Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher Central a serious contender to win the 14th!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Letcher could be in the running to be the next 14th region champs in my opinion. Cougars get overlooked by a lot of teams during tourney time.
They need to play more Central Ky teams. Estill and wolfe play a much harder schedule than Letcher and it shows come tournament time.
No way Letcher wins the region. 3 teams have a realistic shot. Estill, Hazard and Perry. With Hazard and Perry having the best chances. They need to draw each other in the district for anyone to have a real shot IMO. Hard to beat one in the semi's and then turn around and beat the other in the championship. Estill has the opportunity to see where they are in a couple of weeks. They have already beaten Letcher this year, but will have Letcher, Hazard and Perry 3 days in a row coming up soon. If they can hang with Hazard and Perry, look out. Clark County is dominating teams right now, and they only beat Estill 4-0 at Clark when Estill did not have one of their top 3 guys on the hill. All this being said, Letcher has very little shot, if any. Estill only has a shot if Hazard and PCC draw each other IMO.
I thought I was in the Softball Thread lol. Estill and Wolfe are the Top 2 Softball teams in the region. Not in baseball, Perry and hazard are head and shoulders above the rest of the region.
This is hysterical. Perry and hazard throw their 4&5 pitchers against Letcher every time. They have no shot against Hazard or Perry.
If I'm not mistaken, hazard threw Morris against LCC and Perry threw Cottongame or Conley both games. Neither of those 3 are 4&5 pitchers. Letcher may have threw their 4&5
Ford threw 3 2/3 and Morris threw 3 1/3. Both excellent pitchers with Ford being the one that really flies under the radar. He is capable of coming in relief in a hurry or starting and going deep in a game. He has been steady for the bullldogs all year. Throws strikes and gets outs.
Letcher Central has won 11 straight, including wins over Hazard, Perry Central, and a good Lawrence County team.

Regardless of who pitched for the Bulldogs, or the Commodores, the thing that would concern me is the fact that they only scored 3 runs and 2 runs respectively in their losses to LCC.
Lawrence County and LCC had a great game end with a terrible call at the end. I hated to see these kids play that hard have maybe the worst call in a high school game I've ever seen. Lawrence County was starting 2 7th grades and no Jrs or Srs in the lineup either. Lawrence Co future looks bright. Congrats on a great season so far to LCC and good luck the rest of the way.
fewfirstchoice Wrote:Lawrence County and LCC had a great game end with a terrible call at the end. I hated to see these kids play that hard have maybe the worst call in a high school game I've ever seen. Lawrence County was starting 2 7th grades and no Jrs or Srs in the lineup either. Lawrence Co future looks bright. Congrats on a great season so far to LCC and good luck the rest of the way.

On that play, I was told this is what happened:

LCC had bases loaded, 1 out, down 4 runs. Line drive to RF. Runner on 3B and 2B score, runner on 1B hesitated and the Lawrence County RF played it on a hop and threw a strike to second base. The SS stretched like a first baseman, getting the force out.....or so everyone thought. That would have been 2 outs, runner on first, and Lawrence up 2 runs. Instead, the umpire didn't call it a force out, refused to change his call, and the game continued until 3 more runs pushed across.

I guess my question is how umpires can sleep at night when making calls like this that affect young kids who are being taught to handle things like men? Even when it's obvious something fishy is going on......:HitWall:

As for Lawrence County, they have been forced to play guys that should be playing middle school or JV this year because of injuries and have exceeded expectations. They started two freshman, two 7th graders on the infield. A sophomore catcher. Two sophomore OF's and ZERO seniors on defense this year. Not to mention their pitching is also NO SENIORS. They will return 100% of the innings for next year.
It was a terrible call, and the LCHS players and coaches handled themselves very well in light of such a call.

Wishing the Dawgs good luck in the upcoming District and Region.
UKisN1 Wrote:It was a terrible call, and the LCHS players and coaches handled themselves very well in light of such a call.

Wishing the Dawgs good luck in the upcoming District and Region.

