Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Magoffin County: The Class of the Mountains?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did a little research and here's what I came up with. Starting with the 2000/2001 season and leading up to this point in the year, the Magoffin County Lady Hornets have a combined record of 110-40 (73%) against mountain teams (13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th regions). Just thought I'd throw that out there and see what everyone thought. It's a very impressive stat IMO.
yeah pretty impressive, gj lady hornets you deserve the recoginition
Lawrence Wrote:I did a little research and here's what I came up with. Starting with the 2000/2001 season and leading up to this point in the year, the Magoffin County Lady Hornets have a combined record of 110-40 (73%) against mountain teams (13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th regions). Just thought I'd throw that out there and see what everyone thought.
i think you got to much time on your hands its saturday get a date
The Fan Wrote:i think you got to much time on your hands its saturday get a date

First of all if you are going to criticize someone, at least do it right. I think what you are trying to say is: I think you have too much time on your hands. It's a Saturday, get a date. Obviously you never learned any grammar. Second of all, looks like you don't have a date either or you wouldn't be posting on here. Honestly, what kind of point are you trying to prove?
[QUOTE=Lawrence]First of all if you are going to criticize someone, at least do it right. I think what you are trying to say is: I think you have too much time on your hands. It's a Saturday, get a date. Obviously you never learned any grammar. Second of all, looks like you don't have a date either or you wouldn't be posting on here. Honestly, what kind of point are you trying to prove?[/QUOTE]
That perhaps we all need to get a life??
Lawrence Wrote:First of all if you are going to criticize someone, at least do it right. I think what you are trying to say is: I think you have too much time on your hands. It's a Saturday, get a date. Obviously you never learned any grammar. Second of all, looks like you don't have a date either or you wouldn't be posting on here. Honestly, what kind of point are you trying to prove?
Excuse me for the the improper use of the Queen's English.I will consult the grammer police before my next post , and my point was its a JOKE dont freak .
man, it was just research Im glad he did I wanted to know that lol
The Fan Wrote:Excuse me for the the improper use of the Queen's English.I will consult the grammer police before my next post , and my point was its a JOKE dont freak .

Grammar police? Looks as if you need to go back to elementary school. My eleven year old brother could do better than that.
Very impressive stat. No need to criticize people that try to help other people out by looking up stats.
Wow! Good job Hornets!
Pretty impressive, looks like someone did their homework.
BTW, did anyone see the article in the Paintsville Herald about the rise of The Lady Hornets.
Lawrence Wrote:Grammar police? Looks as if you need to go back to elementary school. My eleven year old brother could do better than that.
it was a joke sorry let your lil brother read it he might think it was funny seriously that was good research
mcfan1 Wrote:BTW, did anyone see the article in the Paintsville Herald about the rise of The Lady Hornets.
what edition
great work stats lawrence thanks for that tid bit of info if you could i would love to know on all their college signees and pts per game and such against those teams...
just read the article on paintsville herald web site very nice article
yeah but I hated the end lol it left me wondering
I can't believe they have lost 40 games! Where was I? I guess they lost about 30 of those from 2001-2002.
Rise of the Hornets
Trio has led team to 82 wins in 100 games

