Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne-52 Prestonsburg-51
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys, it's hard to blame the refs in a game this close. Both teams had their shot to win and the players decided the outcome in the end. Think about it, Betsy Layne scored ONE field goal in the 4th quarter, the running layup by Case that gave them a 52-50 lead with seconds to go. Prestonsburg had every chance to pull this game out, especially late. The Blackcats never gave up, lot of heart shown on the court and gutsy shots, especially by Hall. It was a great game and unfortunatley, someone had to lose.
Great post jammin'. There are times that the refs seem to give another team the edge but in this one, it does sound like it could have been anyone's game. Especially with them running neck to neck all the way until the end.
blackcat_student Wrote:First off congrats to Betsy Layne! Second I'm not one to complain about officiating but the zebra's missed a whole lot of calls tonight. Congrats to the Blackcat Seniors, you guys had a wonderful career. On the game it was close throughout the first half but, the second Justin Collins of Betsy Layne went off from behing the arc, hitting 3 straight three's and then a two pointer. Again Congrats to the Blackcat Seniors, Mason Vance, Trevor Patton, Chayse Martin, and Micheal Hernandez.

Trevor Patton is a Senior? Thought someone said he was a Junior.
I know the BL is a decent team, but I am really surprised by this one, considering that P-burg has been improving. Sounds like neither team could do much in the final quarter.

Congrats to Betsy Layne on a trip to the Region!
jammin' jamey Wrote:Guys, it's hard to blame the refs in a game this close. Both teams had their shot to win and the players decided the outcome in the end. Think about it, Betsy Layne scored ONE field goal in the 4th quarter, the running layup by Case that gave them a 52-50 lead with seconds to go. Prestonsburg had every chance to pull this game out, especially late. The Blackcats never gave up, lot of heart shown on the court and gutsy shots, especially by Hall. It was a great game and unfortunatley, someone had to lose.

I do agree you can't blame the refs because Pburg did opportunities to win. I did find a couple of calls/no calls funny though, especially watching it back on tape. Mike Hall at one point in the 4th held his hand up to call a BL foul but never blew his whistle and let the play go on, Pburg ended up with the ball but thought that was funny.

As for the game both teams played hard and really wanted this game. The blackcats played with a lot of heart when they could have quit. They came from 10 down with just over 3 minutes and took the lead by one on a Hall 3. Thanks to the Blackcat seniors for a great season and you guys will be missed as players and individuals. Keep your head up Martin your 17 points kept the Blackcats in the game and one free throw did not lose the game.

Unoffiacial Game Stats
PBurg: Martin 17, Hall 16 (14 2nd half), Hughes 6, Stephens 5, Patton 4, Vance 2
Blackcats shot 13-22 from the free throw line (made 3 in 4th), 4-17 from 3 and 27 rebounds.

BL- Collins 22 (13in 3rd), Case 12, Newman 9, Whitt 4, Blair 2. I missed the other scoring.
Bobcats shot 14-26 FT (all scoring except winning basket in 4th was FT), 4-16 from 3 and 18 rebounds.

For the District tourny games played so far I think BL's J Collins is a front runner for UPOY.
I'm glad to see that BL won because I don't think I could take anymore of that "Pburg always peaks at the end of the year" stuff...
If you weren't at the game you don't need to say "don't blame it on the refs." If you were there, and even if you weren't for BL or Pburg you would agree the game was the worst called game you've probably ever seen.

I am not one to blame refs. Of course there are bad calls and such. But so many on just one team? I don't think so. Personally myself I love the "block" that was called on G-Nat Stephens for standing there with his hands up at the top of the key and Brennan Case running buy him and sticking his elbow into GNat's stomach. That was probably the best call made all night! NOT!
15thRegionX Wrote:Trevor Patton is a Senior? Thought someone said he was a Junior.

He's a Senior.
Congrats to both teams on a good game.
Im not putting any team down, but you could tell the officials were for betsy lane not pburg.
Ref's call what they see. You may complain but there is nothing you can do. I complain all the time but its just a huge waste. So just congratulate BL and move on.
Oh BTW what about them 10 blocks by Eric Arnett of Magoffin...
15thRegionX Wrote:Oh BTW what about them 10 blocks by Eric Arnett of Magoffin...

What does that have to do with a Betsy Layne and P-burg game?
Mike Hall and Sean Hall are brothers and used to ref with coach barry in younger years.
Im not a fan of either team, but stuck around after the first game. Seems to me like things were pretty fair. Who cares what the foul count was in the second half? Some teams play cleaner than others. Fouls are earned not given. Also I thought it was a great game! Congratulations BL! If a team is good enough to win IMO it deosnt matter what the refs call, the better team will always prevail. To blame the officials is a cowardly way of saying that your team wasnt necessarily good enough to take care of their business on the court. By the way why would an official care who wins...dont they get paid either way?

GOOD LUCK BL!!
congrats to BL bobcats!!!!!!!!!!!
The King Wrote:I'm glad to see that BL won because I don't think I could take anymore of that "Pburg always peaks at the end of the year" stuff...

If you don't like to hear it, don't read Pburg post. Fact is that this is the case for Pburg basketball, especially since 01/02. Pburg more often than not get their bball players about 45 days after most other schools, especially in the 58th. Known mostly for football, the Cats get those football players around the last week of Nov/first week of Dec because they make it to at least the second round of playoffs before losing. Basketball practice starts on Oct 15 thus Pburg starts out playing catch up. As is the case in most years Pburg had 4 of 5 starters and 1 of 2 bench players that they play are football players. And so for the most of Dec they are doing what most teams are in Nov.

Examples:
01/02 Season 10-19 with 6 win after Jan 15 were district runner up and regional team.
02/03 Season 11-17 with 6 wins after Feb 18 were district runner up and region final 4.
03/04 Season 13-17 with 5 wins after Feb 19 were district champs and region final 4.
04/05 Season 18-11 with 13 wins after Jan 15 were district runner up and region final 4.
05/06 Season 15-14 with 8 wins after Jan 14 were district champs and regional team.
06/07 Season 11-17 (0-9 start) with 9 wins after Jan 12 lost first round district.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:What does that have to do with a Betsy Layne and P-burg game?

Because when Patton got 6 blocks a whole new thread was started...Eric gets 10 blocks in a District game and nothing is said about it...the way it should be!
15thRegionX Wrote:Because when Patton got 6 blocks a whole new thread was started...Eric gets 10 blocks in a District game and nothing is said about it...the way it should be!

10 blocks is a hell of a game and by a guard!
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:10 blocks is a hell of a game and by a guard!

Tell me about it. There was some greats blocks. But get back on topic...Congrats BL, and good luck Pburg next year.
Pages: 1 2