Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: House passes minimum wage increase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you feel about this vote for an increase in minimum wage? Is it good or bad for Kentucky and why? Who will it help and who will it hurt if it is passed by the Senate as well?

Here is a link regarding this inforamtion:
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16750863.htm
About time!
OffTheHook Wrote:About time!

Amen.
Thank God! I would LOVE to see the Senate pass it. It's about time they raise minimum wage. I think it'll help out alot of people who work at say McDonalds or other minimum wage jobs and that be THEIR career because it'll give them more money to pay bills and buy the things they need. I think it'll hurt small businesses who do good to pay their employees the $5.15 per hour.
I think it is almost impossible for someone to raise children off of $5.15 an hour. I make $6.50 at the daycare and I am a college student with no kids and I struggle tremendously.
EVERYONE no matter what job they are doing should make at least 7 dollars an hour. That doesn't even sound like much but it's almost a 2 dollar increase from the current minimum wage. The cost of living is on the rise and will NEVER go any cheaper. The cost of gas has skyrocketed within the last 5 years and it takes what FIVE hours of work to buy a tank of gas to get to and from for a few days? It takes around 2 hours of working to be able to go out to lunch and have a good meal? In my Juvenile Delinquency class we studied that low pay is a major cause of poverty and social injustice and can contribute to rising levels of crime and social deprivation. Low paying jobs are forcing teenagers, as well as adults, to turn to alternative sources of incomes such as robbery and drug deals. Children that grow up in impoverished neighborhoods and are low on the economic chart will have higher changes to grow up and be criminals.

The most common arguments against raising the minimum wage were that doing so would hurt the economy as a whole and harm the employment prospects of low-wage workers but this has really been disproved. Paying their workers the salaries that they deserve should increase productivity and bring in more customers so it will eventually even out. Some business owners may have a smaller roll to put into their pocket at the end of the day but the workers are the ones who bust their asses day in and day out on their job AND when they go home just to make ends meet. They are the ones who deserve it.
Minimum wage needs to be raised. It's very expensive to live right now... It seems like the price of everything has went up...
Again I say that minimum wage NEEDS to be increased espically now that I am trying to get a job. It would make it so much better to be a cashier or to rent movies...
I'm on the fence. I'm afraid if it does increase, won't the price of everything go up? Then what about the people who make above the increase already and are struggling, won't this hurt them?
What is it going to be increased to?
Work commission like I do and minimum wage has absolutely no effect. I am paid based on performance. If i don't sell I don't make any money. All my expenses are out of pocket and I do not get reimbursed. I think that more people should be put on commission. I have seen to many people standing around for their minimum wage while there are others busting their *** for their minimum wage. Put them on commission and if they don't perform they don't get paid. Solves a lot of problems with lazy people.
airball3 Wrote:What is it going to be increased to?

If passed by the Senate, it would go to $7.25 over the next 2 years.
Again I am saying that I would love to see it increased however if and when it is increased the price of everything WILL go up.
DTfan Wrote:Again I am saying that I would love to see it increased however if and when it is increased the price of everything WILL go up.

AGREED!
DTfan Wrote:Again I am saying that I would love to see it increased however if and when it is increased the price of everything WILL go up.

The price of EVERYTHING has already been increasing for years except min wage. With 2 working parents at min wage, they still quilify for assistance. The cost of living keeps going up and up, so its time to adjust and try to give people a chance.
Prices Will Go Up Because Business Owners Will Not Take The Hit.