by Jason Hurt
Paintsville Herald Sports Columnist

The Magoffin County Lady Hornets’ basketball team is poised for a return trip to E.A. Diddle Arena and the KHSAA state basketball tournament.
They currently hold a 23-3 record, playing perfect in 57th District action while losing only once to 15th Region foes.
To say that Lady Hornets’ basketball has come a long way is the understatement of the last dozen years.
It wasn’t easy at first.
The girls basketball program at Magoffin County High School was disbanded sometime in the early 1980s and was not reorganized until 1993. That’s when current Magoffin County boys’ coach Neil West took over. Current girls’ coach Steve Miller joined him a year later.
The two long-time friends struggled the first five years and often were beaten by 50 points or more.
Magoffin County Athletics Director Sam Miller remembers a 77-8 loss and can recall a game against Johnson Central when the Lady Hornets could not get the ball across half court in the first half.
“We really struggled those first years,” Sam Miller said. “But through all of the adversity, the coaches persevered, the players believed and eventually prevailed.”
During the 1999-2000 season, West led the Lady Hornets to the .500 mark with an 11-11 mark. They finished a game under average the next year but really broke out in 2001-02. The Lady Hornets went 21-10 and defeated Sheldon Clark 66-61 at Johnson Central to advance to the school’s first regional tournament in girls’ basketball.
It just so happened a trio of talent arrived on the 15th Region stage as seventh-graders that season.
Now seniors, Ashley J. Howard, Brittany Manns and Michaela Howard have been dominant players in this region and beyond. All three have surpassed the 1,000-point club for their prep careers and have led the Lady Hornets to a 131-45 record and five 20-win seasons since they were seventh-graders.
All three girls were on the first regional team and Ashley J. Howard made the All-District team.
“It seems their names always belong in the same sentence,” Sam Miller noted.
All three play basketball with the same exciting enthusiasm. They just play as hard as they can all the time. But they do differ some.
Ashley J. Howard plays with no fear, and without any thought of her own physical care. If the ball’s loose or if the defense gives just a very small inch, she will try to take it. She is just a natural athlete with the ability to score.
I’ve said Manns is the best three-point shooter I’ve seen in a while. And yes, that means boys or girls. She is also very unselfish, driving to the basket (it seems with ease) and finding open teammates.
Michaela Howard has become the most versatile. After recovering from a knee injury, she has become one of the best post players around. She can also step out and hit the three.
And they all can play defense.
As good as this trio is, they still need good complimentary players. And they’ve had talented players around them. According to West, Calloray Howard, Whitney Lovely and Kelli Montgomery are other past players who have scored over 1,000 points as the program kept improving.
There have been several other good players the last few years but one who stands out to me this season is sophomore Ashley Hall.
Hall has emerged to make this trio a quartet of special players. Her reserve role has increased to starter as the Lady Hornets have played through injuries. Hall has taken advantage and picked up the slack left by the injured Ashley J. Howard. She can shoot, play the point, defend and pass. She has scored double figures in several games, including a 27-point night in the Lady Hornets’ latest win against Fleming County.
In a little over a week, the Lady Hornets will vie for their fourth straight 57th District title and second straight 15th Regional crown. They’ve won 82 of their last 100 games.
“The girls deserve all the credit,” Steve Miller said. “I just feel fortunate enough to be their coach.”
Sam Miller also gives credit to the coaches: “Coach West and Miller have been friends since the first grade and this bond helped them to always be on the same page when it comes to coaching and preparation.”
He also noted the work of grade school coach Sanford Holbrook: “Coach Holbrook’s work ethic not only developed some outstanding high school prospects but his teams’ successes motivated the other county grade school programs.”
West led the team to its first regional tournament appearance in 2001-02, and to the school’s first ever win in the regional tournament the next season with a 66-64 win at Shelby Valley.
The school’s first girls’ basketball district title came in 2003-04 and they haven’t lost one since.
Ashley J., Brittany, Michaela, and now Ashley Hall, along with the rest of the Lady Hornets, will try to extend a 10-game winning streak over the next week before they defend their district and regional titles.
There’s only one question left to be answered: Which one of the three seniors is the best?
Sam Miller has the answer.
“Someone asked me that a couple of years ago,” he said. “My reply was, whichever one has the ball.”
Great job by Jason Hurt in writing this article.
All_Sport#1 Wrote:yeah but I hated the end lol it left me wondering
about what
I'm a Knott County fan, but I have watched these girls play since they were in elementary school. Our AAU teams played each other back then. They are super athletes with the hearts of lions. Always were!!!!! Good luck to these girls in the future. Also, I was glad to hear that had to struggle to get where they are today. I remember when we beat them about 40 points a couple years ago. Every team struggles at times, escpecially when they are reloading. I just wish that our parents and fans would realize this. We had had so much controversy this year. It has been detrimental for the plalyers and our team. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Good wishes to you. I always like seeing our mountains players get recognition.
Knott Central only beat MC by 24, and it was a 2 point game at the half.
Not sure that is correct, but you missed the point I was trying to make. Guess I could go back and check the score books. Good luck to your team and your players if you make it to state. I may be from Knott County, but I do support all the mountain teams who make it there.
Always good to see mountain teams do good, I was rooting for KCC when they made it to state a couple years ago. BTW just looked on KHSAA the score was 95-71. MC really wasn't struggling that year, they were 24-6. But I get what you were saying.
Didn't mean to say you were struggling that year, but the post said that the team had struggled in the past. I know that you were a good team that year, but KCC was absolutely loaded that year. Now we are a very young team, very often starting 8th graders and freshmen and several spots in our line up. We've lost lots of games this year, but nearly all of them have been single digit losses. That gives me hope for the future. If you know about basketball, you know that losing usually causes problems with parents and players. We've had more than our fair share this year. If we were winning, I'm sure things would be a lot different. Thanks for the score correction. For some reason, I remember a 40 point difference. Maybe it was another team that I was thinking about. We had a lot of high scoring games that year. Good luck to the team.
The Fan Wrote:about what

the article
KMA Wrote:Didn't mean to say you were struggling that year, but the post said that the team had struggled in the past. I know that you were a good team that year, but KCC was absolutely loaded that year. Now we are a very young team, very often starting 8th graders and freshmen and several spots in our line up. We've lost lots of games this year, but nearly all of them have been single digit losses. That gives me hope for the future. If you know about basketball, you know that losing usually causes problems with parents and players. We've had more than our fair share this year. If we were winning, I'm sure things would be a lot different. Thanks for the score correction. For some reason, I remember a 40 point difference. Maybe it was another team that I was thinking about. We had a lot of high scoring games that year. Good luck to the team.
Yeah they were really talented that year. What ever happened to Galloway?
what did it leave you wondering about
Probably wondering who Sam Miller was talking about when asked which of the girls was better.
Pages: 1 2