Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cattle farming business
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just want to start this post out by prefacing that I know absolutely nothing about this particular business.

Basically I want to know if anyone has any knowledge in this particular area that would be willing to give my young self some advice on and answer some questions for me.
I have around 30 head.
The most important thing is being self sufficient.
To make money you have to have the land. Grow your own hay, grain, etc.
A rule of thumb ive always used is 2 acres per head will keep them fed.
Also knowing how to lime your fields correctly and keeping the land right will go along way.
Its not something you can easily jump into. Now a days most of the farmers you see are only doing it because it was passed down to them. Hard to find land cheap enough to buy up and use for this type of thing.

There is a whole slew of info out there on what to stay away from and what to breed to.I only buy angus.
If you have a good one, id get up with your extension agent for info, especially the land in that area.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I have around 30 head.
The most important thing is being self sufficient.
To make money you have to have the land. Grow your own hay, grain, etc.
A rule of thumb ive always used is 2 acres per head will keep them fed.
Also knowing how to lime your fields correctly and keeping the land right will go along way.
Its not something you can easily jump into. Now a days most of the farmers you see are only doing it because it was passed down to them. Hard to find land cheap enough to buy up and use for this type of thing.

There is a whole slew of info out there on what to stay away from and what to breed to.I only buy angus.
If you have a good one, id get up with your extension agent for info, especially the land in that area.
Thanks for the info, the entension agency. I call them about just getting information about the farming industry? I'm going to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about farming and I have always had an interest for them and wanted to get into the business. I know that you don't make a killing at this business but it's something I want to do. I am currently in college in my junior year going into becoming an educator. We all know two things about the education field and those are they don't work year round and they don't make a lot of money. But if I can make just even a little money extra then that is better than nothing.
Spud6 Wrote:Thanks for the info, the entension agency. I call them about just getting information about the farming industry? I'm going to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about farming and I have always had an interest for them and wanted to get into the business. I know that you don't make a killing at this business but it's something I want to do. I am currently in college in my junior year going into becoming an educator. We all know two things about the education field and those are they don't work year round and they don't make a lot of money. But if I can make just even a little money extra then that is better than nothing.

You can never be rich if you don't try.
Youre doing very well and doing more than 90 percent of kids your age.

Your county extension agent should be located at your extension office. He will know the land as well as anyone, or should anyways. Its a great tool for people starting out and depending on certain things, could possibly help you get a grant to get started.

An extension agent is the same people who would handle your 4H stuff and things like that.

Heres a link. Scroll down below the map and click on your county and it will take you to there page with there contact info.

http://extension.ca.uky.edu/county
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You can never be rich if you don't try.
Youre doing very well and doing more than 90 percent of kids your age.

Your county extension agent should be located at your extension office. He will know the land as well as anyone, or should anyways. Its a great tool for people starting out and depending on certain things, could possibly help you get a grant to get started.

An extension agent is the same people who would handle your 4H stuff and things like that.

Heres a link. Scroll down below the map and click on your county and it will take you to there page with there contact info.

http://extension.ca.uky.edu/county

Thanks for the help RIUTG!