Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Open Job: Breathitt County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With Amis leaving to take the Eminence job, who takes over the Bobcats?
Wow what is brewing at Eminence? Does it remind Amis of Buckhorn? Does have some benefits if explored properly.
Heard Brandon Hayes left June Buchannon... Is he a favorite being a former Bobcat?
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Wow what is brewing at Eminence? Does it remind Amis of Buckhorn? Does have some benefits if explored properly.

Robert Paul Amis was never at Buckhorn!
It's Doug Noble's job to take if he wants it, from what i'm hearing.
Who knows for sure though. Chairman of the board hired their husband's first cousin as girls coach even though he has no coaching or playing experience. Her husband may have another cousin that's a janitor or something that may need the extra pay to coach, who knows. The smart hire is Doug Noble though.
Any news on a coach yet?
Have heard that John Noble was the front runner
John noble would be a good hire if they can get him but I think Breathitt will have a hard time giving him what he would want to come.
Strikeout King Wrote:Have heard that John Noble was the front runner
It would be a huge hire I don't think it'll happen.
I hear SEVERAL applications have been submitted. I have not heard a front runner at this point.
Still no word on this job? You would think they would want to get someone in place asap.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:John noble would be a good hire if they can get him but I think Breathitt will have a hard time giving him what he would want to come.

Breathitt County pays really good. But I think the majority of the community and school culture and climate keeps any good coach from wanting to come, and if they do come they don't seem to stay very long.

No way he would consider moving his family to Jackson. No way he should agree to go into the classroom either. It's just different. A lot of the good young talent has migrated up the hill to Jackson City, plus O'Hair went to Estill County, and Parks is now at Hazard.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Breathitt County pays really good. But I think the majority of the community and school culture and climate keeps any good coach from wanting to come, and if they do come they don't seem to stay very long.

No way he would consider moving his family to Jackson. No way he should agree to go into the classroom either. It's just different. A lot of the good young talent has migrated up the hill to Jackson City, plus O'Hair went to Estill County, and Parks is now at Hazard.

I agree.
Breathitt is a coaching graveyard. The school system is littered with ex-boys coaches like Glen Napier, Doug Noble and Steve Banks. Not to mention Baker, Denny Fugate, Roscoe Denny, Amis etc etc... The whole school system has always been controlled by a few. Now its even worse. Breathitt County schools is no different now then when controlled by disgraced former superintendent, Arch Turner. The chairman of the board's husband controls every personnel move up too and including the coaches. His first cousin with no playing or coaching experience was recently hired as the girls coach. Whats worse is he has a son that is or will soon be a Bobcat. He will hand pick the boys coach to his liking and if his son is not taken care of this coach will be dismissed, no matter how good a coach he is. That is a fact. Whats worse this board member and her husband are not even graduates of Breathitt Schools. Both are Riverside Alumni.
Breathitt is a top five job in the 14th region, in my opinion. The only coaching jobs that would be considered a better job than Breathitt would be Knott, Hazard, Perry Central and maybe Letcher Central. Other than these schools, I don't see any coaching jobs in the 14th region being any more attractive. The problem is the "state takeover" of the school system and the negative impact it has had on sports in general. A lot of qualified people have been scared off and the state tends to want to hire people for these positions who are already in the school system. John Noble would be the clear cut choice if he applied, but I don't see him wanting the job at this time. Whenever the state is no longer in power of the school system, I think everyone will see drastic improvements in all high school sports.
Cat Daddy Wrote:Breathitt is a top five job in the 14th region, in my opinion. The only coaching jobs that would be considered a better job than Breathitt would be Knott, Hazard, Perry Central and maybe Letcher Central. Other than these schools, I don't see any coaching jobs in the 14th region being any more attractive. The problem is the "state takeover" of the school system and the negative impact it has had on sports in general. A lot of qualified people have been scared off and the state tends to want to hire people for these positions who are already in the school system. John Noble would be the clear cut choice if he applied, but I don't see him wanting the job at this time. Whenever the state is no longer in power of the school system, I think everyone will see drastic improvements in all high school sports.

