Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What would it take to have a Jersey removed from Rupp's Rafters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By now, we've pretty much all heard about the tragic ending of Aaron Hernandez's life. But he was a 1st round NFL Draft pick and First Team All-American Tight End at Florida. The four pics below are a sequence of events for the cement plaque outside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

The plaque.
[Image: 95616_ncf_hernandezbrick_300.jpg]

Being removed.
[Image: aaronweb26s-1-web.jpg]

The plaque that no longer exist.
[Image: Aaron-Hernandez-Florida-Brick.jpg]

The way that spot looks now.
[Image: empty-brick.jpg?w=574&h=430]

Yes, Aaron Hernandez was convicted of murder and, IMO, Florida handled this properly. As sad of a situation as it was, the right steps were taken by removing his All-American plaque. The old saying "It's set in stone" is now a Moot argument.

Seeing this got me wondering, what would somebody have to do to have their Jersey removed from the Rafters at Rupp Arena? Richie Farmer served time in Federal prison and his rafter is still hanging up. Not sure if anybody else has had a criminal conviction like Richie. As prestigious as having a jersey retired at UK is, there has to be a very fine line of what will be grounds for removal. My second question is, if a jersey did need to be removed would that be a UK decision or a Rupp Arena/City of Lexington decision?
I think the Hernandez situation was something that had to be done or backers of the program would start raising some eyebrows. Surprising it took this long.
Spud6 Wrote:I think the Hernandez situation was something that had to be done or backers of the program would start raising some eyebrows. Surprising it took this long.

They removed his plaque right after he was charged with the first murder about 2 or 3 years ago.

I was down at The Swamp earlier this month, the spot where his plaque was is just a blank piece of granite like the pic shows. I remember seeing them removing his stone on a few websites the day it happened.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:They removed his plaque right after he was charged with the first murder about 2 or 3 years ago.

I was down at The Swamp earlier this month, the spot where his plaque was is just a blank piece of granite like the pic shows. I remember seeing them removing his stone on a few websites the day it happened.

Oh ok, that makes much more sense.
He's a true piece of garbage, however, I'm just no into removing stuff.
He didn't kill thay guy while at florida.
I think you leave it and make it part of the lore.
But we all know PC libs would never leave that alone.
If the don't take the Farmer jersey down they will never take one down period