Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Meeting professional wrestlers outside of the 'Business'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most everybody that is a frequent to this particular forum knows I'm a big pro wrestling fan. My wheelhouse is from the late 80's to about the end of '99. I have picked up the PPV's because I have the WWE Network, but I don't follow it on a week by week basis.

In 2015 & 2016, I got my KBWC wrestling referee license and worked several shows in Eastern Kentucky. I enjoyed my time doing it, but decided I got my feel and no longer have a desire for the 'business'.

Growing up and even in adulthood, you see pro wrestlers on TV and may even get to attend some live events. It means more to some people than others, but if you're a fan, it is always cool to attend a live show. But take my advice, LEAVE PRO WRESTLERS AS SUCH.... don't try to meet them or interact with them in a manner that is away from a wrestling show. Autograph sessions or photo ops are great, when the wrestler is in character. If they are not in character at a wrestling show, they are terrible and can do nothing but ruin what you think about them. I realize they are human and not always in the best of moods, but take my word for it. If you truly are a fan, leave them as characters, don't try to humanize them.

I've met Jake 'The Snake' Roberts twice, once at a wrestling show I worked in Hazard (he was a punk) and this past Friday at ComicCon in Lexington (he was a punk). I brought an old Hasbro action figure I wanted him to sign, he wanted $40 to sign it and no photo op. I also played his WWF ''Face" theme on my phone as I walked up to his booth. He told me he hated that music and never liked it, but he was more less told he didn't have a choice. Nobody else was at his booth but me, and I didn't want to pay $40 for a small scribble on piece of plastic, he ignored me when I tried to ask him some questions. I was a major Jake 'The Snake' fan growing up, but now all of those memories I had watching him are tainted.
I met DDP at comic con and he was actually a pretty nice guy. I walked right past Jake Roberts, heck, it's a 1000 wonders our shirt sleeves didn't touch...Never though he'd be a jerk but I'd say a lot of the wrestlers are jerks...think their too good for everyone...

Don't really have any interests in seeing, talking too or getting an autograph or photo from slousy Jim Cornett....
This is obviously different for every person.

I was at ComicCon and talked to Jim Cornette, Bobby Blaze, Al Snow and Greg Valentine for a long time and had nothing but a great time.

DDP was nice, but he's trying to sell Yoga subscriptions. Jake has been through a lot and still wants to make money.

I talked to Ric Flair this time and he was great, but the last time I met him it was a bland experience.
I work with a guy that took his son to the comic con and he said that Jake "The Snake" Roberts was as nice as he could be.

I did meet Zaga though, I don't know if that counts as a professional meet or not haha
Strikeout King Wrote:I work with a guy that took his son to the comic con and he said that Jake "The Snake" Roberts was as nice as he could be.

I did meet Zaga though, I don't know if that counts as a professional meet or not haha

Cheapest autograph in town!