Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Spring Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious, do they still have spring football in Ky? I would have thought there would be some talk on here about it if there was. Anyway theres only about 16-17 weeks left before the season starts:Clap: Cant get here soon enough for me.
Most Kentucky Schools around here are on Spring Break, practice should start Monday.
Belfry already had their Spring practice. We graduated a lot of big time players. But after watching the 10 days of practice, the Pirates will still be at the top of the mountain in 3A. After graduating almost our entire O-Line, I'm shocked at how big, athletic, and strong we still are and how well their doing. Only real problem I see right now is depth. We could get in a little trouble if we have any big injuries. As far as skill positions, we're going to be just as good as last year. Defensive line will be a working progress but our linebackers and secondary will be stout just like last year and tough to score on. I'm excited for this season to start. With some new players in new roles I'm sure we'll struggle some but there's not a doubt in my mind that Bowling Green will be seeing RED come championship weekend!
Could be Corbin Red
Should be a interesting year for a lot of rebuilding programs
Bossdaddy Wrote:Could be Corbin Red

Could be. But the champs got to be beat first.
SK finished spring foootball last week tgey had a spring game last Friday.
After a great spring practice at the CAM as usual The PIRATES never rebuild we just reload
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:After a great spring practice at the CAM as usual The PIRATES never rebuild we just reload

I think that's what people have been saying for many years, but they just use the R_ _ _ _ _ _ word.
kids03 Wrote:I think that's what people have been saying for many years, but they just use the R_ _ _ _ _ _ word.

Well people will keep crying and we'll keep spanking just like we have for years Lol
Belfry fans are always so humble and tolerable.

Haywood is a great guy, and they have great kids involved with the program. But, everybody else is kind of insufferable.

And I'm sure I'll get a ton of hate on here about that, and that's fine. But, a thread about spring ball has devolved into a Belfry-off within 10 posts.

On the topic: Who are the teams who don't have spring ball?
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Belfry fans are always so humble and tolerable.

Haywood is a great guy, and they have great kids involved with the program. But, everybody else is kind of insufferable.

And I'm sure I'll get a ton of hate on here about that, and that's fine. But, a thread about spring ball has devolved into a Belfry-off within 10 posts.

On the topic: Who are the teams who don't have spring ball?

Until they are not consistently competeting for and winning state championship after state championship, then they have every right to be.
Actually I kind of doubt that Haywood is that great a guy. I will not argue the fact that he is a GREAT coach. One of the best to ever walk the sidelines, but the facts are that the attitude of a coach is reflected in his players. Considering the fact that he has been coaching at Belfry since before WWII I'm gonna assume that everyone on this site played for him. Guess the behavior they exhibit here is what they learned from him.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Actually I kind of doubt that Haywood is that great a guy. I will not argue the fact that he is a GREAT coach. One of the best to ever walk the sidelines, but the facts are that the attitude of a coach is reflected in his players. Considering the fact that he has been coaching at Belfry since before WWII I'm gonna assume that everyone on this site played for him. Guess the behavior they exhibit here is what they learned from him.

Are you being serious?
To Single Wing and Hot Snakes, I would be embarrassed if I didn't know anymore about what I was talking about than you all do, and to attack the character of a great man and an awesome fan base is really out of line. The fact that personal attacks are allowed on this site, which is a clear violation of the rules, is disappointing... I got three words for you haters...GO BIG RED!!
Spud6 Wrote:Until they are not consistently competeting for and winning state championship after state championship, then they have every right to be.

Bowling Green fans aren't like that. Trinity fans aren't like that. I've never met a Mayfield fan who is anywhere near like Belfry fans, both online or off.

Any time I have ever interacted with Belfry fans, it makes me wish that they would lose every game. But, everything I've learned and seen of Haywood makes me want him to have great success.

Maybe I've just been around the wrong pirate fans.
Just out of curiosity Hot Snakes, who and where are the Pirate fans you have actually been around for any period of time?
bucslover68 Wrote:Just out of curiosity Hot Snakes, who and where are the Pirate fans you have actually been around for any period of time?

I've encountered swaths of them annually at the state finals, in drunken hoards.

And I'm pretty sure half of the people on this site are Pirates.

The times I've been in close enough proximity to someone, their demeanor is pretty similar to those online. And this includes the years they lost to Central in the finals.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I've encountered swaths of them annually at the state finals, in drunken hoards.