I think Powell County and Estill County are better jobs without a doubt. Leslie County and Wolfe County IMO are also.

As far as all "other" aspects go. You should walk the halls at BHS, then go to Hazard, KCC, LCC, Powell or Estill and observe. The culture and atmosphere is night and day. No way anyone would uproot their child from a good school system and force them to go to BHS just so they could coach a sport, for any amount of money. Previous supt didn't even bring his child, and that position is the highest paid job in the district.
rawlingsfan Wrote:I think Powell County and Estill County are better jobs without a doubt. Leslie County and Wolfe County IMO are also.

As far as all "other" aspects go. You should walk the halls at BHS, then go to Hazard, KCC, LCC, Powell or Estill and observe. The culture and atmosphere is night and day. No way anyone would uproot their child from a good school system and force them to go to BHS just so they could coach a sport, for any amount of money. Previous supt didn't even bring his child, and that position is the highest paid job in the district.

I'm sorry, but any time a school system is under state operation for an extended period of time, you're going to see a decline in the atmosphere and the culture. There isn't a lot of enthusiasm within the school system, at this time. However, as I said earlier, when the state is no longer in charge, you are going to see a different environment. With that being said, Breathitt has a greater tradition than Estill, Powell, and Wolfe and to my knowledge it is a better paying job than all three listed above, although I may be wrong. At the end of the day, we will have to agree to disagree.
I agree with CatDaddy. When the state comes in, they want to gain control of the culture. The quickest way is to pay close attention to athletics. If you notice where the state have been before, the athletic programs decline.....over time they are in disaray. Also I agree with the statement that the state wants you to hire within the district, a teacher that's already employed by the district. John Noble would be a great hire.... he has proven to do more with less. Hopefully Doug Noble will agree to coach
At this point I think it's hard to say Breathitt is a better job than several schools. Their youth programs aren't near what they used to be and their high school has lost a lot of its enrollment in the last 5 years. They're in the All A now that tells you a lot right there. One thing you can't do at a small school is have constant coaching changes. You are fighting a uphill battle already against the larger schools and recruiting. I don't see Breathitt returning to a regional threat till they find a coach for longer than 2 years.
Who is Breathitt going to hire ?
Wolverine Wrote:Who is Breathitt going to hire ?

From within the system....
Heard that Breathitt interviewed today. Not sure who all they interviewed though. Any word on the hire yet?
roscoe denny. john noble already turned them down
So did Roscoe Denny just apply or get hired? Last I had heard of him he was dealing with some Heath issues. Hope he's doing better. He sure knows the game as well as anyone.
Reds#1Fan Wrote:At this point I think it's hard to say Breathitt is a better job than several schools. Their youth programs aren't near what they used to be and their high school has lost a lot of its enrollment in the last 5 years. They're in the All A now that tells you a lot right there. One thing you can't do at a small school is have constant coaching changes. You are fighting a uphill battle already against the larger schools and recruiting. I don't see Breathitt returning to a regional threat till they find a coach for longer than 2 years.

Breathitt is not a 1a school my friend. The tournament allows a team or two from different classes to participate if there's not enough teams. Breathitt is still 3a.
Just heard John Noble to be announced as Coach
JOBAKKA Wrote:Just heard John Noble to be announced as Coach

That's correct.
I think that has to be a slap in the face to Buckhorn. He steps down to take an administrator position within the same school system and turns around and gets the breathitt county job. he must have figured out that the well is drying up in Buckhorn, better get out while you still have a good record
I dont think its a smack in the face to anyone. Maybe it was a time for a change for John Noble. Sometimes change is good. Hope nothing but the best for him. Whatever he does, I will support him. Great coach and even better person.
Pages: 1 2