Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Maggoffin & Betsy Layne 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am hearing that mag.will be moving to the 58th and Betsy Layne will be going to one of the Pike County Districts.Anyone else heard anything. I heard that mag. has already got there letter from the KHSAA.
BLUEGRASS-RULES Wrote:I am hearing that mag.will be moving to the 58th and Betsy Layne will be going to one of the Pike County Districts.Anyone else heard anything. I heard that mag. has already got there letter from the KHSAA.
I hope not. We are in the best district in the hills. IMO. But, I heard that also last night.
Would hate to see it. But Magoffin may have a better chance of making it to regions every year. But it would be strange seeing Magoffin not play Paintsville or JC.
that does'nt sound good.. Id like to see them stay in the 57th, tho they would prolly dominate the 58th..
Can't imagine Magoffin not being in the 57th. But if they do go to the 58th Magoffin could win the district many more times then they have won the 57th. I think its would be a good move as long as they schedule Johnson Central, Paintsville, and Sheldon Clark cause those are some of the best games to watch in the Mountains. On the Lady Hornet side, it becomes a huge advantage because they need the 3 seniors to win the 57th but not so much in the 58th.
Yeah I heard the same thing, trying to even out the Districts.
I have talked with a few people this week and it looks to be true. I think the move is to move a team out of a crowded district and put one team in basically a three team district. I think this is a good move for EKY basketball.
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:that does'nt sound good.. Id like to see them stay in the 57th, tho they would prolly dominate the 58th..

I do not think they will dominate the 58th. I have followed Pburg basketball and the 58th really close since around 2000 and I know Magoffin plays only BL and Pburg on a yearly basis. Since 01-02 season Pburg has a 10-2 record against Magoffin and from what I can remember BL has a 7-3 record against them and these are usually a 3 seed in the 58th. From 2000-2004 SF was the dominate team in the 58th. I think Magoffin is a solid team and the 58th will be very competetive every year.
There is no way that Magoffin will dominate the 58th, if they came to it. South Floyd is in a slump right now but, it won't be long before they get out of it, and Prestonsburg is tough every season, and so is Allen Central. Magoffin would be good in the 58th and may win some district championships, but again theres no way they'd dominate the 58th.
there is a meeting in April to decide if this happens or not .If it does they maybe will wait till next year cause of some scheduling problems all this depends on if David folds there team or not if Magoffin moves. From what I have been told Betsy Layne will go to the 59th , Magoffin to the 58th and Letcher will leave the 14th region and go into the 60th district which makes sense to me.
welp id like to see p-burg be in a district with p-ville and johnson central and see how they do....
and didnt they get knocked out of the district tourny and if i remember correctly Magoffin is going to region.....so...???????
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:welp id like to see p-burg be in a district with p-ville and johnson central and see how they do....

Oh, is some one upset? If I am not mistaken(and usually I'm not) no one from Pburg got on here and said they would dominate that disrtict now did they? You were the one that made the statement that Magoffin would dominate and you got a response, but I guess you didn't like it.
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:and didnt they get knocked out of the district tourny and if i remember correctly Magoffin is going to region.....so...???????

As a matter of fact that is true. But instead of saying negative things about your school, I will take the higher road and give you a little history. Pburg has played in 5 consecutive regional tournys (6 in last 8 years) and in that run played in 3 consecutive final 4's. So I don't think one decent season in which a bunch of kids became quality young men is anything for the Cats to dropped their heads about,

Instead of getting on here and bashing PBurg all the time why don't you go to some games and get some bball knowledge so you can have some quality post to add to this site. No one has said anything negative about Magoffin, yet instead of discussing the possible move you just throw out a bunch of nonsense.
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:As a matter of fact that is true. But instead of saying negative things about your school, I will take the higher road and give you a little history. Pburg has played in 5 consecutive regional tournys (6 in last 8 years) and in that run played in 3 consecutive final 4's. So I don't think one decent season in which a bunch of kids became quality young men is anything for the Cats to dropped their heads about,

Instead of getting on here and bashing PBurg all the time why don't you go to some games and get some bball knowledge so you can have some quality post to add to this site. No one has said anything negative about Magoffin, yet instead of discussing the possible move you just throw out a bunch of nonsense.

welp to bad we are talking about this year, and not last 8 years bub.... :howdy:
all i was trying to say was 58th will be an easy region to play in instead of the 57th.....
and i still think this is correct...

im so so so sorry ur blackcats got beat out, i was actually wanting to see them in the region, its always an exciting game when MC plays them...
I hope this DOESN'T happen. To breakup the remaining teams that makeup the Floyd County Conference is ridiculous, not to mention a hardship on fans from South Floyd, who would have to travel to Magoffin (and vice versa) for a district game. Terrible idea and I don't believe it will happen.
If this happens or don't happens, it just doesn't seem right to have the 5 teams that's in the 57th District. The 57th was tough enough when there were 4 teams.
How would it be any more of a hardship on South Floyd than it already has been on Magoffin?
Try driving from Magoffin to Inez or Louisa.
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:Oh, is some one upset? If I am not mistaken(and usually I'm not) no one from Pburg got on here and said they would dominate that disrtict now did they? You were the one that made the statement that Magoffin would dominate and you got a response, but I guess you didn't like it.

Well oh pal you are mistaken on one of you previous post's because the past 2 years Magoffin has played betsy layne 4 times and won all 4 so that would make their record a lil better than 3-7 wouldn't you think?
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:I do not think they will dominate the 58th. I have followed Pburg basketball and the 58th really close since around 2000 and I know Magoffin plays only BL and Pburg on a yearly basis. Since 01-02 season Pburg has a 10-2 record against Magoffin and from what I can remember BL has a 7-3 record against them and these are usually a 3 seed in the 58th. From 2000-2004 SF was the dominate team in the 58th. I think Magoffin is a solid team and the 58th will be very competetive every year.

This one to be exact.. why don't you get some basketball sense and check out a teams record, or even look at the KHSAA web site befor declairing you'r not wrong...
Lonesome Pine Rider Wrote:Well oh pal you are mistaken on one of you previous post's because the past 2 years Magoffin has played betsy layne 4 times and won all 4 so that would make their record a lil better than 3-7 wouldn't you think?

You are correct that BL has lost 4 the last 2 years but like I said in the post FROM WHAT I REMEMBER. I did go check KHSAA and since 00-01 season Magoffin has 6 wins and 7 losses to Betsy Layne giving them 8 wins and 17 losses to the 2 58th teams they play regular which is Pburg and Betsy Layne and these teams are basically average teams in the 58th definatley not dominate. So back to the point of this ridiculous statement that Magoffin would dominate the 58th, where is the proof to back up that statement?

In no way am I saying Magoffin won't compete year in and out and will win their share of district champs and runnerups but I do not see how a statement they will dominate can be made.
Tricky Wrote:How would it be any more of a hardship on South Floyd than it already has been on Magoffin?
Try driving from Magoffin to Inez or Louisa.

I would agree with you that it is no more of a hardship for SF or from what traveling Magoffin does already. In the last 2 years SF has travel in a non-district schedule to play at Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Perry Central, Clay County, Morgan County, & Breathitt County so it would not appear to cause any undo hardship.
MC,JC & PHS have such a long history of playing each other in the same district, it would be a shame to see that split up. Whatever KHSAA is going to do they will do, but I hate to see it happen.