Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Estill County (17-8) Legit shot at 14th?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Engineers seem to be rolling at the right time. They have won 8 straight and something like 12 of their last 13. They are unbeaten in region play so far (without playing Hazard or Perry) Perry was a rain out, but the two are scheduled to meet again this Saturday in Irvine. Tough weekend coming up for Estill. Letcher on Thursday night (Estill Defeated 3-0 earlier in the season), Hazard on Friday night, and as mentioned, Perry on Saturday. All that being said, do the engineers have a real shot, or is it Perry and Hazard's region?
I don't think they have a shot, just my opinion...
I think if a team other than PCC or Hazard wins region, then that team will have had to have beaten both of them to go to state.

Luck of the draw hasn't had much to do with the team that won region over the past six years. Only one region winner over the past six years drew a 55th district opponent in the first round and that was Powell County in 2012 vs. Breathitt County and Hamilton pitching. For five consecutive years the first round game was decided by two runs or fewer. And the semi-finals wasn't much easier with 4/5 games decided by three runs or fewer during that same span.

YEAR- First Rd Semi-Finals
2016- Hazard 6, KCC 0 Estill Co. 11-0
2015- KCC 5, Estill Co. 4 (8 innings) PCC 6-3
2014- Hazard 3, Powell Co. 2 LCC 9-7
2013- LCC 2, PCC 0 Estill Co. 1-0 (8)
2012- Powell 5, Breathitt Co. 3 LCC 4-1
2011- LCC 10, Hazard 9 Powell Co. 7-2
Its about experience. Knowing how to coach to win a region. In my opinion only 2 teams have the coaching to win the region. You also have to have talent to do so. Hazard is the obvious choice for the front runner in that department. They have coaching and talent and have for years. Perry always has the talent, yet seldom produce come tournament time. Getting the the region championship game is one thing, but being able to pull through is another. Perry has had the most talented team Many times since 2008 and if I am correct they have only had 1 title in that 9 year span. Hazard has won 2, Letcher has 2, and Estill has 2. Perry and Hazard are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone in the talent department, so why not more titles? Especially for Perry. Coaching has a lot to do with winning when it comes to tournament time.
Hazard and Perry this weekend should tell us something
jumpshooter Wrote:Its about experience. Knowing how to coach to win a region. In my opinion only 2 teams have the coaching to win the region. You also have to have talent to do so. Hazard is the obvious choice for the front runner in that department. They have coaching and talent and have for years. Perry always has the talent, yet seldom produce come tournament time. Getting the the region championship game is one thing, but being able to pull through is another. Perry has had the most talented team Many times since 2008 and if I am correct they have only had 1 title in that 9 year span. Hazard has won 2, Letcher has 2, and Estill has 2. Perry and Hazard are leaps and bounds ahead of everyone in the talent department, so why not more titles? Especially for Perry. Coaching has a lot to do with winning when it comes to tournament time.

People were on here saying the same thing about Meehan and Hazard until they ran off 2 of the last 3 titles.

Dixon has won four regional titles at PCC (1996, '99, 2005, 2010) and his teams are ALWAYS competitive come tournament time. There's usually 4-6 well-coached teams in the 14th. In a single-elimination format, the most talented team doesn't always win. They've lost to the eventual 14th region champion in the post season eleven times 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003*, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2015, and 2016. 2003* district first round vs. Hazard, every other game was in regional tournament.
rawlingsfan Wrote:People were on here saying the same thing about Meehan and Hazard until they ran off 2 of the last 3 titles.

Dixon has won four regional titles at PCC (1996, '99, 2005, 2010) and his teams are ALWAYS competitive come tournament time. There's usually 4-6 well-coached teams in the 14th. In a single-elimination format, the most talented team doesn't always win. They've lost to the eventual 14th region champion in the post season eleven times 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003*, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2015, and 2016. 2003* district first round vs. Hazard, every other game was in regional tournament.

3 of those 4 Region Championships came before the Region was more competitive, starting in 2006. Estill has 2 since joining the Region. Imagine how many they would have with being in the 14th the whole time. The mountains wouldn't have known what to do with a pitcher like Jon Kirby. Not saying Estill will win the region this year, because its a long shot, but I am just saying that Perry has underachieved with the teams they have had. Maybe this is their year. Good luck to everyone.
jumpshooter Wrote:The Engineers seem to be rolling at the right time. They have won 8 straight and something like 12 of their last 13. They are unbeaten in region play so far (without playing Hazard or Perry) Perry was a rain out, but the two are scheduled to meet again this Saturday in Irvine. Tough weekend coming up for Estill. Letcher on Thursday night (Estill Defeated 3-0 earlier in the season), Hazard on Friday night, and as mentioned, Perry on Saturday. All that being said, do the engineers have a real shot, or is it Perry and Hazard's region?
That could possibly be the road to the state tournament for them. So depending on how they do this weekend, should let them know where they stand. But someone is going to have to beat Hazard and Perry to get out of this region. Not easy to do.
jumpshooter Wrote:3 of those 4 Region Championships came before the Region was more competitive, starting in 2006. Estill has 2 since joining the Region. Imagine how many they would have with being in the 14th the whole time. The mountains wouldn't have known what to do with a pitcher like Jon Kirby. Not saying Estill will win the region this year, because its a long shot, but I am just saying that Perry has underachieved with the teams they have had. Maybe this is their year. Good luck to everyone.

