Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Games decided by Officials (A Sad Time)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is a sad time in KY High School Sports when the officials have become such a part of the game as to decide the outcome. I have watched over 35 high school ballgames this year and I can remember at least 20 of them being decided not by the players but by the officials. Some were decided against my team and some were decided for my team. Sad.

Unfortunately, these were mostly 15th Region Officials. What I witnessed in Hi Hat, KY on February 28 at the 58th District Tournament was the most attrocious display of officiating I have ever seen. I believe that the officials are out of position, they are out of shape phycially and unable to see what is going on. They appear very lazy. I know a "15th Region official who has "name edited" lost a lot of weight and his officiating has improved. He was not at Hi Hat. In closing, it is a shame that High School Seniors must have thier high school career ended because of incompedence of certain officials. The only thing consistant about them is they are bad, real bad. Some of them just want to be seen.

I have been wanting to say something all year, but I did not want retailiation against our players. Now that the season is over I will say what needs to be said.

I know this is a touchy subject for the Moderators, but someone has to say something before it is too late. Whomever is in control of the officials need to do something to improve thier knowledge of the game and rules.

I hope someone out there will print this off and give it to the officials. They need to be aware of the heartbreak of children they are affecting. They need to witness kids crying in frustration. Maybe then these officials would either quit or work to make themselves better, there should be no in between.

Great officials are ones that seem to be invisable on the floor, they are not out there to be seen. They control the game in a way as not to decide the outcome. It has become a circus in Eastern Kentucky. A Sad Time.
Get a life man, you lost deal it with and stop crying. How many shots did your team miss, how many fouls shots did they miss, how many turnovers did they have, how rebounds did they have, how hard did they work on defense? Look at these stats, before you blame the refs. But most fans dont have the ability to be objective, therefore it's always the refs fault....GET REAL:mad:
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:It is a sad time in KY High School Sports when the officials have become such a part of the game as to decide the outcome. I have watched over 35 high school ballgames this year and I can remember at least 20 of them being decided not by the players but by the officials. Some were decided against my team and some were decided for my team. Sad.

Unfortunately, these were mostly 15th Region Officials. What I witnessed in Hi Hat, KY on February 28 at the 58th District Tournament was the most attrocious display of officiating I have ever seen. I believe that the officials are out of position, they are out of shape phycially and unable to see what is going on. They appear very lazy. I know official Mike Walker has lost a lot of weight and his officiating has improved. He was not at Hi Hat. In closing, it is a shame that High School Seniors must have thier high school career ended because of incompedence of certain officials. The only thing consistant about them is they are bad, real bad. Some of them just want to be seen.

I have been wanting to say something all year, but I did not want retailiation against our players. Now that the season is over I will say what needs to be said.

I know this is a touchy subject for the Moderators, but someone has to say something before it is too late. Whomever is in control of the officials need to do something to improve thier knowledge of the game and rules.

I hope someone out there will print this off and give it to the officials. They need to be aware of the heartbreak of children they are affecting. They need to witness kids crying in frustration. Maybe then these officials would either quit or work to make themselves better, there should be no in between.

Great officials are ones that seem to be invisable on the floor, they are not out there to be seen. They control the game in a way as not to decide the outcome. It has become a circus in Eastern Kentucky. A Sad Time.

In reference to last night, I for one am happy that the official had the guts to call the foul on Betsy Layne during the attempted put-back by Chayse Martin of Prestonsburg just before time expired. Many times, the officials would not call that foul and just let the game be played out by the young men on the floor, even though if that particular play had happened earlier in the game the whistle would be blown immediately. It was a good judgement call by the official at that particular time and Martin had a chance to send the game into overtime on his free throws. So in hindsight, the players did decide the outcome, and Prestonsburg came up 1 point short in one of best 58th District games I've seen in sometime.

As for earlier in the contest last night, Betsy Layne had a sizeable foul advantage until Prestonsburg coach took a technical and started receiving some calls in his favor as the Blackcats were able to play aggressive defense without being worried about picking up the cheap foul. That helped to keep them in the game - and what a game it was.

Players provide the entertainment, officials provide the drama.
jammin' jamey Wrote:In reference to last night, I for one am happy that the official had the guts to call the foul on Betsy Layne during the attempted put-back by Chayse Martin of Prestonsburg just before time expired. Many times, the officials would not call that foul and just let the game be played out by the young men on the floor, even though if that particular play had happened earlier in the game the whistle would be blown immediately. It was a good judgement call by the official at that particular time and Martin had a chance to send the game into overtime on his free throws. So in hindsight, the players did decide the outcome, and Prestonsburg came up 1 point short in one of best 58th District games I've seen in sometime.

As for earlier in the contest last night, Betsy Layne had a sizeable foul advantage until Prestonsburg coach took a technical and started receiving some calls in his favor as the Blackcats were able to play aggressive defense without being worried about picking up the cheap foul. That helped to keep them in the game - and what a game it was.

