Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jenkins Women Missing After Army Chopper Crashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OAHU, Hawaii -- An Eastern Kentucky native is among five crew members still missing, after an Army Black Hawk helicopter crashed off the coast of Hawaii overnight.

The Associated Press reports officials lost contact with the helicopter during a night-time training exercise around 10 p.m., Hawaii time.

Jenkins Police confirm to EKB News that the family of Letcher County native Abigail Milam was informed this morning that she was aboard the helicopter when it went down.

Milam is a 2001 graduate of Fleming Neon High School and studied at Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College prior to joining the Army.

AP spoke to Army officials who say search and rescue crews began combing the waters off of Oahu immediately after the air crew lost contact, and continue their search this afternoon.

EKB News will provide more information, as soon as it becomes available.

http://www.ekbtv.com/news/jenkins-woman-...pter-crash
This is so sad. I know the odds are stacked against it, but I hope they find her and the other soldiers alive and well.
I saw this morning there is still no sign of any survivors of this tragedy.
Coast Guard suspends search for 5 aviators missing after Army chopper crash
HNN Staff
Aug 21, 2017 06:35 PM
NORTH SHORE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Coast Guard and Army made the tough decision Monday to suspend the search for five aviators missing since late Tuesday, when their Army helicopter crashed off Oahu's North Shore.

"Our five soldiers, who represent the best and brightest of America, have not been found," said Maj. Gen. Christopher Cavoli, commanding general of the 25th Infantry Division, in a news conference.

"The active search and rescue was suspended only after careful consideration of all of the available information. It was a difficult decision for all of us, and the families most of all."

Cavoli said operations now move to the next phase — a recovery mission and an effort to figure out what caused the crash.

The search and rescue effort was suspended at noon, and family members were notified of the decision about 9 a.m.

Coast Guard Rear Adm. Vincent B. Atkins, commander of the Coast Guard 14th District, said the decision to suspend a search without finding survivors "is extremely difficult given the depth of its impact."

"I know I speak for the entire Coast Guard when I say our thoughts and prayers are with Army helicopter squadron and particularly with families and loved ones of those missing," he said. "

The massive search for the five soldiers started shortly after the chopper went down and continued through the weekend, extending to up to 160 miles off Kaena Point and as far as Niihau.

Coast Guard officials said crews searched by air and sea around the clock in their effort to find the missing aviators. Their search area covered over 96,000 square miles.

"We have saturated the area," said Coast Guard Lt. Scott Carr.

Through the week, officials held out hope that the aviators would be found. But with every passing day, the chances of survival declined.

The Black Hawk chopper based out of Wheeler Army Airfield's 25th Combat Aviation Brigade crashed two miles off Kaena Point late Tuesday during a routine training mission. The five on board were active duty soldiers — two pilots and three crew members.

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow...d=bVzKBHzJ
Seems like there is a lot of military air craft accidents the past couple of years