Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel 12- Corbin 2. 5 innings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Enough said!
Went and watched first 4 innings. Really not impressed with either team. As far as pitching goes Owens from Clay probably the best. Gregory is an illegal pitch every time and Stidham and Lawson were ok but have no defense behind them. All in all North better
Softball Queen Wrote:Went and watched first 4 innings. Really not impressed with either team. As far as pitching goes Owens from Clay probably the best. Gregory is an illegal pitch every time and Stidham and Lawson were ok but have no defense behind them. All in all North better

Watched entire game and didn't see one illegal pitch called. I couldn't see feet placement, etc from my viewpoint, so I can't comment. I do think Owens is a nice pitcher. Stidham has nice location and changes speed well, but got zero help from her defense. Lawson didn't look any different from last year when she pitched for South. Gregory limited Corbin to 5 hits. A couple of those were aided a bit by poor defense.
Gregory takes a full foot to 2 foot step back before coming forward with left foot. In ASA both feet must be on mound to start pitch. I do not think she would be as effective, definitely slow her down to the low fifties if called. It was not called during game but definite. Watched Lawson against Harlan Co. Threw a lot harder then compared to tonight. Only games I watched Corbin. Defense killed them and lack of coaching.
Stidham pitched well I thought
Softball Queen Wrote:Gregory takes a full foot to 2 foot step back before coming forward with left foot. In ASA both feet must be on mound to start pitch. I do not think she would be as effective, definitely slow her down to the low fifties if called. It was not called during game but definite. Watched Lawson against Harlan Co. Threw a lot harder then compared to tonight. Only games I watched Corbin. Defense killed them and lack of coaching.

But this isn't ASA. That motion is illegal in travel ball. However, National High School Federation rules, which is what is in play here, allow a step back. Trust me, she isn't the only high school pitcher you'll see using that style.
If she puts her hands together before taking the step back on the mound is an illegal pitch in NHSF. Please do not get me wrong she is a good pitcher but still illegal
Wow. Great game by North!
Kudos to North.
Haven't really had a hiccup this year.

Middlesboro has a pitcher that most teams in this region cant touch.
Corbin is the only other team that could challenge North IMO and pull off an upset if everything goes there way.

I went out and watch Wburg and South play last night.
Wburg had South beat and blew it at the plate. Was tied 2-2 in bottom of the 7th with runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. Couldn't get a run across and Souths pitcher smacked a 3 run homer in the top of the 8th.

That will be a good first round district game and South could easily be sitting out of region for the first time ever this year.
After watching Williamsburg against North last night, I could see them doing that. Tye is a really nice pitcher, North had been crushing the ball lately, but she kept them off balance quite a bit. WBurg will have to be better offensively, but South's pitching is not as strong as North's, so they will have a very legit shot.
Van Hagar Wrote:After watching Williamsburg against North last night, I could see them doing that. Tye is a really nice pitcher, North had been crushing the ball lately, but she kept them off balance quite a bit. WBurg will have to be better offensively, but South's pitching is not as strong as North's, so they will have a very legit shot.

I fully believe wburg is just as good as South. And should be better next year. If they had a big power thrower to use with tye then they could be good
Seems there bats are what hold them back. They can hit, but just aren't doing it.
North may have threw a perfect game against them, but wburg played pretty solid d against them as well. Few dropped balls in left cost them.
I was at the state tourney and for all of you that said Payten Gregory does not pitch Illegaly should have been there. A few pitches into the first game illegal pitch called for stepping back. Called in all 3 games. You would think the 13th region coaches and umpires would know rules . Could have changed the season for several different teams
Softball Queen Wrote:I was at the state tourney and for all of you that said Payten Gregory does not pitch Illegaly should have been there. A few pitches into the first game illegal pitch called for stepping back. Called in all 3 games. You would think the 13th region coaches and umpires would know rules . Could have changed the season for several different teams

I didn't get a chance to see Gregory pitch this year. I seen the 8th grader a couple of times but always had something come up before I was on my way so I can't comment. I am interested in if the coaches will actually bring this up of that's the case.

As for your comment on 13th region umps, I couldn't agree more. They are some of the most uneducated in the state and several teams of umps call the exact same teams almost every so for week from what I noticed.
Im just glad the two old guys who were usually at Corbin are finally gone or at least I didn't see them. The best crew I seen was Amherst and his partner who are usually at wburg or Whitley. They seem pretty consistent but the rest are all over the place in terms of strikezones. Getting Darrell behind the plate is a disaster.
Some pitching in this region is horrid though and I fully believe some call strikes just to move the game along.