The times I've been in close enough proximity to someone, their demeanor is pretty similar to those online. And this includes the years they lost to Central in the finals.

It's always dangerous to "broad brush" any group of people. I'm one of the biggest Belfry supporters there is and I certainly don't fit your description and I know many that don't and a few that might. Oh well. Btw, Snakes...what school do you identify with?
As a Knott Central fan from way back, the closet game we ever played was an 18-6 loss (95 or 96) Belfry Nation were always respectful to our players and staff! They are a Class Act!
bucslover68 Wrote:To Single Wing and Hot Snakes, I would be embarrassed if I didn't know anymore about what I was talking about than you all do, and to attack the character of a great man and an awesome fan base is really out of line. The fact that personal attacks are allowed on this site, which is a clear violation of the rules, is disappointing... I got three words for you haters...GO BIG RED!!

I don't see how what I posted was a personal attack on anyone's character. I never said "Haywood is a bad guy". I have an opinion, which was that I doubted that he was a great guy based on what I see on here. My point wasn't that I dislike Haywood. Actually the opposite is the truth, and my previous post was satirical in nature. My point was that everyone on here still represents the rest of the belfry program as well, and Haywood is still included in that group of people. If you love your beloved patriarch so much, then represent yourself with the class and dignity that he shows on a daily basis. I know that the entirety of a fan base is not represented on here, but the majority of belfry posters on this site are obtuse, arrogant, and very abrasive. That being said, there are some posters from Belfry that are as good as it gets, much better than me in fact.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Bowling Green fans aren't like that. Trinity fans aren't like that. I've never met a Mayfield fan who is anywhere near like Belfry fans, both online or off.

Any time I have ever interacted with Belfry fans, it makes me wish that they would lose every game. But, everything I've learned and seen of Haywood makes me want him to have great success.

Maybe I've just been around the wrong pirate fans.

Friend, you do have a point about some of the Belfry fans, believe me I don't like being around some myself. And it's the very ones that you speak of. I was raised to be respectful to all and my momma always told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say about someone to keep my mouth shut and I do my best to live by that. But please don't think that all Pirate fans are like that. The ones you are talking about are the minority and it's a shame that those are the only ones that you've had the pleasure to encounter. Hopefully in the future you'll meet up with some of the good ones and when you do you'll understand what I'm talking about because those people would invite you to their homes, feed you, and give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. Hopefully this post will change the way you feel about us a little, but either way, God Bless you and your school.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I've encountered swaths of them annually at the state finals, in drunken hoards.

Drunken hoards? I hope that's hyperbole.

I can guarantee you you'd be welcomed with open arms at every pregame tailgate at Belfry wearing whatever school you want to represent. Free food, fun, conversation, and camaraderie. And I dare say any Pirate fan would buy you a hotdog and Coke at any halftime you're available.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Actually I kind of doubt that Haywood is that great a guy. I will not argue the fact that he is a GREAT coach. One of the best to ever walk the sidelines, but the facts are that the attitude of a coach is reflected in his players. Considering the fact that he has been coaching at Belfry since before WWII I'm gonna assume that everyone on this site played for him. Guess the behavior they exhibit here is what they learned from him.

Your words. Saying someone is not that great a guy is questioning their character. You said it. Own it. Belfry fans are who they are...the good, the bad, and the ugly. Like the SEC motto says, it just means more at Belfry... I don't get on here and mouth how great we are, but I will defend our coach when people like you say that one of the finest Christian men walking is not that great of a guy.
I will say this, two years ago when we went to Belfry for the semi state game, the fans I met were top notch. Met a guy who graduated the same year I did and we talked about a few different things. From football to the coal industry. He was a really nice guy and I do believe he would've bought me a coke and a hotdog, as I would've him. My problem is with the posters on here, which I do believe are in the minority. Every fan base has them and I don't take it personally when a Belfry poster calls the ones from Corbin out. Hopefully the guys on here who are in the majority know that I'm not talking about them when I'm talking about those who are in the minority. I honestly hope Belfry wins every game unless they play the redhounds. If we could both win titles that would be awesome, but unfortunately it can't happen that way. Looking forward to another great game at the CAM this year. Hopefully we will pull out the win, but if we don't I hope Belfry gets that elusive "thumb ring".
Totally agree Single Wing. Best of Luck.
Belfry fans and UK Basketball fans have a lot in common.

