Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: KHSAA mandates masks for pitchers, 1B and 3B
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Next season all pitchers, first basemen, and third basemen will wear masks. Very well may prevent a terrible injury.
That is truly wonderful news.
To be completely honest, I don't agree with this at all. I'm all for safety, but these girls have played 16 years without one and have to completely change there game now. And yes, it dies make that kind of difference.
Instead of going full bore like they always do, the KHSAA should have set up a timetable on this where starting 7th graders will wear a mask and everyone after that. Leave the current players alone. IMO it really hinders the 3rd basemans and pitchers vision
I understand the rule and the pitcher maybe needing one but 1st and the hot corner? Im not sure about that?..Ive been around baseball and softball for a long,long time and Ive seen few injuries from line drives and all of those were youth leagues were there was 10 year olds playing with younger kids like 7 year olds etc. Ive never seen an injury at the corners from line drives..
Now that's just my exp, Ive no doubt others have seen it.. Id like to hear more opinions about it ?
I am all for it !! Good job khsaa!!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:To be completely honest, I don't agree with this at all. I'm all for safety, but these girls have played 16 years without one and have to completely change there game now. And yes, it dies make that kind of difference.
Instead of going full bore like they always do, the KHSAA should have set up a timetable on this where starting 7th graders will wear a mask and everyone after that. Leave the current players alone. IMO it really hinders the 3rd basemans and pitchers vision

Blacksmith Wrote:I understand the rule and the pitcher maybe needing one but 1st and the hot corner? Im not sure about that?..Ive been around baseball and softball for a long,long time and Ive seen few injuries from line drives and all of those were youth leagues were there was 10 year olds playing with younger kids like 7 year olds etc. Ive never seen an injury at the corners from line drives..
Now that's just my exp, Ive no doubt others have seen it.. Id like to hear more opinions about it ?

Guys, no offense, but you're both terribly wrong and uninformed about this. We almost saw complete disaster (death) in this past season. Others took major line shots and sustained terrible injuries. Others took major shots and played the next pitch because they were wearing a mask. It's just a matter of time until one of our girls dies. I literally stand on a softball field year round in school ball, leagues, or travel. I go to showcase tournaments (with the best athletes in the country that have amazing abilities to protect themselves with their glove), and they're all wearing masks. I come home and see kids foolishly refusing to wear the mask for a brief 3-month season. High school pitchers have about 34-35 feet to react (It's not 43 feet--do the math considering how far they stride out and where the ball meets the bat). This isn't baseball with 60 foot pitching mounds and 90 foot base paths. And NO, the mask DOES NOT hinder an athlete's performance. Ask any parent of any pitcher, 3rd baseman, or 1st baseman in Kentucky today if they object to this rule.
Anything on the side of player safety is hard to dispute. Players impacted by this rule will make the adjustment quickly with plenty of face mask use between now and next season wheever the opportunity is there to do so.
No offense taken I respect your opinion and it's obviously an informed one. I was only relating my own exp. as I said I wasn't sure about it and wanted to hear more opinions
This is one time the khsaa got it right. Hopefully they will mandate for the shortstop and 2nd base soon. Personally my child doesn't step on a field for game or practice without a mask and heart guard. These mask don't hinder performance and after a few times kids don't even know their wearing them. It's just common sense.
All for it. My niece plays 3B