to put up and shut up!
Batpuff Wrote:Audit shows operating deficit of $800,000

As critics had predicted, the controversial Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center in downtown Pikeville is having serious money problems with no immediate solutions, officials said yesterday.
State Auditor Crit Luallen reported that the 7,000-seat civic center ran up an operating deficit of almost $800,000 in fiscal 2006 and "cannot continue to operate within its current financial structure."
Local leaders renewed calls for the state to assume financial responsibility for the civic center, built largely with state money secured by former Gov. Paul Patton, who served a decade as Pike judge-executive.
The center opened in October 2005 at a cost of $29 million, $16.5 million more than what was proposed in 1998.
Nine months after a brisk beginning, however, a slowdown prompted the seven-member Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center Corp. -- appointed by Patton -- to ask Executive Director Donna Damron to serve as its general manager as well.
Three months later, Damron retired and the board asked a Philadelphia-based management firm, SMG, to run the center's day-to-day operations.
General Manager Steve St. John, who noted that the audit covers a period of time before he moved to Pikeville, said Damron has returned as a "contracted provider."
"We have high hopes," St. John said, "but right now, I don't see how it's going to be able to operate this coming year without state funding or some kind of help."
Local officials want that help from state coffers.
"It's there," said Pike Judge-Executive Wayne T. Rutherford, who was not involved with the project's construction. "We've got to live with it and deal with it. It's a state project, so they ought to take care of it."
Rutherford said the county and the city of Pikeville "cannot bear the burden alone. Maybe we will have to look to surrounding counties for assistance since it is, after all, a regional facility."
Gov. Ernie Fletcher said the state should work out a plan with local leaders and expo center officials to make the facility self-sustaining.
"This project may require interim funding from the state toward the path of becoming self-supporting," Fletcher said in a statement.
In a response released with the audit report, the expo center's board chairman, Charles Baird, said efforts are under way to increase revenue and trim expenses.
State Sen. Ray Jones II, D-Pikeville, said last summer the expo center had boosted the region's economy and provided unprecedented access to entertainment found previously only in Lexington and Louisville.
At the time, however, Stan Cave, Fletcher's chief of staff, said the general belief among state policy-makers was that while the state can build civic centers, "once they're constructed, they should be stand-alone facilities and self-supporting."
St. John said the facility's major problem is the lack of an "anchor tenant," such as a sports team, to pay down the fixed costs of running a civic center.
"We don't have enough activity going on at this point to substantiate our budget," he said.
St. John said the center's expenses were mostly for "staffing, utilities and general expenses."
In the audit report, Luallen said the center plans to cover this fiscal year's anticipated deficit with the remaining interest from construction funds and $250,000 in coal severance money appropriated by fiscal court.
While these funds address short-term cash flow needs, they will not meet the arena's long-term budgetary needs, Luallen said.
This thread needs to give credit to the author.
ComfortEagle Wrote:They need some serious government funding.

The expo center is bringing in events that they simply cannot afford, to an area that does not have as wide a draw as venues such as those in Lexington/Cincinnati/etc.

Maybe they should have started slow and worked up to bigger acts. The food is not going to make up the difference , that difference anyway.
They should have asked other places about acts and events and food prices.
If the county cannot afford it , it needs to close it's doors . Period
Do they pay these people too much to come just to get them in Pikeville, if so they should not have?
they do need help and someone else to run it. someone who knows that u cant just have one event there every three months. it shouldnt be that hard to get some kind of draw in there every month.
Maybe they need a better way of counting who is attendence, announcing 4400 in a building that hold 7000 and it looked very close to full during the regional
Doc Holliday Wrote:Maybe they need a better way of counting who is attendence, announcing 4400 in a building that hold 7000 and it looked very close to full during the regional
How would that add revenue though?
They get a persentage from the gate at the 15th region tournement, as well as 80% of the concessions.
Not saying they did anything wrong
I am saying that a building that holds 7000 that looked close to full but listed as closer to half empty would mean either someone is getting in free, or mis counting somewhere.
Doc Holliday Wrote:They get a persentage from the gate at the 15th region tournement, as well as 80% of the concessions.
Not saying they did anything wrong
I am saying that a building that holds 7000 that looked close to full but listed as closer to half empty would mean either someone is getting in free, or mis counting somewhere.

They are probably giving away too many VIP tickets and 7000 probably means during concerts when they have floor seats also.
That would mean 3000 seats on the floor.
concessions have to make up for some money 2.50 for water dang.
They need to get more acts in. They have something there once a month. When they do have a concert most of the time it keeps attracting the same people. Let's say I liked country music. I can't afford to buy tickets to Hank, Montgomery Gentry, Trace Adkins, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. etc. time after time after time. Bring some acts in there that will draw the young people from Pike and surrounding counties out. Plan something like the Taste of Chaos tour or something along the lines of Warped to bring in bands that appeal to a totally different crowd. Different people would come, they could afford it, it's a totally different crowd who has a bigger following than most people would think and they would all go because those bands don't come around here that often and the closest shows are usually in Ohio, not even in Kentucky.
thetribe Wrote:They need to get more acts in. They have something there once a month. When they do have a concert most of the time it keeps attracting the same people. Let's say I liked country music. I can't afford to buy tickets to Hank, Montgomery Gentry, Trace Adkins, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. etc. time after time after time. Bring some acts in there that will draw the young people from Pike and surrounding counties out. Plan something like the Taste of Chaos tour or something along the lines of Warped to bring in bands that appeal to a totally different crowd. Different people would come, they could afford it, it's a totally different crowd who has a bigger following than most people would think and they would all go because those bands don't come around here that often and the closest shows are usually in Ohio, not even in Kentucky.
Got your tickets to ZZ Top???
No sir. Not my cup of tea. I may mention it to my dad though. If he is interested then I would go with him.
thetribe Wrote:No sir. Not my cup of tea. I may mention it to my dad though. If he is interested then I would go with him.

I'm going to go see ZZ Top with my dad, actually. Kind of an early Father's Day present. I probably wouldn't go to the concert otherwise, although I did like some of their songs back in the day...