Players provide the entertainment, officials provide the drama.
Great post! the players did decide the outcome!!!:beavis:
I have seen nearly 70 games this season and I will go on record I have seen less than 4 decided by an officials call.
A large majority of the games I have seen have been decided by teams that didn't shoot it particuraly well, didn't handle it very well, coaches that didn't coach very well, or teams that didn't defend very well.

I think it is completely unfair to blame officials as a general statement.

Yes, they are human and they miss calls...players are human as well and miss shots...coaches are human and make bad decisions and lose their tempers and cost their team...and we, as fans don't always behave very well.

While eastern KY does not have an abundance of officials, we have some good ones.
Are they completely consistant??? Are the players???
Am I ??? Are you???

Come on guys, blaming the refs is the easy way out.
:mad: Well when you have a high school game and a District Tourney and there are over 80 fouls called in on game come on. And then in the same tourney a team only make 4 basket in the 2nd half of the game and still wins because they shot 30 free throws in that same half, yea there is something really wrong with the officials in this region. And NO thats not why we lost but it played a very big part in the out come. To sit in the stands and watch a coach who has never showed anything as far as being upset with the officiating to finally show that he was extremely upset at them that shows just how bad things were last night.
I did not like the fact that a set of brothers called the 58th game last night. This should never happen, maybe in a regular season game but never in a tourney game.
what difference does it make that they are brothers?
UK Fan14 Wrote:I did not like the fact that a set of brothers called the 58th game last night. This should never happen, maybe in a regular season game but never in a tourney game.
I don't understand.
Why does it matter that they are brothers???
Well it needs to be during the Tourney, starting from the District Tourney on up that the Regions should swap Regions and not call that Region they have all year. I know it sounds stupid but then its on a more even playing field. Just like the officials that are high school coaches shouldnt be allowed to officiated in the same Region they coach in also. They may be good officials but its still not right to allow it.
Yea I dont know that it matters they are brothers and what the problem may be there as well.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:It is a sad time in KY High School Sports when the officials have become such a part of the game as to decide the outcome. I have watched over 35 high school ballgames this year and I can remember at least 20 of them being decided not by the players but by the officials. Some were decided against my team and some were decided for my team. Sad.

Unfortunately, these were mostly 15th Region Officials. What I witnessed in Hi Hat, KY on February 28 at the 58th District Tournament was the most attrocious display of officiating I have ever seen. I believe that the officials are out of position, they are out of shape phycially and unable to see what is going on. They appear very lazy. I know a "15th Region official who has "name edited" lost a lot of weight and his officiating has improved. He was not at Hi Hat. In closing, it is a shame that High School Seniors must have thier high school career ended because of incompedence of certain officials. The only thing consistant about them is they are bad, real bad. Some of them just want to be seen.

it is true i wacthed it go on for 15 years they have favorites.
It's a big difference when you want a fair game from all 3 refs and 2 are brothers. They will back each other instead of being objective.
you all really to get your butts out there and try it, but nope you'd rather sit there and complain and degrade these guys. How would you all feel if they would come to your jobs and yell at you,,hey man you suck, your terrible..etc.
The reality is the refs are going to always take the heat and the fans are going to always seek to the lay the blame and point fingers. I wish people would realize it's just a game! If people were as passionate about church as they were silly ball games what a great world this would be. Could you imagine painting your preachers name on your car windows, or making signs they say preach brother preach, or sit in the pews and cheer him on! Wow! I guess i live in a fantasy world. I said all that to say this, remember there are much more important things in life! If you are a true fan, be a positive one and show support for your team and coach, and stop all the childish whining!!!
This thread is being monitored.
Please do not name names and personally attack officials.
Well if someone can sit and totally degrade someone and can sit and cuss for 32mins i would find it hard to belive that they are a christian, there is a lot more to being a christian than going to chruch! I would have swore that Chrsit said that christians were to be the light of the world, and to be not conformed to this world! to quote the great God fearing man Forrest Gump " thats all i have to say about that"!
Well to start with you can yell at officials and not cuss them, Oh I forget that never happens and to get on here and question someones faith in Christ is too much.
First of all, its completely ridiculous to blame the outcome of the game on the refs. It is mostly up to the players to decide if they really want it. As far as the Lawrence/Magoffin game last night, I thought it was called pretty evenly. Some bad calls back and forth, but I defintely wouldn't say that was the reason Magoffin won. Lawrence County had plenty of opportunities to come back.
5_blush_5 Wrote:First of all, its completely ridiculous to blame the outcome of the game on the refs. It is mostly up to the players to decide if they really want it. As far as the Lawrence/Magoffin game last night, I thought it was called pretty evenly. Some bad calls back and forth, but I defintely wouldn't say that was the reason Magoffin won. Lawrence County had plenty of opportunities to come back.

Well I never said that was the reason they lost but come on only 4 made baskets along with the 30 free throws in the 2nd half.

Yea we had our chances and didnt cash in on them.
This thread took less than 20 posts to drift off topic and take on a religious tone.
I'm closing the thread before someone gets ticked off and gets suspended...probably me.