IMO the 14th region was a lot more competitive prior to 2006...and even more so prior to 1996. Enrollments have been decreasing since the mid '80s. Teams like Leslie County, Cordia, Breathitt County, Fleming-Neon, Whitesburg, Lee County, and Dilce Combs were always competitive. Even Wolfe County and Owsley County managed to win the 56th district a few times in the mid to late '90s. Buckhorn won the regional tournament in 1992. M.C. Napier, Knott Central, Hazard, and Powell County have always traditionally been strong at baseball in the 14th. Two teams reached the Final Four 1991-KCC and 1995-Hazard. Estill County would have been a contender too. But the 14th was much more competitive in the 1990's. There was no guarantee of even making it to the region for most teams.

I agree Kirby was a great player and competitor. PCC had three pitchers on one team that played professional baseball, and the #4 on that team threw it in the mid 80s. KCC had three kids go on to play at Morehead State and contribute to one of the schools only OVC Championships...the MVP of that tournament was Jason Chandler who played at Breathitt County. He ended up playing in the Reds organization.
rawlingsfan Wrote:I think if a team other than PCC or Hazard wins region, then that team will have had to have beaten both of them to go to state.

Luck of the draw hasn't had much to do with the team that won region over the past six years. Only one region winner over the past six years drew a 55th district opponent in the first round and that was Powell County in 2012 vs. Breathitt County and Hamilton pitching. For five consecutive years the first round game was decided by two runs or fewer. And the semi-finals wasn't much easier with 4/5 games decided by three runs or fewer during that same span.

YEAR- First Rd Semi-Finals
2016- Hazard 6, KCC 0 Estill Co. 11-0
2015- KCC 5, Estill Co. 4 (8 innings) PCC 6-3
2014- Hazard 3, Powell Co. 2 LCC 9-7
2013- LCC 2, PCC 0 Estill Co. 1-0 (8)
2012- Powell 5, Breathitt Co. 3 LCC 4-1
2011- LCC 10, Hazard 9 Powell Co. 7-2

Honestly, luck of the draw has a lot to do with it, regarding pitching. IMO
mountain hoops guru Wrote:That could possibly be the road to the state tournament for them. So depending on how they do this weekend, should let them know where they stand. But someone is going to have to beat Hazard and Perry to get out of this region. Not easy to do.

You are correct, but I am not so sure this weekend will tell the tale. Pitching match ups are always important, and I am not sure Estill will throw their guys. Not sure Hazard and Perry will either. Estill threw their guy against a Letcher team who did the same, same guy who through against Hazard when they beat them 7-4. Estill won that match up 3-0. Very good game. My guess is that LCC will not see anyone of importance and neither will Hazard or Perry. Just my thoughts though.
jumpshooter Wrote:Honestly, luck of the draw has a lot to do with it, regarding pitching. IMO

Nobody is getting in the opposite bracket of both Hazard or Perry Central. In you opinion is the best draw getting one of them right off the bat in the first round?

This is all hypothetical because Leslie County played Hazard a close game the last time they played....and anything can happen come tournament time. LCC, KCC, Powell, and Estill will all more than likely be in the field, and any of them could potentially play spoiler on Memorial Day.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Nobody is getting in the opposite bracket of both Hazard or Perry Central. In you opinion is the best draw getting one of them right off the bat in the first round?

This is all hypothetical because Leslie County played Hazard a close game the last time they played....and anything can happen come tournament time. LCC, KCC, Powell, and Estill will all more than likely be in the field, and any of them could potentially play spoiler on Memorial Day.

Best draw IMO would be Hazard or Perry in first round. Then, there is no question. Throw your ace and see what happens. Never easy to lose a game come tournament time with your ace in the hole.
Tonight's game with Letcher Central has been canceled. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow's games in the Bill Orme Classic are canceled as well with 70% rain in the forecast
It's pouring down in both Richmond and Irvine. I doubt the games today will get in
Estill will have a shot if a couple of upsets happen. Their big concern is going to be facing a pitcher with a descent fastball. The game I saw them, they had no chance. They were overmatched against Bourbon County. If I'm not mistaken one kid had all their hits. If they can overcome the bat speed issue then I think their chances will increase.
Today's game with Perry Central has been canceled