Was the game at Letcher? If so....was Hall one of the umpires?? He's by far the worst around. He's horrible. Home cookin' all night long
Yes...Wright made the call.
Its a two team race Hazard and Perry. Letcher will not be able to beat them back to back or for that case no other team in the 14th Region. Wait and See
hoghead Wrote:Its a two team race Hazard and Perry. Letcher will not be able to beat them back to back or for that case no other team in the 14th Region. Wait and See

It's single elimination baseball. Powell Co., Estill Co., or Knott Cent. have the capability of knocking off Hazard or Perry Cent. in one game. Letcher Cent. or any of those other three teams could possibly get to the finals without facing Hazard or Perry Cent. Stranger things have happened. Seems like as of late the team that has had the tougher road to the finals has won the 14th.

In 2011, 2012, and last year it was a district finals rematch with the district runner-up winning region.
2016- HAZARD (Knott Cent., Estill Co., at Perry Cent.)
2015- KNOTT (Estill Co., Perry Cent. at Powell Co.)
2014- HAZARD (Powell Co., Letcher Cent., Estill Co.)
2013- LETCHER (Perry Cent., Estill Co., Powell Co.)
2012- POWELL (Breahitt Co. - Hamilton pitching, Letcher Cent., Estill Co.)
2011- LETCHER (Hazard, Powell Co., Knott Cent.)
Hazard and Perry are getting way to much credit in this thread! Letcher is the hottest team going into the regional winning 13 of their last 14 beating Perry and Hazard along the way ! Better not sleep on LCC the bulk of this team is the state tournament little league team from Neon a few years back ,lots of talent ! So keep on downing this team and trying to convince yourself how good the 2 Perry County Schools are ! Sounds a little like your confidence is broken!
touchdownkentucky Wrote:Hazard and Perry are getting way to much credit in this thread! Letcher is the hottest team going into the regional winning 13 of their last 14 beating Perry and Hazard along the way ! Better not sleep on LCC the bulk of this team is the state tournament little league team from Neon a few years back ,lots of talent ! So keep on downing this team and trying to convince yourself how good the 2 Perry County Schools are ! Sounds a little like your confidence is broken!

Hottest team coming in? Estill has won 16 of their last 18 including a shut-out win over Letcher
Strikeout King Wrote:Hottest team coming in? Estill has won 16 of their last 18 including a shut-out win over Letcher

Estill Co. has beaten exactly one team over that span with a winning record, that was LCC. Schedule was not very strong down the stretch. Best wins came against Madison Southern and Lincoln County. Both have losing records but upset district favorites Madison Central and Danville respectively.
Talk is cheap, Region is this week. We will see who is holding the trophy come Wednesday night. Won't be Letcher or Estill Co
You are right about talk Baseball! That is all the Perry and Hazard fans have done all season ,while true baseball fans have watched them limp down the stretch ! Both teams have not played well down the stretch ! No improvement, peeked and fizzled! We shall see!
touchdownkentucky Wrote:You are right about talk Baseball! That is all the Perry and Hazard fans have done all season ,while true baseball fans have watched them limp down the stretch ! Both teams have not played well down the stretch ! No improvement, peeked and fizzled! We shall see!

Looks like that limp healed. And for what it's worth, I read these threads every night and I've seen very few, if any, Hazard fans say anything overly boastful. I've just seen people that follow baseball picking Hazard or Perry to win. I also think 29-8 is a little better than peeked and fizzled when you compare that to 19-15. But, like you say talk is cheap.
touchdownkentucky Wrote:You are right about talk Baseball! That is all the Perry and Hazard fans have done all season ,while true baseball fans have watched them limp down the stretch ! Both teams have not played well down the stretch ! No improvement, peeked and fizzled! We shall see!

The above quote is total BS. I haven't heard any PCC or HHS fans brag about baseball on this site. Basketball is a little different.
Letcher had a solid team. I actually thought hazard would have more trouble with letcher then PCC. But Morris was dealing tonight.