Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Steelers cut Porter, Haynes to get under the cap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After two weeks of internal debate, the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to cut ties with one of their most recognized players -- linebacker Joey Porter.

[Image: 6053.jpg]
Haynes
[Image: 4723.jpg]
PorterPorter and running back Verron Haynes were released Thursday as the Steelers got under the salary cap. But the decision to release Porter wasn't as much a cap move as it was a change in direction. A three-time Pro Bowl performer, Porter turns 30 on March 22. And with new coach Mike Tomlin taking over for Bill Cowher, the Steelers were looking to go in a different direction with their linebacking corps

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2784626
I saw this and as much as I hate the Steelers, it might be a good move to bring him in to be a run stopper/pass rusher in the middle. I doubt they'd go for it, and they might want a younger guy.
WOW I would have never thought Porter would go.
Pitt always lets their best players go. Examples are Plexaico, Porter, and Gildon.
BFritz Wrote:I saw this and as much as I hate the Steelers, it might be a good move to bring him in to be a run stopper/pass rusher in the middle. I doubt they'd go for it, and they might want a younger guy.

I meant for the Bengals to do that, probly should have mentioned that........
this Tomlin is an idiot...as a diehard fan, I have stuck with them through everything, and I even questioned the Cowher hire, but this guy comes in and is already making the wrong headlines....I cant believe Porter was cut loose. Haynes doesnt bother me that much, but his versatility will be missed, but Porter?? This guy identified with Steeler fans, was accessible to the fans, and was the perfect Steeler. I just hope and pray he dont go to Cincy, because that will be a nightmare..Unbelievable.
And with all honesty TH32, just like Lofton(UT) against UK, you would be smiling inside to see Porter absolutely smack the Steelers in the mouth when and if he does face them!
I saw Hines Ward on ESPN and he didn't seem to be too happy.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:this Tomlin is an idiot...as a diehard fan, I have stuck with them through everything, and I even questioned the Cowher hire, but this guy comes in and is already making the wrong headlines....I cant believe Porter was cut loose. Haynes doesnt bother me that much, but his versatility will be missed, but Porter?? This guy identified with Steeler fans, was accessible to the fans, and was the perfect Steeler. I just hope and pray he dont go to Cincy, because that will be a nightmare..Unbelievable.

Not sure how Pittsburgh works, but for most teams, head coaches don't make personnel decisions. They just coach with what they have. The team GM makes most decisions reguarding the signing, releasing, and drafting of personnel.
horrible mistake
MVP2 Wrote:horrible mistake
AGREE!!!!!
I hope my Raiders can pick up Porter, they need a stud in the middle of that Defense.
I hope my Skins grab him!
Bad move on the behalf of Pittsburgh.
:afc: i think thet steelers should have kept him. he was the backbone of that defense but i guess, that's the steelers- =but good luck to them anyways