There is probably not a more loyal and devout following pound for pound in all of Kentucky.

I would dare say there is not a program with more diehard fans or fans who "care" as much. They take great pride in travelling well. A prime example was the Knoxville Catholic game this past year. That place was standing room only and had a Semi-Final playoff vibe and that was with Belfry travelling over 4 hours.

Every fanbase has that 10% to them that go way too far, make fools of themselves, and give people a bad rap. Even Webster County or Fulton City has that 10%... the only difference is with Belfry that 10% is a much, much larger number than the 10% at other schools simply due to simple math.

I have seen and heard things that have left me speechless and ashamed. Heck at the State Finals I even heard a woman (who I dont even know who she is) complain about the Central band and that she was going to report them to the KHSAA for playing music even when the game was being played (I mean seriously what does that hurt anything?!?!?!?).

I have also swelled up with pride in the past when I have seen a tailgate with 15+ Russell fans welcomed freely into the group or seen people go the extra mile to make sure a late arriving wheelchair bound fan from Breathitt County was given a seat on the home side on the main walkway and even had a coffee brought over to them.

It comes down to the fact that for every idiot there is a fan who exudes everything you would want, but thanks to the joy of anonymous message boards those idiots that otherwise wouldn't care enough at other programs that are not successful are now given a platform to stand on and be loud and show the world how dumb they are.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry fans and UK Basketball fans have a lot in common.

There is probably not a more loyal and devout following pound for pound in all of Kentucky.

I would dare say there is not a program with more diehard fans or fans who "care" as much. They take great pride in travelling well. A prime example was the Knoxville Catholic game this past year. That place was standing room only and had a Semi-Final playoff vibe and that was with Belfry travelling over 4 hours.

Every fanbase has that 10% to them that go way too far, make fools of themselves, and give people a bad rap. Even Webster County or Fulton City has that 10%... the only difference is with Belfry that 10% is a much, much larger number than the 10% at other schools simply due to simple math.

I have seen and heard things that have left me speechless and ashamed. Heck at the State Finals I even heard a woman (who I dont even know who she is) complain about the Central band and that she was going to report them to the KHSAA for playing music even when the game was being played (I mean seriously what does that hurt anything?!?!?!?).

I have also swelled up with pride in the past when I have seen a tailgate with 15+ Russell fans welcomed freely into the group or seen people go the extra mile to make sure a late arriving wheelchair bound fan from Breathitt County was given a seat on the home side on the main walkway and even had a coffee brought over to them.

It comes down to the fact that for every idiot there is a fan who exudes everything you would want, but thanks to the joy of anonymous message boards those idiots that otherwise wouldn't care enough at other programs that are not successful are now given a platform to stand on and be loud and show the world how dumb they are.

Very well said! There's good and bad in every fan base but with a fan base as big as Belfry and as rich in tradition, they are going to be more scrutinized than most.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry fans and UK Basketball fans have a lot in common.

I agree 100%! That is exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post. Every fan base has these types of fans and sites like these, and I'm not throwing off on BGR at all, I love this site, but it does give ignorant people the chance to get on here anonymously and talk garbage about things they know nothing about and make the true sports fan from their respective schools look bad while sitting behind a keyboard. We just have to realize that there's nothing we can do about this except learn how to recognize the true fans from the trouble makers and not judge an entire fan base so harshly. And this goes for Belfry and everyone else. I love Kentucky High School Football and love seeing how much love and pride that other people have for their schools and it makes for some awesome discussions on here. But most of the time that one person will turn a great thread around by posting something stupid and completely off topic and get people arguing and taking shots. We have to stop that. My son plays for Belfry but that will not stop me from cheering on other schools, especially the mountain schools, when their not playing the Pirates. Lastly, I would like to say good luck to all the KY high school football programs on the upcoming season and I hope for an injury free season for all players state wide. Good Luck!
I don't never have a bad word to say until someone starts talking bad about us i take it personal because my son is on the team so when you talk about Belfry I feel your talking about him I guess I have thin skin but every time you get on here and say anything you always have someone start talking so me and some of the other Pirate faithful try to defend our school and it always ends up like this I will never be sorry for defending our football team or coaching staff
Pages: 1 2