Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Eric Hall... King Kelly's right hand man?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
no one ever herd about my great uncle eric hall who was number two in scoring for Wayland in '56 behind the King..... averaged 17 points per game.... wish he would get some respect... and lets not forget this.... go cats!!!!!!!!!!!! TongueirateSho
I was just in a Wayland store today and was looking at all the pics and stuff about King Kelly, I'm young I've not really heard any of the stories or stats about him or you'r uncle anyone care to share?
.houshmandzadeh. Wrote:I was just in a Wayland store today and was looking at all the pics and stuff about King Kelly, I'm young I've not really heard any of the stories or stats about him or you'r uncle anyone care to share?
There isn't enough bandwidth! The "King" might quite possibly be the greatest high school player ever!
He is the greatest high player ever from KY. Not enough room to write all the stories. My favorite King Kelly quote though was "which quarter". Some of you all might remember what I'm talking about.
I would have loved to see the "king" play!
I heard "The King" could drop 50 plus on ya after drinking a 12 pack. He was recruited by Rupp and refused to move up and play college.

Eric Hall must have been to "The King", as Scotty Pippen was to Michael Jordan.
King actually played at U of West Virginia but broke his ankle in a pick up game, and finished off his last years at Kentucky Wesleyan.. very dissapointing for so much potential
Ive seen old video tapes of King Kelly play, its some of the greatest things ive ever seen in my life. BY far the greatest.
my favorite was when the king walked off the floor took off his jersey and said i could have dropped 100
thepasttime Wrote:my favorite was when the king walked off the floor took off his jersey and said i could have dropped 100

And the thing about it, he could have to.
Anyone interested in the history of Wayland High and King Kelly needs to spend about an hour at the Wayland Historical Society and check out the great stuff on display. Jerry Fultz can tell you some great stories!
Jerry Fultz was quite a player also for Wayland. King Kelly has several good players that were on that "56 team". That was the main thing, even though Kelly was such a great player the otherboys seemed to realize what was going on and they didn't mind NOT getting their name in the paper. They would have rather seen Wayland Wasp in there for winning. Has time changed that much for todays basketball? How many average players get very much attention for scoring a few points if they don't play on winning teams? The tapes of Wayland in the state tournament are fun to watch and again Kelly was head and shoulders above the players he was up against.
I tell ya, I wish some school would pick up the mascot name of "WASP". Is that not awesome. I remember a team at Wayland also, I think about 1969-70. Three D1 players came of that team. Jackie Pack-Austin Peay, Mabley "Bud" Martin-Clemson, and Larry Patton-Viginia Commonwealth.
yeah, my papaw is from over that way, id like to stop in and check it out. my papaw has tried to tell me stories but he is getting to old to remember them now that i actually am willing to listen.
That was a good team that year and were the regional runner-up to Maytown I believe. They also had 2 or 3 D-1 players that year. Bud Martin went on to Clemson where he was a starter for them. Great guy and player. Jack and Larry were also very good players and of course Jack is still one of the better coaches around whether girls or boys.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:I tell ya, I wish some school would pick up the mascot name of "WASP". Is that not awesome. I remember a team at Wayland also, I think about 1969-70. Three D1 players came of that team. Jackie Pack-Austin Peay, Mabley "Bud" Martin-Clemson, and Larry Patton-Viginia Commonwealth.
Advance Eagles Wrote:I heard "The King" could drop 50 plus on ya after drinking a 12 pack. He was recruited by Rupp and refused to move up and play college.

Eric Hall must have been to "The King", as Scotty Pippen was to Michael Jordan.

haha yeah ive got some family in wayland and they all said that he played the best while drunk
Wyatt Earp Wrote:That was a good team that year and were the regional runner-up to Maytown I believe. They also had 2 or 3 D-1 players that year. Bud Martin went on to Clemson where he was a starter for them. Great guy and player. Jack and Larry were also very good players and of course Jack is still one of the better coaches around whether girls or boys.

This is correct, Maytown went to State that year with Pat Talent and crew. Another interesting tidbit is that Mabrey "Bud" Martin also played baseball at Clemson. He was great catcher. Concerning Larry "Pole" Patton he did go to VA. Commonwealth and I believe that Danny Johnson from Wheelwright also went with him.