Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Using a City name to identify a school.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Louisville Male or just Male?
Lexington Henry Clay or just Henry Clay?
Covington Holmes or just Holmes?
Owensboro Apollo or just Apollo?

Do people from other areas of the state use the City name to identify a school from that City? I know several people from the 14th, 15th and 16th regions. Most, not all of them will refer to a team from Lexington as Lexington ------ or a team from Louisville as Louisville -------.

I understand there are different reasons why some people do that, not everybody knows where Tates Creek or where Central is at. I've always noticed the fans who are around my parents age do this (upper 50's).
"I remember when we played Lexington Tates Creek in the Sweet 16."

Johnson Central, Knott County Central, Pike County Central, Perry County Central, McCreary Central, Knox Central, Letcher County Central, Madison Central, Floyd Central.... these are schools who local people would refer to as 'Central', so I can see adding Louisville to describe Louisville Central. Same thing can be done for Southern, Eastern and Western.

It seems like the Lexington, Louisville, Covington, Owensboro area teams still grab peoples attention in the Mountains.
"We've got Louisville Ballard coming to town this season."
"I'm gonna go watch them play Lexington Bryan Station next Friday night."
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Louisville Male or just Male?
Lexington Henry Clay or just Henry Clay?
Covington Holmes or just Holmes?
Owensboro Apollo or just Apollo?

Do people from other areas of the state use the City name to identify a school from that City? I know several people from the 14th, 15th and 16th regions. Most, not all of them will refer to a team from Lexington as Lexington ------ or a team from Louisville as Louisville -------.

I understand there are different reasons why some people do that, not everybody knows where Tates Creek or where Central is at. I've always noticed the fans who are around my parents age do this (upper 50's).
"I remember when we played Lexington Tates Creek in the Sweet 16."

Johnson Central, Knott County Central, Pike County Central, Perry County Central, McCreary Central, Knox Central, Letcher County Central, Madison Central, Floyd Central.... these are schools who local people would refer to as 'Central', so I can see adding Louisville to describe Louisville Central. Same thing can be done for Southern, Eastern and Western.

It seems like the Lexington, Louisville, Covington, Owensboro area teams still grab peoples attention in the Mountains.
"We've got Louisville Ballard coming to town this season."
"I'm gonna go watch them play Lexington Bryan Station next Friday night."

You have too much time on your hands. lol
I probably missed a school, but these are the KHSAA member schools I found that have a direction in their name. North, South, East, West or with Central in the name.

Central
Bullitt Central
Floyd Central
Johnson Central
Knox Central
Livingston Central
Madison Central
McCreary Central
Warren Central
Hopkins County Central
Knott County Central
Letcher County Central
Perry County Central
Pike County Central
Todd County Central
Newport Central Catholic
Central Hardin

South Oldham
South Laurel
Southern
South Warren
Southwestern
Madison Southern

North Laurel
North Oldham
North Hardin
North Bullitt

West Carter
West Jessamine
Western
Western Hills

Eastern
East Carter
East Jessamine
East Ridge
Bullitt East
Warren East
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I probably missed a school, but these are the KHSAA member schools I found that have a direction in their name. North, South, East, West or with Central in the name.

Central
Bullitt Central
Floyd Central
Johnson Central
Knox Central
Livingston Central
Madison Central
McCreary Central
Warren Central
Hopkins County Central
Knott County Central
Letcher County Central
Perry County Central
Pike County Central
Todd County Central
Newport Central Catholic

South Oldham
South Laurel
Southern
South Warren
Southwestern
Madison Southern

North Laurel
North Oldham
North Hardin
North Bullitt

West Carter
West Jessamine
Western
Western Hills

Eastern
East Carter
East Jessamine
East Ridge
Bullitt East
Warren East

it said city in there name, not the county.
the school that is name after city.
Hazard
Corbin
Paintsville
Pikeville
Danville
Glasgow
Paris
Newport
Owensboro
Owensboro Cath
Lexington - any school with Lexington in it
Mayfield
Prestonsburg
Elizabethtown
Harlan
Louisville - any school with Louisville in it.
Covington Cath
Barbourville
Russellville
Somerset
Franklin-Simpson
Campbellsville
Bowling Green
Williamsville
Middlesboro
Ashland
Allen County-Scottsville
Berea

I know I left some out. but these are the one I can think of right now. when I think of some more I will post them. unless someone else post want to post them.
cj2561 Wrote:it said city in there name, not the county.

I made this list for teams that share a Direction name or have Central in it.

Saying "Central" could be many different schools depending on what part of the state you are in.

The majority of the KHSAA member schools are named after the City or their County.
cj2561 Wrote:the school that is name after city.
Hazard
Corbin
Paintsville
Pikeville
Danville
Glasgow
Paris
Newport
Owensboro
Owensboro Cath
Lexington - any school with Lexington in it
Mayfield
Prestonsburg
Elizabethtown
Harlan
Louisville - any school with Louisville in it.
Covington Cath
Barbourville
Russellville
Somerset
Franklin-Simpson
Campbellsville
Bowling Green
Williamsville
Middlesboro
Ashland
Allen County-Scottsville
Berea

I know I left some out. but these are the one I can think of right now. when I think of some more I will post them. unless someone else post want to post them.

The bolded proves my point. I was making the point that some people will call the schools from the bigger cities as 'Lexington Bryan Station', 'Louisville Male', 'Owensboro Apollo' or 'Covington Holmes'.

According to the KHSAA school directory, the schools listed below are the schools from Kentucky's four biggest cities with the City name in the school name.

Two schools in Lexington.... Lexington Catholic & Lexington Christian.

Two schools in Louisville.... Louisville Collegiate & Christian Academy-Louisville.

Two schools in Covington.... Covington Catholic & Covington Latin.

Two schools in Owensboro.... Owensboro Catholic & Owensboro.
I know, right??? Louisville Male?
WHAT other Male could they be refering to???
We have the opposite problem in Va... same-name schools NOT 'localized'.
Saw on a WV board that team X has a scrim. vs. Patrick Henry, Va.
Didn't say if it was PH-Glade Spring, PH-Roanoke, or PH-Ashland.
VHSL-helper Wrote:I know, right??? Louisville Male?
WHAT other Male could they be refering to???
We have the opposite problem in Va... same-name schools NOT 'localized'.
Saw on a WV board that team X has a scrim. vs. Patrick Henry, Va.
Didn't say if it was PH-Glade Spring, PH-Roanoke, or PH-Ashland.

Louisville Male, in name, goes way back.....at one time it was THE ONLY MALE high school in Louisville; hence Louisville Male....more of a traditional thing w them more so than anybody in the 'ville to be honest.
hmmmm... after some thinking, it kinda sounds like they kept the gals out back in the early days, and others started HSs that girls could go to.
US News says girls rule 5-4 there now. Couldn't find any 'real' history info on their website or Wiki page. When did they go co-ed?