Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 27 Eastern Kentucky 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Eastern Kentucky led Kentucky for nearly three quarters before the Wildcats came from behind to pull out a 27-16 victory on Saturday at Kroger Field in Lexington.

After UK made a field goal on its first possession of the game, Eastern scored 13 unanswered points and continued to lead until the 2:57 mark of the third quarter.

On the Colonels' first possession of the game, Tim Boyle drove the team 75 yards on nine plays to the go-ahead score. Ryan Markush caught a seven-yard touchdown pass to polish off the drive. The extra-point from Lucas Williams made it 7-3 with 6:22 left in the first quarter.

As part of the regular game plan, Austin Scott came on to quarterback the Colonels for the first possession of the second quarter. He methodically moved EKU 66 yards on 12 plays over 6:39. A hand-off and run up the middle by newcomer LJ Scott from seven yards away finished off the drive. The extra-point was blocked and the visitors led 13-3 with 5:44 left in the second quarter.

Kentucky added a score, on a 23-yard pass from Stephen Johnson to C.J. Conrad, with 1:28 remaining before the break to set the halftime score at 13-10.

Eastern went up 16-10 with 4:08 left in the third when Williams sent a 31-yard field goal through the uprights. UK answered on its very next drive, moving 75 yards on just three plays to take the lead. Benny Snell's 25-yard touchdown run and ensuing extra-point made it 17-16 in favor of the home team with 2:57 showing on the clock in the third.

Kentucky scored on a 21-yard run by Johnson almost five minutes into the fourth quarter to go up eight. Eastern refused to let the Cats pull away. A field goal in the final 30 seconds of the game set the final score.

EKU registered three sacks while the Colonel offensive line allowed just one by the Wildcats. Eastern turned the ball over twice, but did not force a turnover.

Two quarterbacks combined for 256 yards passing for Eastern Kentucky while UK totaled 229 yards through the air. The Wildcats ran the ball 39 times and out-gained EKU 207-62 on the ground.

Boyle finished 24-for-35 for 202 yards. He tossed one touchdown and one interception. Markush caught 10 passes for 98 yards, including one score. Neiko Creamer made eight catches for 82 yards. Scott finished with 40 yards on nine carries.

Kobie Grace had a game-best 15 tackles. Jeffrey Canady finished with 13 tackles, including 1.5 sacks. Luder Jean Louis also recorded 1.5 sacks to go along with five tackles.

Scott completed 7-of-8 passes for 54 yards in one series that resulted in a touchdown.

Johnson went 15-for-22 for 224 yards and threw one touchdown pass for Kentucky. Blake Bone caught three passes for 93 yards. Snell totaled 103 yards on 19 carries.

The Colonels will have a week off of game action before beginning conference play at home on Sept. 23 against Tennessee Tech. Kickoff at Roy Kidd Stadium is scheduled for 6 p.m.

NOTES
Ryan Markush's 7-yard touchdown catch from Tim Boyle was his third of the season and the third time the duo have hooked up for a touchdown in the first two games of the season.

LJ Scott's second quarter 7-yard touchdown run was his first score as a Colonel.

http://ekusports.com/news/2017/9/9/footb...eback.aspx
A UK Perspective

“It was a thing of beauty to me,” the Cats’ head coach said.

Stoops met that win’s twin on Saturday in the form of a 27-16 not-always-pretty victory over Eastern Kentucky at Kroger Field.

Again the Kentucky coach didn’t seem concerned about how the win looked, just that it was a win.

“It feels very good to be 2-0,” Stoops said. “We know we got a lot more in us. There’s a lot of things we can come out play a little better, execute. But it’s about us, it’s about our discipline, execution, things that we can get fixed.

“So we’ll play better. We’re excited about it.”

Kentucky has got to play better — especially better than it did in the first half when it fell behind by 10 points to the Colonels — before it starts Southeastern Conference play on the road at South Carolina next weekend.

“We got some big stops, got some turnovers,” Stoops continued. “Again, did what we had to do to win. We’ll look at all areas. We’ll continue to improve.”

Much like it did in the opener, Kentucky got some key defensive plays, including a forced fumble and an interception in the second half. It held EKU to just a field goal after halftime.

And the Cats’ offense found some continuity in the form of big plays from quarterback Stephen Johnson and steady running from Benny Snell and Sihiem King.

It was Snell’s 25-yard scoring run that helped put Kentucky up for good 17-16 with 2:57 left in the third quarter. The star running back managed 19 carries for 103 yards despite suffering bruised ribs early in the game.

“I don’t like being out,” Snell smiled. “That’s a team we shouldn’t lose to. So that second half, I knew my team needed me.”

A few minutes later, Johnson added a 21-yard scoring run on a botched play that helped give Kentucky some breathing room against the Colonels (0-2).

“I was trying to go to C.J. Conrad on the out route,” Johnson said of his rushing touchdown. “It was kind of covered up. … I tried to escape the pocket. I guess I could’ve run out of bounds, but didn’t. I just kept going inside.”

Those are the kinds of plays that make Johnson so dangerous, Stoops said.

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/k...85417.html
I rooted for EKU almost the entire game.

If you watch college football you can tell what teams have staffs that know how to prepare and game plan and ones that do not.
Stoops and company has absoloutly no clue what they're doing
^^Let me guess. You still want Pretrino, right?

Confusednicker:

Actually, most anyone would be better than Stoops at this point.
I heard EKU looked good and played hard but they wore in the 4th quarter.
They really did. They should definitely contend in the OVC this year.
Granny Bear Wrote:^^Let me guess. You still want Pretrino, right?

Confusednicker:

Actually, most anyone would be better than Stoops at this point.

Perino has been tainted now that he went back to UofL.
He will never be able to recruit really good players again.
But yes, I would take him in a heartbeat over stoops troops
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Perino has been tainted now that he went back to UofL.
He will never be able to recruit really good players again.
But yes, I would take him in a heartbeat over stoops troops

Out of curiosity how did Stoops' Troops beat a much more talented Louisville team on the road last year? Honest question.
Motley Wrote:Out of curiosity how did Stoops' Troops beat a much more talented Louisville team on the road last year? Honest question.
That is a very good question, I believe Louisville was flat and Ky played with the kind of energy and confidence that we always hope they will. I do however have a feeling that Petrino, Lamar and company will come with some serious payback in their hearts this year and Ky will have to play the game of their lives to have any chance at another victory.
Motley Wrote:Out of curiosity how did Stoops' Troops beat a much more talented Louisville team on the road last year? Honest question.

Lville knew their season was over from a playoff standpoint. Had their worst game of the year followed by the Houston disaster.
UK came in and played like it was the Superbowl. Even playing their best game UK had to get so lucky that a heisman winner had to fumble in the closing minutes to give a chance to win.

If you think UK was even half as talented as that UofL team was last year you are still as delusional as you've always been.

Say what you will about motorcycle Bobby, he is a better coach than yahtzee man on UKs sideline
As for this EKU game, you can give EKU a lot of credit for playing inspired football and taking advantage of of having one high quality wr, but the performance by KY's offensive coordinator and offense with the exception of our QB especially in the first half was just embarrassing to put it kindly. Like it's not enough disrespect to Johnson to take him out of the QB position every time we drive into red zone to run the most ridiculous play in football (wildcat play) but we take him out and put Barker in as if it was his fault that we didn't score on two drives that were critically hurt by running the wildcat and losing yardage on it? IMO Gran needs to scrap the wildcat play and appreciate the man that has carried this team to a 9-3 record as a starter??? Come up with a game play that can take advantage of his ability to throw the ball accurately down the field, something that all SEC coaches wish desperately their QB could do.......